The simFlight Network Forums

[P3Dv5.1 HF1] MakeRwys 5.1 command line parameter

Hi,

looks like makerwys is closing when adding multiple commandline parameters. Can you please have a look at this?

"<P3DRoot>\makerwys.exe"                => Ok
"<P3DRoot>\makerwys.exe" "/+Q"          => Ok
"<P3DRoot>\makerwys.exe" "/Water"       => Ok
"<P3DRoot>\makerwys.exe" "/Water /+Q"   => Fail

Fail means, makerwys.exe closes without creating any files.

53 minutes ago, Capt. PERO said:

Same behavior as above. Starts and closes makerwys. Can you pls check?

For me it isn't multiple parameters, it's just the /+Q. Here it just starts and ends with /+Q without any other parameters. That's with the latest version. I'll take a look.

Pete

43 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

For me it isn't multiple parameters, it's just the /+Q. Here it just starts and ends with /+Q without any other parameters. That's with the latest version. I'll take a look.

Actually, i was wrong. It is running, but the hidden window the 32-bit version created isn't being created, so it isn't visible anywhere as a running app.

8 minutes ago, Capt. PERO said:

If this helps: it worked with this until v5.1: 🙂

"<P3DRoot>\makerwys.exe" "/Water /+Q"

The change in 5.1 was making it a 64-bit app.  the only 'problem' I've found so far is that the invisible Window it creates (which only contains the Quit and close actions) is not being created. As a result it seems it doesn't terminate, it just sits in its message loop and has to be forcibly terminated in Task manager 'Details' tab, which does list it correctly.

All the files are created correctly. The only problem is that it appears not to be running and doesn't terminate. And this is all related to the /+Q parameter -- on its own or with other parameters, it makes no difference here.

Currently I don't understand why the Window doesn't get created.  Working on it.

Pete

23 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Currently I don't understand why the Window doesn't get created.  Working on it.

Found it. When I converted it from 32- to 64- bit I omitted to update the definition of the Windows function used for Quiet mode (+Q parameter).

The only consequence of that is the non-termination of the program after it has finished generating the files. I've fixed that here and tested it, and will release the updated version as 5.11 in due course, but first i'd like some clarification from you about what you really have happening, because it doesn't match what I see.  Perhaps in your test sequence:

"<P3DRoot>\makerwys.exe"                => Ok
"<P3DRoot>\makerwys.exe" "/+Q"          => Ok
"<P3DRoot>\makerwys.exe" "/Water"       => Ok
"<P3DRoot>\makerwys.exe" "/Water /+Q"   => Fail

the first run with /+Q left a copy of MakeRwys running, and the second use of /+Q didn't run because of this?

Once you confirm that you actually get the same results as me, i will make a Release. Otherwise i think I need more details -- possibly some logging would have to be added.

Pete

Hi Pete,

thanks for your support. I am running 

"<P3DRoot>\makerwys.exe" "/Water /+Q"

in my program SIMstarter NG P3D since my software has been released. A BETA Tester informed me, that SIMstarter does not work with Makerwys 5.1 any more. While testing I found out that one parameter is working and two parameter won't. My first thought was, that "/Water" does not work any more and therefore I tested the others to make analysis for you guys easier.

Do I get you right, with 5.11 I would get the same result as before (runways with water runways, silent execution and auto close when finished? My software is waiting for the process beining closed to work with the new generated files.

Regards,

Peter

20 minutes ago, Capt. PERO said:

Do I get you right, with 5.11 I would get the same result as before (runways with water runways, silent execution and auto close when finished? My software is waiting for the process beining closed to work with the new generated files.

If, indeed, that was the problem, then, yes. It works fine here in that it generates the files and closes when it's finished.

I'm just concerned whether this is actually what you were reporting, as the business of multiple parameters affecting things is strange -- it is just a simple loop which works with any number of parameters here. The parameter processing happens before any attempt to create a Window, whether /+Q is specified or not. It is only the /+Q which makes it try to create this invisible window in order to process the quit.

Are you saying you cannot check whether your reported problem was not just to do with the failure to terminate? You implied that the files were not produced, not that the program did not terminate. Please check again. Check the timestamp on the files. The Runways.txt (the log file really) is created at the start, all the others at the end, just before it closes (or not).

If you confirm that it was the non-termination which caused the problem then I can release 5.11 in the morning. Otherwise I'd need to hold on and work out how to diagnose the problem you are really seeing.

Pete

1 hour ago, Capt. PERO said:

I am lost a little. Might be easier if you send me a test version. 🙂

Well, I know i've fixe 'a' bug, so I will release 5.11 tomorrow instead. You can test that, then let me know. If you still have a problem we will need to take things further, and I've not really got time for a few days.

Pete

4 hours ago, kingm56 said:

Is there a list of all arguments?

Yes, towards the back of the READ ME document supplied with MakeRwys.

4 hours ago, kingm56 said:

Specifically, does an option exist to only create a single file (i.e. Runways.xml)?

No. Why would you want that? It won't save any time, if that's what you are thinking. All those thousands of BGLs have to be processed for any one of the files. The data is collected in memory during this process, only output to the files at the end -- a part that only takes a couple of seconds.

Are you really short of disk space?

Pete