The simFlight Network Forums

What bhappened to this forum???

WTF happened to the format of this forum? Suddenly it is virtually impossible to use it!

There used to be definite delineation between the pinned topics and the new threads.

Now it is just one jumbled mess of difficult to read topic headers. The font really

sucks and the overall design is really bad!

Why must something that WAS functional suddenly become less so, just to make things "pretty"???

Bring back the old forum software!

Paul

Its messed up because there is no announcements section anymore, it can probably be fixed by a moderator or admin by changing the post type. To be honest though this forum section of Pete's could do with a bit of house keeping, it needs a couple of new sub forums creating in it, maybe one called FAQ and another for things like LUA scripts and other pinned user created topics, that would certainly clean things up in here.

You can also go into the user settings for the board and change the amount of topics that are visible of a single page, if you leave it set the way it comes by default you have to go to page two before you get past all the pinned topics, if you set it the the maximum of 40 then things aren't so bad.

I actually prefer this forum software its so much better than PHPBB, its just a shame that this software is so expensive otherwise I would be using it myself on the forums that I run.

I don't know how Pete wants the forum set up, but as Andy says, there is a possibility to create sub-forums which, with somewhere as busy as this one, is probably not a bad idea.

Someone (I have an idea who that'll be! :rolleyes: ;) ) will need to talk to Pete about what he wants done when he gets back.

Ian P.

Its messed up because there is no announcements section anymore, it can probably be fixed by a moderator or admin by changing the post type.

This all happened whilst I was away. I think it's horrid now, but it isn't in my control.

To be honest though this forum section of Pete's could do with a bit of house keeping, it needs a couple of new sub forums creating in it, maybe one called FAQ and another for things like LUA scripts and other pinned user created topics, that would certainly clean things up in here.

Is that even possible? I'll have to check. I'm having a job finding my way around in this mess. :-(

Pete

I don't know how Pete wants the forum set up, but as Andy says, there is a possibility to create sub-forums which, with somewhere as busy as this one, is probably not a bad idea.

When I've caught up with things and can find my way around a bit better, I'll try. Do you know how to do it? At present, altough I'm supposed to be the Moderator I can't even delete posts except my own, same as anyone! :-(

Pete

No, but I think I have access to poke and prod and see what happens... Miguel is the only one so far, to have set up sub-forums, for Burkhard.

I shall investigate. Can you give me an idea of what sub-forum headings might be useful (eg. WideFS, FSUIPC, LUA...) please?

Ian P.

No, but I think I have access to poke and prod and see what happens... Miguel is the only one so far, to have set up sub-forums, for Burkhard.

Yes. Miguel has referred me to Burkhard's forum and asked me if I wanted subforums. I've said yes, with subforums:

FAQ

Announcements

Download links

User contributions

This should allow me to put the old "stickies" in the User part, my download stuff, in categories, in the Downloads part, and split the old Announcements into real Announcements and answers to FAQ.

Can you give me an idea of what sub-forum headings might be useful (eg. WideFS, FSUIPC, LUA...) please?

Oh, you think it might be better split by subject instead of (or as well as?) function? I'm not sure I like that as I like to work through things in sequence.

Regards

Pete