The simFlight Network Forums

Throttle axis calibration

Hi, I was trying to figure out why the plane has difficulty going straight (not just during take-off but also during the taxi). I have to continually make small corrections, which are minimal during the taxi phase but which are really annoying during take-off.

I read in the forums that the problem could be solved with a proper calibration of the throttle axis, but I have no idea how to do it.

Can I have your help?

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Freccia said:

Hi, I was trying to figure out why the plane has difficulty going straight (not just during take-off but also during the taxi). I have to continually make small corrections, which are minimal during the taxi phase but which are really annoying during take-off.

Is this with a prop plane, or jey? With a prop, as you increase throttle for takeoff the "propwash" from the prop is disproportionally down one side (normall the left), so you need to use more and more right rudder to compensate.

1 hour ago, Freccia said:

I read in the forums that the problem could be solved with a proper calibration of the throttle axis, but I have no idea how to do it.

Not sure why the throttle calibration would affect anything you describe. 

If you assign and calibrate in the Sim then you need to follow normal Game Controller calibration instructions. If you are using FSUIPC then there is a step by step list of things to do to achieve proper calibration of any selected axis. See the User guide, calibration chapter.

Pete

51 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Is this with a prop plane, or jey? With a prop, as you increase throttle for takeoff the "propwash" from the prop is disproportionally down one side (normall the left), so you need to use more and more right rudder to compensate.

No, it is not a propeller aircraft, but a jet (A320, MD 82).

58 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Not sure why the throttle calibration would affect anything you describe. 

If you assign and calibrate in the Sim then you need to follow normal Game Controller calibration instructions. If you are using FSUIPC then there is a step by step list of things to do to achieve proper calibration of any selected axis. See the User guide, calibration chapter.

I read here: https://www.flythemaddog.com/forum/index.php?/topic/10903-plane-landing-problem-goes-on-one-side/

10 minutes ago, Freccia said:

No, it is not a propeller aircraft, but a jet (A320, MD 82).

So what are the "small corrections" for. surely for takeoff you apply max power, or pretty much so. What are you "correcting" for?

10 minutes ago, Freccia said:

I don't have access there, and the title talks about "landing". Surely the corrections are to rudder or tiller, not to throttle, which would be at idle on touchdown, or close to.

Or do you mean asymmetric thrust? It is quite normal on real aircraft for the same thrust on each engine to requre slightly different positions of the throttle levers -- they are rarely in perfect alignment. But if you wish you can either make one throttle control both, using an FSUIPC hotkey, or sync positions in the calibration tab using the sync option.

Pete

3 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

So what are the "small corrections" for. surely for takeoff you apply max power, or pretty much so. What are you "correcting" for?

The corrections I refer to concern the direction of the aircraft (jet). Even if perfectly aligned, I have to work constantly on the rudder.

3 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

I don't have access there, and the title talks about "landing". Surely the corrections are to rudder or tiller, not to throttle, which would be at idle on touchdown, or close to.

Or do you mean asymmetric thrust? It is quite normal on real aircraft for the same thrust on each engine to requre slightly different positions of the throttle levers -- they are rarely in perfect alignment. But if you wish you can either make one throttle control both, using an FSUIPC hotkey, or sync positions in the calibration tab using the sync option.

Attached is the entire thread that talks about calibrating the throttle axis.

FSUIPC.pdf