The simFlight Network Forums

Reverse Idle key command?

I have my thrust levers to when hitting the detent button to command Thrust decr with control to repeat when held checked. I am wondering for control to send button released, is there an assignment for set thrust to Idle reverse? I know there is eng x cut. But this goes right to forward idle, I would like to go from full rev to idle rev if possible.

Thanks all. 

2 hours ago, AngeloCosma said:

I am wondering for control to send button released, is there an assignment for set thrust to Idle reverse? I know there is eng x cut. But this goes right to forward idle, I would like to go from full rev to idle rev if possible.

There's no default aircraft exists which knows the difference.  If this is an add-on which has such a setting you need to find what value the engine parameter needs to be in order to set it.

The "controls" to which you referred merely set engine thrust values. The "cut" one effectively sets a 0 engine thrust value.  If you know the exact value you need you can send it for most aircraft using "throttle1_set" (or 2, 3 or 4 for the other engines) with that value as the parameter.

Pete

6 hours ago, Thomas Richter said:

Hi,

as Reverse Idle in real means Reverser doors are open and eng is in idle, you do this in FS by setting the thrust value to -1 (minus one). That will open the Reverser but not increase thrust from Idle.

Thomas

This can be achieved via a button assignment? Specifically a control to be sent when the button is released?

15 hours ago, Thomas Richter said:

Hi,

as Reverse Idle in real means Reverser doors are open and eng is in idle, you do this in FS by setting the thrust value to -1 (minus one). That will open the Reverser but not increase thrust from Idle.

Thomas

I selected "Throttle Set" Parameter -1, and that did the trick. Thank you very much. This is resolved.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/10/2019 at 1:07 AM, Thomas Richter said:

Hi,

Thomas

So my success was short lived. I am getting unreliable consistence with the reverse idle on all engines. I run a 4 axis 4 engine setup. Each of the 4 button release commands a Throttle Set(x) -1 value. 

Sometimes all 4 will idle, other times only 2, or even none. What is the behavior so random?

I also thought maybe it was a button polling rate issue. So I mapped the a SINGLE button (with no others programmed) to send a singular throttle set -1 (not engine specific) and no reverses idled at that point, strange. 

If I fly a twin jet I get consistent operations, not sure why 4 engine configs causes this.

Any ideas? 

If its only sometimes, maybe its a dirty button connection? Try switching the button release assignments. You can also activate logging of button events and axis controls (and maybe also non-axis controls), and check what the log says when you have this issue - this should give some insight into what could be happening. You can post such a log, together with your ini file, if you need further assistance.

Cheers,

John

6 minutes ago, Thomas Richter said:

Hi,

not the button but the throttle lever (axis) you use. To eliminate that you need to define a small dead-zone for idle position to ensure a little noisy axis in idle position overwrite the -1 value. Just a couple millimeter of axis movement as idle dead-zone will do.

Thomas

Ah so even if the button may be noisy, you feel the axis could be wiping the -1 based on seen axis location? This could be very true in my hardware. I will check and verify. Does it make a difference if I assign the axis in FSUIPC (Direct) vs (FS as normal axis)? I believe I use direct currently.

Hi,

I don't think the button will be noisy, just the axis doesn't stay constant at the last value. But with a little dead-zone it will be constant at idle.

Does it make a difference if I assign the axis in FSUIPC (Direct) vs (FS as normal axis)?

It would only effect some add-ons like PMDG, . . ., as those have to be assigned with direct to FS with no calibration in FSUIPC.

Thomas

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2020 at 12:49 AM, Thomas Richter said:

Hi,

I don't think the button will be noisy, just the axis doesn't stay constant at the last value. But with a little dead-zone it will be constant at idle.

It would only effect some add-ons like PMDG, . . ., as those have to be assigned with direct to FS with no calibration in FSUIPC.

Thomas

You may have answered this question, can this above method work if the thrust axis' are sent to FS and NOT FSUIPC? 

I am experiencing thrust reverser deployment in flight with the PMDG 737 NGXu low level near flare. 

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/pmdg-737-ngxu-for-prepar3d-v4/55566-calling-on-ntsb-investigators

PMDG said FSUIPC would cause this as it doesn't know if the airplane is on ground or in flight. 

What would be the best way to map the thrust axis' to achieve the saem desired outcome but with the protections from the FADEC and air-ground sensing system?

On 4/11/2020 at 1:25 AM, Thomas Richter said:

Hi,

try with Send direct to FS and select 'Axis Throttle Set', instead of 'Throttle Set'.

Thomas

Send direct to FS as Axis "Axis throttle set" to Saitek lever 2, and control to send when button released as "Throttle Set" Param (-1) does not cause any change to the thrust position as the button is released.  

On 4/14/2020 at 11:15 PM, AngeloCosma said:

Send direct to FS as Axis "Axis throttle set" to Saitek lever 2, and control to send when button released as "Throttle Set" Param (-1) does not cause any change to the thrust position as the button is released.  

The problem is that none of the currently "approved" throttle axis controls have any sort of reverse range. The normal assignments, and the ones PMDG aircraft expect, have a range of -16384 for normal idle to +16383 for full thrust. So there's no way of having any axis based reverse with an add-on aircraft which does not support the old ways (dating from FS98) using Throttle Set controls.

The sim itself doesn't really support or simulate a "reverse idle". The idle is just idle and that's it. Really if the more sophisticated aircraft like those from PMDG implement this then there should be a method of engaging it which they provide.

I can see for the various posts in this thread that you've got close to "fiddling" it, and I agree with Thomas that sending -1 using the old ThrottleN Set controls should theoretically work -- provided there's no interference from the normal throttle axes (so you need a reliable idle calibration zone).

However, in the end I think that if you cannot get consistent results with your add-on aircraft, you probably need to ask the makers (still PMDG?) how this sadded ophistication is supposed to be used.

Pete