The simFlight Network Forums

Spoiler retracts if flaps are out

np444

HI,

I understand that in the real aircraft the speed brake automatically retracts if the flaps are out but is there any way we can stop this from happening? Maybe by editing a config file or something so that you can extend the speed brakes with the flaps and gear down?

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, scoobflight said:

Why do you wish to disable a normal realistic aircraft function?

Hi there,

EGLC London City Airport have E170s and E190s operating (BA Cityflyer, KLM, Helvetic etc). Whilst they are on final approach, the airlines that fly these variants are able to open the outer spoilers ever so slightly with 5 or full flaps. Please see this video and go to 6:02 to see this in action.  I believe np444 would like to be able to do this with the Feelthere (as would I) to simulate real life operations. Is this something that maybe could be looked into once current issues have been updated and fixed please?

Look forward to hearing from you.

CptAnubis ✈️🙂

Yes. I must say that the plane does hold the speed quite nicely with full flap and gear down on the steep approach. However, to achieve this you need to keep the throttle at idle for the whole descent which means that the plane sinks a lot and also you absolutely plant it into the ground because you won't be retarding the throttle as it is already at idle when you flare so you just sink and have a very heavy touchdown. If you were able to extend the speed brakes on the approach then you could actually use power on the approach allowing you to idle the throttle when you flare and thus having a much smother touchdown. So it would be great if there was some way to extend the speed brakes on approach to LCY.

I would say your slightly wrong I have no problem coming in gear down full flap to EGLC just have to be configured and at speed before the glide-slope. I suspect your flaring too late or too little. Or maybe even too early and just sinking as you loose speed. The function your talking about is the steep app function whicj is not a standard option in the E170-195 but something that is added by the company ordering.  Maybe if we could just be aloud to manually deploy spoilers we could simulate it better.

Wait and see how SP1 helps - the drag and low-end thrust have been heavily adjusted so you may find that, if not perfect on the steeper approach into London City, at least you may have a bit more throttle over the threshold to allow a better flare.  And to pre-empt the following question, it will not be a long wait as the adjustments have all been made, new files are being compiled and whilst I have no idea how long that side of it takes, it's now 'imminent'.

Paul.

We just want to be able to do the approach at London City the realistic way with the spoilers out and not have to leave the throttle at idle the whole way down and therefore absolutely plummeting when we flare.  We want to be able to have power on the approach and then idle at the flare as per usual and like they do in real life.

No I land with flaps full and at the speed set out by the manual for the weight of the aircraft. I plummet with the flare because the throttle is at idle all the way down on the descent so I can't retard the throttle.