The simFlight Network Forums

Where is the WideClient.exe?

Peter I have a strange problem with the WideClient.exe. After download with my laptop (Mac) I see the WideClient.exe in the folder. I transfered it to my 2nd FSX computer with an winxp system. If I open the folder I saw the WideClient.exe for a short moment and then it disapeared. Really it just disapeared and I have no chance to get it back. Only the Closer app stays. Do you have any idea why? Never had this with any other apps on this machine.

If I download it directly on that machine it is not there when I open the folder after DL???!!!

I downloaded it to another win machine it is not there when I open the folder after DL???!!!

Strange maybe hopefully you are able to help.

Kind Regards Tom

After download with my laptop (Mac) I see the WideClient.exe in the folder. I transfered it to my 2nd FSX computer with an winxp system. If I open the folder I saw the WideClient.exe for a short moment and then it disapeared. Really it just disapeared and I have no chance to get it back. Only the Closer app stays. Do you have any idea why? Never had this with any other apps on this machine.

If I download it directly on that machine it is not there when I open the folder after DL???!!!

The EXE is just a file, like any other. If something is deleting it then it is because you have something running which is deleting it. Maybe you have a virus checker which thinks it has got a virus? Certainly none of my programs can possibly delete themselves, and especially not without actually being run! That would be magic!

Pete

Pete you just gave me the right hint - it looks that my antivirus software AVAST caused the problem. I shut it down the file was there. I switched it on - the file was gone. Strange this happened the first time on all machines where I have AVAST. Normally it asks for actions - in this case not. Now the client is working and connected to the win7 machine.

Thnx a lot Tom

AVAST turned around and informed me that WideClient was a virus yesterday as well when I tried to download it. It looks like their heuristics have decided to pick on it for some reason.

Ian P.

AVAST turned around and informed me that WideClient was a virus yesterday as well when I tried to download it. It looks like their heuristics have decided to pick on it for some reason.

Ian P.

And what did you do - as soon as AVAST is on (after a reboot) the WideClient is gone?!

Maybe you know what to do....?

Kind Regards Tom

I don't know for certain - it didn't delete mine, it just blocked me from downloading a copy, but it's probably in a quarantine folder somewhere. I've never had to rescue a file quarantined by AVAST, so I'm not sure where it hides them, sorry.

Possibly the settings in the AVAST UI might tell you?

Ian P.

I don't know for certain - it didn't delete mine, it just blocked me from downloading a copy, but it's probably in a quarantine folder somewhere. I've never had to rescue a file quarantined by AVAST, so I'm not sure where it hides them, sorry.

Possibly the settings in the AVAST UI might tell you?

Ian P.

Yes it is in the quarantine folder. So I have to figure out how to tell AVAST that this file is ok.... :mad:

I guess not so easy.

@Pete Dowson - do you have any idea why AVAST see it as virus infected?

Kind Regards Tom

Yes it is in the quarantine folder. So I have to figure out how to tell AVAST that this file is ok.... :mad:

I guess not so easy.

All virus programs I've ever used have ways of overriding false positives. Is there no Help or documentation?

@Pete Dowson - do you have any idea why AVAST see it as virus infected?

It's a false positive. Wideclient is compressed and the compression creates binary patterns which are not code at all, but may contain fragments which virus checkers without more extensive checks think are viruses. You either need to overide it or report the false identification to AVAST so they can improve the checking for that specific virus, whatever it thinks it is.

Pete

I'll try again with today's update for AVAST and if it still reports as a false positive, I'll report it directly to AVAST. They're usually pretty good at resolving them.

Regarding Quarantine folders, I just had to restore part of the HTCSync tools, which explains why that wasn't working. Go to the AVAST UI // Maintenance // Virus Chest, select WideClient.exe, right click and choose the "restore" option. It'll put it back where it removed the file from.

Cheers,

Ian P.

• 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...