The simFlight Network Forums

My Topic Has Disappeared?

granathg

I last communicated with John on 2/10/2021 about MSFS control settings for Cessna 172 conflicting with settings I was making in FSUIPC7. He asked me to upgrade to ver 7.0.4 but I've been ill and while I was recovering I saw that 7.0.5 is available so I just installed it. Has my topic been purged because I was late? I can't find it.

John said to make changes to the ini file and I then realized just how bad it was (planes from FSX/FSUIPC4 that don't exist in MSFS). So I have created a new ini. I'm basically starting all over. I had conflicts with default MSFS' axis and button settings that I couldn't resolve, so if you could get me started I'll try to finish things.

I'll do what you recommend - I'd like to reassign yoke and TQ buttons and axes. I want to avoid conflicts but don't know how to make it happen. I just want to start with the Cessna and try to understand what needs doing. I had no problem with FSX/FSUIP4 but MSFS is not my friend and I'm older now (81 in June). MSFS has bugs that may never be fixed (autopilot for one), but if I can get the Cessna in the air and keep it there at least I can look at the scenery.

So can you assist me? I can upload the new (quite barebones) ini file and try to stay healthy.

Thanks and Best Regards, Gary

2 hours ago, granathg said:

Has my topic been purged because I was late? I can't find it.

Topics aren't purged! 

I just clicked on your name and see many topics in which you contributed or started dating right back to 2010. Why don't you try the same?

Pete

3 hours ago, granathg said:

I want to avoid conflicts but don't know how to make it happen

You need to create an empty profile in MSFS for all your controllers (except keyboard and mouse). If you create a new profile for each of your devices, it will be empty by default. You can then assign mainly in FSUIPC, but still have the ability to add an assignment in MSFS if needed (as some controls are only available in MSFS and are not yet working via simconnect/fsuipc). 

On 3/7/2021 at 3:54 AM, Pete Dowson said:

Topics aren't purged! 

I just clicked on your name and see many topics in which you contributed or started dating right back to 2010. Why don't you try the same?

Pete

Pete, My apologies. I wanted to search the forum for my userid anywhere. I misunderstood the search options and failed to tick 'members'. Probably should have ticked 'this forum' too.

One contributing issue that remains unresolved is the lack of an MSFS User Guide. Without one, as many other users, I've had to guess at control setup. Each controller has two columns for its axes and button/key commands. Without an explanation, I've failed at customizing.

As I recall, an FSUIPC4 'profile' applied to a category of aircraft, such as 'dual engine piston'. Now - the way I read your reply, a profile is something that can be defined within MSFS (not as defined within FSUIPC7) and applies to a controller, not to an aircraft category. But I probably misunderstand again (FSUIPC7 probably allows me to create aircraft profiles). It appeared that as I assigned axes and buttons in MSFS, it created a profile for each controller, each (oddly) with its own name. Tried to fly but - bedlam. Since I can't disable the app's control of the devices as I could in FSX (untick one box), I tried deleting the original options from the double-column lists under each controller. Bedlam of a new kind. Ugh. I'm no good at guessing. An MSFS U/G would be a helpful companion.

Then, to see what would happen, I set all MSFS controls to 'Default' and didn't open FSUIPC7. I started a C172 flight, and as expected, all axes and buttons worked. The first time I tried to use FSUIPC7 to customize axis and button assignments the controls didn't work as I expected (based on my experience with FSUIPC4). Maybe I had too much extraneous info in fsuipc7.ini.

Unless you have to correct me again, first I'll set all MSFS controllers to 'Default'. Then close it and start FSUIPC7 and MSFS. In FSUIPC7 I'll assign/calibrate axes and buttons, then see if MSFS can handle it. My ancestry prevents me from giving up until I go down and stay down.

Kind Regards, Gary

5 hours ago, granathg said:

One contributing issue that remains unresolved is the lack of an MSFS User Guide. Without one, as many other users, I've had to guess at control setup. Each controller has two columns for its axes and button/key commands. Without an explanation, I've failed at customizing.

That is something for MSFS/Asobo. We provide guides on how to use FSUIPC which gives access to the controls/events exposed by MSFS.

6 hours ago, granathg said:

As I recall, an FSUIPC4 'profile' applied to a category of aircraft, such as 'dual engine piston'. Now - the way I read your reply, a profile is something that can be defined within MSFS (not as defined within FSUIPC7) and applies to a controller, not to an aircraft category.

There are now two types of profiles - those in MSFS that are attached to your controllers/devices, and those in FSUIPC which are per aircraft (or group of aircraft). They are different. If assigning a controller in FSUIPC (whether using profiles in FSUIPC or not), it is a good idea to start with an empty profile for that controller in MSFS.

6 hours ago, granathg said:

It appeared that as I assigned axes and buttons in MSFS, it created a profile for each controller, each (oddly) with its own name. Tried to fly but - bedlam. Since I can't disable the app's control of the devices as I could in FSX (untick one box), I tried deleting the original options from the double-column lists under each controller. Bedlam of a new kind. Ugh. I'm no good at guessing. An MSFS U/G would be a helpful companion.

If you just create a new profile in MSFS, it will be empty by default. You just need to do this once for each of your devices (except keyboard and mouse - its best leave the default MSFS profiles for those, at least initially).

If using a renamed previous in (from FSUIPC4/5 or 6), ,make sure you delete the contents of the [General] section and let that get rebuilt. Also clean profile aircraft names (or replace them with the MSFS equivalents), or start again with a clean/fresh one and start from scratch.

Thank you very much John. You and Pete excel at support. I flopped because even though I have always followed your U/G, I didn't look for one that gives me access to the controls/events exposed by MSFS.

As I initially modified MSFS control settings, MSFS itself seems to have created different names for each device. Even now, not fully understanding what constitutes an MSFS profile, I don't clearly know what I must I do to create a new, empty MSFS profile.

For the present, I'll leave all MSFS device settings untouched until I find the new guides you mention.

3 hours ago, granathg said:

Even now, not fully understanding what constitutes an MSFS profile, I don't clearly know what I must I do to create a new, empty MSFS profile.

Go to the Controls page (in MSFS, from OPTIONS), select you device, then click PRESET MANAGER, then + (to create a new profile), then give it a name and click Ok. Thats it. Takes 30 seconds for each controller, and you only need do do this once.

You have more productive things to do but please bear with me. I'm stumped. Your instructions are clear but please see uploaded screenshot. On the Welcome page I tap OPTIONS, then CONTROLS, and select the yoke. There is no PRESET MANAGER here. Perhaps something is corrupted. During the initial install I had a catastrophic power failure. I attempted a clean reinstall but I'm not confident that I got the right direction from MSFS support. Several ways of reinstalling are documented. I had to guess.

Controls Image.jpg

• 2 months later...

John, I haven't been able to respond to your latest recommendation (extended health issue). (I think we may have been in direct or private message mode. Can't find your recommendation.) In that thread, you asked me to upload my FSUIPC7.ini file so you could assist with classic Cessna 172 settings. Flight controls work now but way too sensitive. Have to find my most current file, then I'll upload it. The Cessna is all I want to work with. Could you have a look and either recommend changes or just modify it and return to me?

Best Regards, Gary

@granathg Sorry, but I don't know what recommendation you are talking about, especially without a reference. And if it wasn't in this topic, why even mention it....

Anyway. this topic has a BAD title. I am going to close this topic now.

16 minutes ago, granathg said:

Flight controls work now but way too sensitive.

Have you calibrated? Please see the section The Easy Step-by-Step Way to Calibrate Your Controls in the FSUIPC7 User Guide.
Also, try using "Slopes".
If you still can't get it to work, try searching this forum for a similar question/query - I have answered this and provided detailed instructions many times....

Finally, if  you still require any further assistance, then post a new topic  - or, better, post in one of the topics with the same or very similar issue. Also make sure that you are using either the latest official version (v7.1.0) or the latest beta (v7.2.0a) before you post - only the latest versions are supported. Also include/attach any relevant files, usually your FSUIPC7.ini and FSUIPC7.log files, and if a new post, give it a relevant title.

P.S. Sorry to hear about your health issues. Hope that is all resolved or getting better.