The simFlight Network Forums

Tower 3D function questions

bobg921

Hi All

First, congrats to the Feel There team for getting the 3d version available.

Hope some of you Tower3D simmers can address a few questions.  Been working the tower 2011 for many years and there are a few function I cannot seem to do in Tower3D

1. Since it only supports one monitor, is there a way to minimize and maximize  the DBRITE, ADIRS and STRIP screens like in tower 2011?
  2. From what I can tell you do not know which terminal the lading plane is designated for until you give the to terminal command.  Is there a list of terminal by airline for the base airline include in the product? Is there a way to select the landing plane and highlight the terminal location they are designated for?
  3. Had several planes get stuck at LAX where after commanding to taxi to terminal and then continue taxing at a runway intersection it would not move.  Have others experienced this strange occurrence?  How do you keep them moving?

Any other game tips you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1. IN the lower right corner of each of these, there is a little area with dots.  If you left-click and hold on this area,you can adjust the size of the window.

2. When you click on any approaching/landing/landed aircraft symbol on either radar display, you will see the assigned terminal highlighted in blue on the ground display.  This even works while the approaching aircraft is still in the air, so you can reassign it to a closer runway if desired/practical.

3. Yes several of us have observed this behavior at certain runway exits.  Usually, reissuing the command a few times gets the aircraft to begin moving.  Also, issuing taxi to terminal instructions to landing aircraft before it stops moving will also prevent this from happening.

Thanks Avwriter

Found the dots for sizing just wasn't sure if there was a one click minimize option or not.

I'll try number 2 again

Also, In Tower 2011 you can select the a/c in DBRITE and ADIRS to move the tag position around.  Really helpful when you adjust it for different runways like LAX 24L or 25R.  Could not seem to do that in Tower 3D.  is that function available?

5 hours ago, bobg921 said:

Also, In Tower 2011 you can select the a/c in DBRITE and ADIRS to move the tag position around.  Really helpful when you adjust it for different runways like LAX 24L or 25R.  Could not seem to do that in Tower 3D.  is that function available?

Yes.  Just right-click over the aircraft (either radar screen) and you can move the tag around.

One other tip, another user recently discovered that you can avoid wait penalties for planes at the gate (or that have just landed) by giving them taxi instructions and then telling them to hold position.  Otherwise, you get a penalty if they don't move for 15 minutes.  Handy to know.

Thanks for all the info

Think I need a bigger Monitor (22" just not enough with all the screens LOL)

I think Tower2011 used to show you the A/C gate when you right click on the a/c.  Looks like Tower3d just gives you the possible terminal/s.  Didn't seem to work when I tried with the A/c in the air.  I'll try again.

Tag position works fine - thanks

Great tip!

The taxi issue seems more related to landing a/c runway hold position. had to give two a/c last night three continue taxing instructions to get them moving.

Have you noticed strange taxing speeds from time to time?  Also think the cleared for takeoff  and line up and wait planes seem to take longer then normal.  have you noticed that too?

hello all,

This is my first time posting to this forum and I also just purchased tower 3d. wanting a tower sim for quite some time I purchased a new HP Pavilion laptop for it. Despite the spec of the computer being able to handle the program, I cannot seem to get the test speech feature to work. Planes do not check in on freq. or call up when on approach. Any help is much appreciated.

steve

The continue taxi command is a problem for me too. The plane must be completely stopped before it will accept and execute the command. The only way I have found to confirm a stop is click on a plane and watch it. If the plane is on the far end of the airport, you can't see it well enough to tell if it is stopped. Check the edge of your screen to see if the scenery is still scrolling. I have also found for arrivals on LAX 24R, give the taxi to terminal command before the plane stops as it exits the runway. Then the continue taxi command starts the plane right away. The taxiways that meet 24R or 6L at right angles do not require a continue taxi command. If a plane doesn't taxi after a reasonable amount of time, I delete it so I can still release departures. This version has no penalty for plane deletions.

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Speedbird001 said:

Prior to release of SP1 I could press F1 and pan around the airports, however since the upgrade the facility has gone - is there anything I am doing wrong or was this facility removed!!

It was removed.  Feel There confirmed that it was a developer tool, and was left in the original game by accident.

On 7/24/2016 at 0:57 AM, steve swiech said:

hello all,

This is my first time posting to this forum and I also just purchased tower 3d. wanting a tower sim for quite some time I purchased a new HP Pavilion laptop for it. Despite the spec of the computer being able to handle the program, I cannot seem to get the test speech feature to work. Planes do not check in on freq. or call up when on approach. Any help is much appreciated.

steve

Steve,

Can you please tell me if the text to speech functions correctly (outside of Tower!3D).

Thank you

Vic

• 8 months later...

Today I had an issue where an arrival showed up with a particular intended runway. When I tried to clear him to land, he said it was too short. I tried switching runways and all I got was negative. I tried all the runways with the same results. 

Also, is there a way to have them taxi to a runway via certain routes?  Seems all they understand is continue taxi. With this, they make their own route. 

Thanks

57 minutes ago, bdilorenzo said:

Today I had an issue where an arrival showed up with a particular intended runway. When I tried to clear him to land, he said it was too short. I tried switching runways and all I got was negative. I tried all the runways with the same results. 

Also, is there a way to have them taxi to a runway via certain routes?  Seems all they understand is continue taxi. With this, they make their own route. 

Thanks

Please don't hijack the thread