The simFlight Network Forums

Some observations

mikced76

Just purchased tonight and had a few sessions. I am overall pleased but I have a few observations. The most importat first!! Is there a darn camera that is completely still :) and just moves whenever I move the mouse. Both camera options (highlighted and not highlighted) from the menu moves view in one way or another, following aircraft and god knows what. Its driving me crazy. I would prefer an option where the mouse input dictates all movement otherwise the view should remain completely still.

Also wish for better quality addon airports in the future. Much more interested in sharper less blurry airports with more detailed buildings near and far away than moving trees! In fact, can I disable the moving trees feature altogehter in the present version? Seems like they move violently regardless of weather and windspeed. This feature does nothing for me to be honest and if any FPS can be gained having this disabled I much rather would prefer that. 

Finally the voice system seem to be the exact same as the 2011 version. Nothing wrong with that since its one of the best voice recognition on the market in my opinion but that robotic pilot voice returns from Tower 2011! How about spice it up and let us use some Ivona text2Speech voices, get a little variation out there.

Dont mean to sound harsh, I can see much work has gone in to this and I dont regret for a second my purchase. Good job Vic & team

Mike

I think this version should be promoted as a voice only product since a lot of the commands cannot be selected via the mouse.  To get the full features, you either have to type the command in or be able to speak it. Unfortunately, I am not good at either one.

Otherwise it does look pretty.

RickyJ

If the little camera icon is lit then you will get close ups of the action.

Make sure the camera icon is dimmed if you do not want this.

As far as the blurry ... Try the different Antialiasing options.  The default one was very blurry to my eyes as well.

Also,  If you have an Nvidia card you can easily use dsr. (with 0% smoothing) I run the game at 3840x2160  on a 1080 monitor, then just turn off all Antialiiasing. 

Harvester, I dont know if there is something wrong with my install then because as you say when the camera is lit it moves close to the action but even when not lit the camera moves slowly to the latest activity even though it does not change view position from tower. Please have a camera that does not follow anything automatically.

as for the blurry, did you change any graphics setting outside of Tower 3D in your graphics settings to get rid of the blurry. You mention Antialiasing, but thats (from the top of my head now since I am at work) not a setting within Tower3D? In any case, I already have max settings in Tower3D and still blurry.

mike

6 hours ago, mikced76 said:

Harvester, I dont know if there is something wrong with my install then because as you say when the camera is lit it moves close to the action but even when not lit the camera moves slowly to the latest activity even though it does not change view position from tower. Please have a camera that does not follow anything automatically.

as for the blurry, did you change any graphics setting outside of Tower 3D in your graphics settings to get rid of the blurry. You mention Antialiasing, but thats (from the top of my head now since I am at work) not a setting within Tower3D? In any case, I already have max settings in Tower3D and still blurry.

mike

Sry Mike I misunderstood.   You are correct in that the camera is always centered on the selected/last aircraft.  It doesn't zoom in for action shots like it does when the cam icon is lit, but it does pan the Tower view as the aircraft moves.

I could have sworn that there was a way of escaping out of this into a 'free cam', but I took some time off from playing Tower3d so I'm really not sure if I'm remembering correctly.  Maybe someone else can help out.

As far as Antialiasing .... The setting is in the advanced settings.  To my eye some of the newer ones really make everything blurry.  I usually just turn it off.  :-)

Good Luck with it.

When no aircraft is selected, then you may pan freely.  Clicking the "Clear" button on the control panel will deselect aircraft so that you can pan freely again.  Now here is a little secret that really helps me:  Pressing and releasing the left shift key on your keyboard has the same effect as the "Clear" button.  I find this MUCH faster and less tedious.

That's what I thought.

The problem is that even after clearing the aircraft, by backspace or shift, the camera is still focused on the last plane.

The only time I'm able to freely pan the cam is after releasing a departing aircraft to departure.  But even that is iffy .... sometimes I'm stuck with the cam staring at the horizon until the next plane asks for pushback/landing clearance.

Harvester, exactly my frustration. I have no interest in staring at the horizon and manually moving the mouse back to the takeoff end of the runway takes valuable time. In my opinion we need a view setting that does not move at all automatically only by mouse input.

Mike

11 minutes ago, mikced76 said:

Harvester, exactly my frustration. I have no interest in staring at the horizon and manually moving the mouse back to the takeoff end of the runway takes valuable time. In my opinion we need a view setting that does not move at all automatically only by mouse input.

Mike

This is for sure  an issue...

16 minutes ago, FeelThere said:

Even thought the airplane is no longer under your command the camera will follow it until you use your middle-drag to change the camera's point of view. Sort of nudge out the camera from follow mode. Once you get a hang of it, please believe me you will like it, please give it a try.

Vic

The problem is that I can't pan away.  Middle-Drag doesn't move the cam.  It stays stuck on the last plane until I try to issue an order to another plane.

Sometimes out of the blue I'm suddenly able to pan the cam but it is with no rhyme or reason.  

50 minutes ago, mikced76 said:

Mike

I may have it worse than you Mike ....  I can't pan away from any plane until I try issuing a command to another plane. :-)

Sometimes I can but it's doesn't happen very often.

Decided to take the plunge and upgrade to Pro.  So far, I have had a very good experience.  My panning is fine, graphics are fine.  I reloaded RT and RC for KPHIL.  All working as expected.  I thought I had voice command issues but it was because I wasn't used to the new commands needed.  Had to refer to the manual.  Good luck.

4 hours ago, Harvester said:

The problem is that I can't pan away.  Middle-Drag doesn't move the cam.  It stays stuck on the last plane until I try to issue an order to another plane.

Check your mouse settings to make sure the middle button is set to act as a middle button.  My Logitech mouse has the following setup program:

RickyJ

mouse_button.JPG.44a192519bbae61a5346ffbe1843c446.JPG

Thanks for the reply futureboy.

Yes I've double checked my mouse software (razer) and it is set to default action.

Here's the odd thing:  If I hold the middle mouse button down and move the mouse around, the view moves a little every now and then.  It's as if the game is only seeing the mouse's middle button being pushed down only 1/50 of the time.

I'll keep messing with it when I have time.

BTW, The middle mouse button is registering fine in other games.  I have another game which uses the same control scheme to scroll as tower3d and it's working fine.

On 2/24/2017 at 10:16 AM, FeelThere said:

Even thought the airplane is no longer under your command the camera will follow it until you use your middle-drag to change the camera's point of view. Sort of nudge out the camera from follow mode. Once you get a hang of it, please believe me you will like it, please give it a try.

Vic

Actually, according to my observations with Tower!3DPro, the camera will not follow the plane until it is within 5nm of the airport. For instance, if you select an arriving plane at 20nm, the camera will swing to the plane, but will not proceed to follow it until it reaches 5nm. At which point the camera will "jump" to and follow the plane as it lands. The camera will follow departing planes until they reach 5nm at which point the camera will stop following the plane. However, if you select another plane, then select the departing plane, the camera will swing to that departing plane, but will not follow it.

Like I said, these are just based on my observations with TIST and KPHL. I cannot confirm nor deny the same action will take place with KLAX, KJFK, KSAN, KATL, EHAM or VHHH.

RickyJ