The simFlight Network Forums

Taxi to apron

mikced76

Hi

Is there a way to know the gate before you assign the "taxi to apron" command. After the command is said the gate lights up on the airport radar screen but at that time you have already cleared the plane to taxi there. This might not be a big problem at smaller airports but for larger airports you might want to assign a specific taxi route to avoid conflicts with other aircraft on the way there but without knowing where the plane is going how can you do that?

I guess you can first assign a generic "XXX taxi to apron" and when the route and gate then lights up you can issue a new command XXX taxi to apron via...." but that is a big unrealistic right?  

Am I missign something here? :)

Thanks

Mike    

• Upvote 1

Agreed.  This is a bit backwards.  Even when the plane is on final approach, you can see which terminal (though not which gate).  This in itself is helpful in many cases, but not always.  It would be nice if the gate assignment could be decided a bit earlier.

Great to hear others agree with me on this one. I thought either I missed something in the manual or simply that this was not the way it worked. But it actually makes complete sense to know where the aircraft is actually going :) at least what terminal so you can prepare a route.

Mike

I agree Mike, IMO it would be especially helpful at LAX.

I live in the Boston area and I listen to the BOS liveATC feed a lot, the controllers frequently ask the arriving flights which gate they are heading to so a better route can be formulated.

Another good example is a FDX arrival at JFK. The cargo gates are spread out all over the airport ... there's no way to issue an initial detailed taxi command. I'd also like to be able to assign airlines to specific gates or gate groupings rather than just a terminal. But, that's a whole 'nother can of worms!

Thank you for the suggestion. Once we will decide if/when we will make the next version of Tower we will open (like we did last time ;) ) a "wishlist". Please make sure to add it. It would require to re-write the whole pathfinding so it's unlikely this will be added to the current version, but it's a good candidate for the next one.

Vic

I've noticed something .. will have to double check to be sure.  But for example, at KLAX I pretty much have memorized where all the airlines go so know how to send them.  But if I recall correctly, if you issue the taxi to ramp command SLOWLY .. the default path will popup before you're finished giving the route.  So like, "United one seven five .... taxi to ramp ... veeeeyaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... hotel ...... papaaaaaa..... and when it pops up you can finish the routing.  Okay so not THAT slow but you get the idea.  :)  I know the route pops up, not sure about the specific gate but I also think when you call the aircraft (or click on it?) the TERMINAL to arrive in highlights so you do have that much.

I'll have to confirm this when I'm at home at the PC but, if this is the case .. if the "pilot" knows which gate, would it be difficult to add a single command asking for the gate?  Even to just display the path?  Or, even asking where they want to enter the ramp and they can designate "Charlie Seven" or something so no further "language" has to be added .. just a command and a response that already seems to be there (display route)?

~ John

P.S. - MustangPauli, I used to work at KBOS!  When they release it for Tower!3D we'll have to do a multiplayer!  :)

20 hours ago, Methos said:

P.S. - MustangPauli, I used to work at KBOS!  When they release it for Tower!3D we'll have to do a multiplayer!  :)

12 hours ago, MustangPauli said:

You're on Methos!

Multiplayer adds a whole new dimension to the sim ... it's a blast! Furthermore, I'd like to recommend joining the Tower_MP community to assist in arranging some practice sessions in anticipation of the KBOS release. Check out the pinned thread below for more information.

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/83242-tower_mp-meeting-place-for-the-multiplayer-community/

Craig