The simFlight Network Forums

Prolonged Pause on Autosave in P3D5

I have last week decided to purchase P3D v5. I have on my computer P3Dv4.5 with FSUIPC v6. When I installed P3D v5 the FSUIPC automatically appeared In P3D v5 using the same settings as P3Dv4.5.

However with the PMDG aIrcraft 737 I have noticed that it frequently pauses for 1-2 seconds which appears to be related to autosave as when I disabled autosave the prolonged pause disappeared.

As I have decided not to continue with P3D v4.5 I tried moving the modules folder in P3D v4.5 to P3D v5. However then FSUIPC disappeared from P3D v5.

Are you able to advise me how to resolve this issue?

Thank-you

Michael Houghton

Hi,

as you used the installer to install FSUIPC6 for P3Dv4 you have to use the uninstaller, if you want to uninstall P3Dv4. You can still use the same INI file for P3Dv5. If you use the FSUIPC6 installer then it will automatically uninstall the previous FSUIPC6 installation but not remove the FSUIPC6.ini file.

So it depends now on what you have done with P3Dv4 and the installation of FSUIPC you did for P3Dv4.

Thomas

4 hours ago, MajorMike said:

As I have decided not to continue with P3D v4.5 I tried moving the modules folder in P3D v4.5 to P3D v5. However then FSUIPC disappeared from P3D v5.

As well as what Thomas says, you do really need to use the Installer. Just moving files is not sufficient to tell P3Dv5 to load and run FSUIPC.

The Modules folder is not actually normally used with FSUIPC6 in any case. FSUIPC5 was the last to need such a folder. You can choose whatever folder you like when installing FSUIPC6.

Pete

Thanks Thomas and Pete  for your advice. Unfortunately I still have an ussue with prolonged pausing with the PMDG 737 which is synchronous with the Autosave. If I run a generic aircraft there is oly a momentary microstutter at autosave

I have uninstalled the FSUIPC and reinstalled it just into P3D v5 . I created a folder outside P3Dv5 called FSUIPC on the C drive.

I still have P3D v 4.5 on the computer installed on the C drive in the file called Locheed Martin. I note the modules folder is still there.

I have installed the P3Dv5 on the F drive.

I have added the additional text to the configuration file for the PMDG aircraft as per the advanced manual for FSUIPC.

This is a link to a short video of the PMDG 737 showing the prolonged pause which disappears if I disable autosave.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1so0vYRJ5Ht9SmuCtY5Nf-GFGZ7tIDPEb/view?usp=drivesdk

I have attached screen prints of the P3D v4.5 modules fiolder and the FSUIPC folder I have created in the C drive as a folder ooutside the P3Dv5 main folder

Are you able to see any reason for this issue.

Thank-you

Michael

Content of modules folder in P3D v4.5.jpg

FSUIPC folder contents.jpg

FSUIPC6.ini

19 minutes ago, MajorMike said:

Are you able to see any reason for this issue.

Yes, its a know issue with PMDG aircraft. There are many posts on this issue if you search. All FSUIPC does is call simconnect to save the flight, and you will get a similar pause when saving using the P3D facilities. You can try saving using the default key (';' I think) and you will see the same pause. There is no way around this, although some folks have reported improvements after updating firewall/anti-virus settings. Try searching (probably better in PMDG forums) for details, or try this: 

What some folks do with PMDG aircraft is to disable auto-save during take-off and landing. There was an additional control provided to allow this (i.e. toggle auto-save on/off when autosave activated). It can then be activated on, for example,. gear up/down, or a lua script could monitor height above ground and enable/disable as required.

• 3 months later...
On 10/1/2020 at 12:25 PM, MajorMike said:

Thank-you John,

I tried the excusions from my Windows Defender which did significantly improve the severity of the pause but it was still noticeable.

It is useful to understand why it is happening.

Thank-you for your advice.

Michael

Is there any fix? I have exactly the same issue and i really would like to use the autosave function.

Greetings
Michael

19 hours ago, Binford1895 said:

Is there any fix? I have exactly the same issue and i really would like to use the autosave function.

The only fix is to use a different aircraft. The PMDG aircraft are notorious for freezing the sim whilst collecting the information they want to save. The only part FSUIPC is playing in this is calling SimConnect, in P3D, to ask it to save a file -- exactly as you can via the menu or via the ; key.

Pete

Unfortunately than the only option is not to use autosave because i want to use the PMDG aircrafts  😞

I am wondering because i got autosave running in P3Dv4 even with PMDG an without the interruptions. What could be the difference now to P3Dv5?

Greetings Michael

12 hours ago, Binford1895 said:

I am wondering because i got autosave running in P3Dv4 even with PMDG an without the interruptions. What could be the difference now to P3Dv5?

No difference in FSUIPC or SimConnect's flight saving, so it must either be to do with how the PMDG code operates in P3D5, or the fact that P3D5 is very different to P3D4 is terms or graphics, performance and so on.

Most folks using PMDG aircraft in FSX, P3D1-3 and P3D4 have found that the flight saving actions they do causes stutters every time. You were lucky not seeing these in P3D4.

If we could do something about it, believe me, we would. but there's not much we can do to improve what is basically just a single call to SimConnect requesting the flight be saved. What then occurs is that P3D saves its files (fxml, wx) and notifies other programs that this is being done. The PMDG code sees this and freezes its systems code whilst collecting all the data for its own saved files. May be PMDG could improve this by just making a complete copy in memory and invoking a separate thread to save it whilst allowing the simulation to continue. But they are unlikely to consider the effort worthwhile.

Pete