The simFlight Network Forums

GPS Mapping Applications (iOS) and FSUIPC

This may very well not be the proper venue for this inquiry? I use Fltplan.com and WingX as EFB's and have had some intermittent success with them connecting to P3D. More often they don't, and from what I read it could be SimConnect. My questions are (1) If FSUIPC (and things like ActiveSky and LINDA) all work... doesn't that rule out SimConnect? (2) Is there anything in FSUIPC that might help make the connection work, and work consistently? From what I gather - perhaps not unless you are talking about a COM port/serial connection.

1 hour ago, snp227 said:

This may very well not be the proper venue for this inquiry? I use Fltplan.com and WingX as EFB's and have had some intermittent success with them connecting to P3D. More often they don't, and from what I read it could be SimConnect. My questions are (1) If FSUIPC (and things like ActiveSky and LINDA) all work... doesn't that rule out SimConnect?

FSUIPC runs internal to P3D, so doesn't use the same interface. LINDA uses FSUIPC. ActiveSky has an internal component too, but also uses the natural P3D SimConnect interface.

I don't know your two applications which i assume from your heading run on an iPhone or iPad? If so they presumably have a component you install on the P3D PC. Is that an internal DLL or an extermal EXE program? If the latter, and it was not specifically written for P3D, it will need additional SimConnect "Legacy" installs. Either way, it will need a properly configured Simconnect.xml and Simconnect.cfg. Please see P3D documentation about these.

1 hour ago, snp227 said:

(2) Is there anything in FSUIPC that might help make the connection work, and work consistently? From what I gather - perhaps not unless you are talking about a COM port/serial connection.

Since I don't know the programs I cannot comment. The only thing FSUIPC provides for moving maps is the GPSout facilitiy, which can send NMEA standard sentences which are read by some moving map programs over a serial link.

Pete

• 10 months later...

I use FltplanGo, the GPSOUT facility of FSUICP, over a bluetooth connection successfully and reliably using an Android tablet on P3Dv5.1, as well as FSX and FSX-SE, both on Windows 10 and Windows 7.  I don't have any apple devices, but the basic outline is in the thread "Sending GPS data to Android Apps (Bluetooth)" in the  user contributions section.  If this is the type of set-up you are trying to employ then I'd be happy to outline my setup.  Works wonderfully.  I would assume it will work with WingX (although I have never used that software), but it works flawlessly with FltplanGo.