The simFlight Network Forums

auto pilot controls

I just installed the version 4.616, and still have this situation, (using the Kodiak, but does it on other Caronados and AFG), I have set the elevator trim control on the rightmost lever of the CH Yoke, this works great!! great for landings.............anyway, when I turn on the AP, I still have to control the trim with the lever??...........I set a altitude, and it shows up on the screen, but the lever has to be moved to control the set point..........did I set up the axis calibration wrong??............all of the other levers on this and the TQ work perfect, (even better since CH did a rebuild on the TQ!!) B42L8

Version of FSUIPC4 4.60. Reg copy of FSUIPC......(I was so concerned about having the correct version number after reading other posts), I forgot to put in the program...............but the AP reacted with this version same as with previous versions,and I do have most sliders set fairly high, with a 8800GT graphics card, if this had anything to do with it...............B42L8

Moved to a more appropriate location.

I'm not sure whether a hardware trim will overrule the autopilot commands... Does it? It's not something I've ever tried to comment.

Ian P.

I am not a techy, so cannot comment on what does what to whom, ............but when the AP is off, I control the trim with the rightmost lever on my CH yoke, (flaps control by middle lever and spoiler by left lever), WORKS PERFECT!!, but now I switch on the AP, set the altitude, the guage shows a trim up required, but does not cause the plane to rise, only if I physically move the lever up, then on reaching the set altitude, the guage shows level, but again I have to adjust the lever to hold a level flight..............this is not a big deal, and not hard to do, but I am just wondering if I have set the FSUIPC settings wrong, or there is a box left unchecked??............appreciate a comment, and have read enough posts to know that there are some things in FSX or W7,, that just cause some gremlins to cause things to not work as planned...............B42L8

... when the AP is off, I control the trim with the rightmost lever on my CH yoke, (flaps control by middle lever and spoiler by left lever), WORKS PERFECT!!, but now I switch on the AP, set the altitude, the guage shows a trim up required, but does not cause the plane to rise, only if I physically move the lever up, then on reaching the set altitude, the guage shows level, but again I have to adjust the lever to hold a level flight.

You don't say where you've assigned the elevator trim, but if you have done it in FSUIPC then you should know that FSUIPC only processes axis inputs when they change. If the trim axis is preventing the A/P from altering the trim value then the axis must be jittering a little, supplying new values overriding the A/P setting.

... I am just wondering if I have set the FSUIPC settings wrong, or there is a box left unchecked?

If you are assigning in FSUIPC, and so have it Registered, then you should set the option to discard the elevator trim axis inputs when the A/P is set for any vertical control modes. The option is called (surely not too obscurely ?), "Disconnect elevator trim axis for A/P " and has a full paragraph describing it in the Miscellaneous section of the FSUIPC User Guide.

The fastest way to find such things it to use Search -- I found it straight away searching for just "trim".

Regards

Pete