The simFlight Network Forums

Tracon!2012 Variable Range

Gil

I have been able to determine the purpose for all of the knobs on Control window in Tracon!2012 except for the Variable Range knob.

12.16.2019-17.56.16

Can someone tell me what this knob manages in the program? (I can't see any effect when changing this setting.

Thanks!

Gil

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, EliGrim said:

I do not own Tracon, but the variable range would have to refer to an additional, freely adjustable marker.
Try setting it to an odd number and see if an additional ring appears.

Thank you. I'll give that a try. 

11 minutes ago, blacklabelbraai said:

@Gil, does the user manual not make any mention of this?

I don't think so. The manual mentions the Control window, but does not describe each option.

13 minutes ago, blacklabelbraai said:

@EliGrim's suggestion is a good one.

I agree. I suspect it is the right answer.

15 minutes ago, blacklabelbraai said:

Please let us know how it goes.

Unfortunately, it doesn't go well.

I set the range rings to 10 miles and the variable range to 15 miles. This is the result.

2020-01-02_9-55-26.thumb.png.600692b1e35a65e87b23166ed98c95bc.png

If the range ring exists it would show between the 10 and 20 mile rings, but nothing I do makes it appear.

Gil

3 hours ago, Gil said:

Unfortunately, it doesn't go well.

I set the range rings to 10 miles and the variable range to 15 miles. This is the result.

Other than seeing the dial do something, your test wouldn't add any functionality to what you already have at your fingertips. You can set the range rings as low as 2nm if you want, so I'm not sure why you would say it didn't go well.

Let's take a difference approach. Instead of trying to figure out what a dial can do, let me ask a question. What hole or void in your setup are you trying to fill? What do you need or hope this dial can do for you that will make your job as a controller easier? 

PS - There is just a general blurb on the control panel in the manual with no specific details on the dials. I've looked at another realistic Tracon sim and I don't see anything that correlates to this dial. Vic, @FeelThere, is probably the only one around that can shed any light on what this dial does or does not do.

@crbascott, It's not so much something I know of that I want or need. Rather it's something I noticed that I'd like to know what it does. If it satisfies a need so much the better.

It took me awhile through experimentation to determine what all of the other dials did. I am just wondering if there is something I've missed with this dial or if it's simply nonfunctioning.

Gil

@Gil If it's malfunctioning, this game is way past the stage of getting it fixed. All of FeelThere's ATC game engines are past the point of development support. Hopefully you'll get an answer to its function if that is what you seek. To be honest,  I moved on from this dial 4 or 5 years ago ... I figured if it didn't do anything obvious I didn't need it. 😀