The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC7 steering tiller assign to B787 suddenly doesn't work.

CamoVecmin

Greetings fellow flight sims,

Name Vecmin, recently I purchased FSUIPC7 from SimMarket on the 1/24/2021 after I was told that it can solved B787 current steering issue while taxiing using rudder axis whereby it can't make a tight turn if player twist the joystick full to the right or left. If player do a tight cornering by twist the joystick full to the left or to the right, the B787 just stop moving and player need to give a 100% full thrust for it to move again.

However when using FSUIPC7 and assign this to a steering tiller, all of the above issue gone. The B787 can do a tight cornering without it stuck/stop.

Only recently this has stop functioning (a week now). No matter what I do, when the B787 do that tight cornering (where I have to twist my joystick full to the left or right) the B787 will stop/stuck like it was before I use FSUIPC steering tiller.

I post similar issue at MSFS 2020 official forum and there's a couple of great guys who was very patience in helping me to get this problem solved. We tried a couple of troubleshooting like  assigning numbers directly to the Steering Tiller setting in Joystick calibration but the B787 still not responding. It will stop and stuck when I twist my rudder fully to the left or right.

I can't attach screenshot of the  FSUIPC7 Axes Assignment that I used for the Steering tiller but maybe I can just described it here:

When I twist my joystick to the left and right, the reading for the In=[16383/-16384].

When I twitst my joystick  to the left or right, the reading for Out=[12799/-11443][14463/-13393][14719/-14563]. The number does not maintain it will keep changing when I release to center back the joystick. The reading also will be shown something like this [2048][-2211][0] 

As for Delta sometime the reading will be [5632][128][526]

What ever the number shown there now, when I click ok (I create profile for B787) when I near a corner slow down, pressing the break and make a turn, when my joystick reach the dead zone (where I turn all the way to the left or right) the B787 will stop and stuck dead on the ground won't move until I put full thrust 100% to push it forward.

Can someone help me out? Thanks.

P/s: this is the link to the post that I made in MSFS 2020 official forum for 3 party apps.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/fsuipc7-user-do-you-guys-feels-like-something-is-not-right/365160/16

Edited by CamoVecmin

Can you activate FSUIPC logging for Axes Controls and Events, produce a short(-ish) log file showing your problem (i.e. load your aircraft and taxi showing your issues, then close MFS/FSUIPC) and then attach that, together with your FSUIPC7.ini file and I will take a look.

5 minutes ago, CamoVecmin said:

Only recently this has stop functioning (a week now).

Something must have changed if it was working and now doesn't. Do you have any idea what could have changed?

7 minutes ago, CamoVecmin said:

I can't attach screenshot of the  FSUIPC7 Axes Assignment

Your FSUIPC7.ini file is the one I need to see your assignments, not screenshots.

John

11 minutes ago, CamoVecmin said:

When I twist my joystick to the left and right, the reading for the In=[16383/-16384].

When I twitst my joystick  to the left or right, the reading for Out=[12799/-11443][14463/-13393][14719/-14563]. The number does not maintain it will keep changing when I release to center back the joystick. The reading also will be shown something like this [2048][-2211][0] 

As for Delta sometime the reading will be [5632][128][526]

That presumably is an assignment in MSFS, not FSUIPC. Certainly the Delta in FSUIPC is a fixed value unless you specifically edit the actual number in the FSUIPC Assignments tab.

John can check your FSUIPC INI file (ZIP it if it is too big) but do NOT have the same axes assigned in both MSFS and FSUIPC. They will conflict.

Pete

16 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Can you activate FSUIPC logging for Axes Controls and Events, produce a short(-ish) log file showing your problem (i.e. load your aircraft and taxi showing your issues, then close MFS/FSUIPC) and then attach that, together with your FSUIPC7.ini file and I will take a look.

Something must have changed if it was working and now doesn't. Do you have any idea what could have changed?

Your FSUIPC7.ini file is the one I need to see your assignments, not screenshots.

John

Hi John/Pete,

Omg thank you for your quick response. I have done as instructed but not sure if its correct or not. Attach is the two files.

I can't remember much what I did as I'm not a techie guy who knows how to tweak/edit files. All I can remember is that I install 3rd party liveries for my B787 (Malaysia Airlines Liveries) and before I used FSUIPC7. I already have and install FS-ATC-Chatter. That's about it.

FSUIPC7.ini MSFS.bat

Edited by CamoVecmin
update

3 minutes ago, CamoVecmin said:

I have done as instructed but not sure if its correct or not. Attach is the two files.

No, I don't need to see your MSFS.bat file. As I said, I need to see your FSUIPC7.log, with those logging features activated.

Also, as Pete said, please check that you do not have assignments to your joystick axes in MSFS if using FSUIPC to assign.

6 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

No, I don't need to see your MSFS.bat file. As I said, I need to see your FSUIPC7.log, with those logging features activated.

Also, as Pete said, please check that you do not have assignments to your joystick axes in MSFS if using FSUIPC to assign.

Think I found it. Attach is the log file

FSUIPC7.1.log

1 minute ago, CamoVecmin said:

As for the logs output, where it will be stored?

In your installation folder, the same place as your FSUIPC7.ini.

Also, you seem to have two axes assigned to the steering tiller for your B787 profile, and one with a huge delta (as mentioned by Pete):
    0=AR,5632,D,36,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: SteeringTiller }-
    1=AS,256,D,36,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: SteeringTiller }-
Did you change that manually to 5632? Why? Try changing it back to 256, the default delta.

And why assign two axes to the same control? Maybe remove one, if you don't need both.

1 minute ago, CamoVecmin said:

Hopefully by installing the new version that will solved the current issue.

There is no change in the new version w.r.t your issue, so it won't. However, check those assignemnts that I mentioned, especially the delta - correct that and try again.
Probably a good idea to re-calibrate your steering tiller axis once you've changed the delta. Your calibration for this axis in your profile looks way different than the general calibration for this axis:
    SteeringTiller=-12873,2560,6144,11903
vs
   SteeringTiller=-32384,-512,7534,32648
Note the differences in the max/min. Your B787 calibration is only using a third of your axis range....maybe that, together with the delta, is your problem?

I have updated to the latest version. Do a fresh Axis Assignments & Calibration and named the profile to Custom B787. In this new install I did not touch any setting for Steering Tiller (direct!) at Joystick Calibration tab. Some how its responsive now. I will give it a go again and update.

25 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

There is no change in the new version w.r.t your issue, so it won't. However, check those assignemnts that I mentioned, especially the delta - correct that and try again.
Probably a good idea to re-calibrate your steering tiller axis once you've changed the delta. Your calibration for this axis in your profile looks way different than the general calibration for this axis:
    SteeringTiller=-12873,2560,6144,11903
vs
   SteeringTiller=-32384,-512,7534,32648
Note the differences in the max/min. Your B787 calibration is only using a third of your axis range....maybe that, together with the delta, is your problem?

This only added later after the problem start happening and I forgot to removed.

I'm starting to suspect my joystick now. Because every time I twist to left or right the numbering in In/Out did not stay constant. Keep changing to different value 😅 

Attach is the files as requested.

FSUIPC7_prev.rar

27 minutes ago, CamoVecmin said:

I did not touch any setting for Steering Tiller (direct!) at Joystick Calibration tab.

Why? If assigning direct to FSUIPC calibration, you have to calibrate. Please re-calibrate your axis, also taking into account my previous comments (e.g. did you remove that strange delta setting)?

So, please check your assignments and calibration and try again. If you still have your issue, then show me your log file (with the appropriate logging activated) as well as your FSUIPC7.ini file - always attach this when you attach a log file please, I need to see them together.

You also have lots of superfluous events logged. Please add
    DontLogThese=67227,67192

to your FSUIPC7.ini profile section (i.e. under [Profile.Custom B787] if that is still what you are using). This should reduce the size of your log files.

The DontLogThese ini parameter didn't seem to work. Did you add this to the ini after you had started FSUIPC7? Maybe move it to the first line after the section name (although this shouldn't make a difference).
Can you also calibrate your steering tiller in the profile please - you currently don't have a calibration profile. Click the profile checkbox in the calibration tab and calibrate your steering axis there.
Then, show me both files again. Check to see if you still have those LIGHT_POTENTIOMETER_SET and FUELSYSTEM_PUMP_SET events logged first - they shouldn't be there when using those DontLogThese options...

Also, did you check that you didn't have any axis assignments in MSFS? The parameters to your rudder.

Although not related to your issue, you should also change to the following settings in your [General] section:

InitialStallTime=100
    NormalStallTime=-2

The first setting will increase the time allowed for the initial connection and prevent retries (MSFS is quite slow to start!) and the second will instruct FSUIPC7 to only log a stalled connection and not re-connect. You can change this later if you get issues and need to re-connect, but when this is a positive value (and especially 1) this can cause many reconnects if/when your system is overloaded and can cause an MSFS CTD when simconnect runs out of connections.

11 hours ago, John Dowson said:

The DontLogThese ini parameter didn't seem to work. Did you add this to the ini after you had started FSUIPC7? Maybe move it to the first line after the section name (although this shouldn't make a difference).
Can you also calibrate your steering tiller in the profile please - you currently don't have a calibration profile. Click the profile checkbox in the calibration tab and calibrate your steering axis there.
Then, show me both files again. Check to see if you still have those LIGHT_POTENTIOMETER_SET and FUELSYSTEM_PUMP_SET events logged first - they shouldn't be there when using those DontLogThese options...

Also, did you check that you didn't have any axis assignments in MSFS? The parameters to your rudder.

Although not related to your issue, you should also change to the following settings in your [General] section:

InitialStallTime=100
    NormalStallTime=-2

The first setting will increase the time allowed for the initial connection and prevent retries (MSFS is quite slow to start!) and the second will instruct FSUIPC7 to only log a stalled connection and not re-connect. You can change this later if you get issues and need to re-connect, but when this is a positive value (and especially 1) this can cause many reconnects if/when your system is overloaded and can cause an MSFS CTD when simconnect runs out of connections.

Thank you for being patience with me. I will try again to do what you advising me to do. Once I have the output will upload it here again. I am currently at work and will finish in 9 hours. Will try to do this once I have the time :)

14 hours ago, John Dowson said:

InitialStallTime=100
    NormalStallTime=-2

Ok. I have some spare time just now and I did what you asked. Also I have done calibrate my the steering axis. So should have it under the profile.

Also, in the Steering Tiller (direct!) I reset and set back the setting and playing around with the slope. I'm shocked to find out that the B787 is more responsive now when turning left and right (this is a big aircraft so I play around with throttle for taxiing).

Yes for your question rudder in MSFS. Its default there. When I remove it, I can't control the aircraft when taking off (no rudder).

Also I have added the line under [General] section.

Anyway pls take a look and let me know.

FSUIPC7_prev.log FSUIPC7.ini

Ok, thanks - I'll take a look at those in detail a bit later. The log looks a lot better - the DontLogThese took affect, so we also know your profile is being used.
Could you provide me with one more log. Just load your aircraft, and move the steering tiller axis through its full range, forward and backwards. Then close down MSFS and attach that log. This will then show the full steering tiller range without too much logging from other activity. Sorry, I should have mentioned this previously. Thanks.

Sorry, can you also activate Extras logging when you produce your log files. This will then log the in/ou after the slope adjustment on the tiller.
Also apply some thrust so that you are moving as the tiller axis won't take effect when stationary.

Edited by John Dowson
Further info added

Hello, sorry for the late reply. Been busy with work. BTW, I notice that when I start MSFS, do I need to reset everything? I ask this because, the tiller doesn't work or load when MSFS start from cold and dark compare to start directly at the runaway, ready for take off (FSUIPC7 however automatic start with MSFS) in the end I have to reset and set back everything.

Also, if I select from reload all assignment, will it load back the specific profile for specific aircraft that I used at that point of time?

I hope the log I attach captured all the required info as I'm not a rocket scientist in this. I'm merely just a plug and play user 🙂

FSUIPC7.ini FSUIPC7.log

You loaded a different model of the 787-10 that is not covered by your profile. Please change your '[Profile.Custom B787]' section to the following so that it will match ALL of you B787 variants:

[Profile.Custom B787]
DontLogThese=67227,67192
1=Boeing 787-10

Can you also change to use the following parameters in the [General] section:

InitialStallTime=125
NormalStallTime=-2

And, as I said, you have to be moving for the steering tiller to take affect (and be logged), so you need to apply some thrust and get moving before you move the tiller through its full axis. Try opening FSUIPC's console window and you can see what is being logged in real time.

21 minutes ago, CamoVecmin said:

notice that when I start MSFS, do I need to reset everything?

No, that shouldn't be necessary.

21 minutes ago, CamoVecmin said:

I ask this because, the tiller doesn't work or load when MSFS start from cold and dark compare to start directly at the runaway, ready for take off (FSUIPC7 however automatic start with MSFS) in the end I have to reset and set back everything.

Not sure what you mean by this. The tiller won't work if the aircraft speed is below the RudderBlendLowest parameter, which defaults to 1 (knot).

Please check your logs before posting them again. We are after a log that shows the rudder axis controls with the parameters, to see if you are getting the full range. There is no point posting the log otherwise.

And, as I also said, maybe also try assigning to the FS Steering Set control (and still calibrate in FSUIPC) to use the actual tiller axis rather than the rudder.

25 minutes ago, CamoVecmin said:

Also, if I select from reload all assignment, will it load back the specific profile for specific aircraft that I used at that point of time?

Yes.

Hi,

I followed your instructions and I hope I get this right. I have deleted other profile and only kept [Profile.Custom B787]. Have included as well the line under [General].

Instead of Steering tiller, I assign to Steering Set and recalibrate my axis. Hope this help and can solved my current issues. Thanks

FSUIPC7.ini FSUIPC7.log

The logs look ok now. They show a few full -ve tiller deflections and some positive (but only up tp 2/3rds). There are a few rudder axis controls so they must be either from an MSFS assignment or auto-rudder. How was the handling - do you get the same problem? If so, I'm not sure there's much that can be done. Is the handling better using Steering Set or better using FSUIPC's Steering Tiller control? You can switch back to the other control to compare.
You could also assign your tiller axis to both the rudder and the steering tiller axis (and turn off auto-rudder) to see if that helps.

When did you notice the change in the steering handling? Was this after (or before) the last MSFS update?

I'll have a look at the B787 later today to see what works best for me and report back.