The simFlight Network Forums

Assigning a camera to a rocker switch

I’m trying to be able to use a rocker switch on my yoke to quickly check by viewing some things while hand-flying my Alabeo Aztec on FSX-SE.  I have managed to assign to a yoke rocker switch a view from the list (right/down) which nicely covers the gear/flaps.  After I release the switch the view immediately returns to the cockpit.  Just what I wanted.
But the other view (which would be perfect) is at Views/New Views/Cockpit/Fuel Selectors (a centre down view of both fuel selectors and cowl flap levers) but I can’t see a way of setting this up.  I’ve tried using a mouse macro but that didn’t work as the notes had warned me might happen.
Can anyone suggest a way of achieving this?

The aircraft is an add on.  I attach the log file.

FSUIPC4.log

48 minutes ago, rojo2021 said:

But the other view (which would be perfect) is at Views/New Views/Cockpit/Fuel Selectors (a centre down view of both fuel selectors and cowl flap levers)

It depends very much on the aircraft, really. You could try a macro file using a sequence of View or Pan controls. Work out how to do it on the keyboard then do the same thing with macros. After all all the keys will only result in assignable controls being sent. Use FSUIPC event logging to see what they are.

Or perhaps it could be made a camera view -- if it isn't already. Look at your Cameras.cfg file (in the AppData\Roaming folder for the sim). Those camera views assignable to controls have a "HotKeySelect" parameter. I think the number assigned there denotes which VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_n controls selects it.

If it's a Panel then the PANEL_n control should work -- but I think the "n" has to be defined in the aircraft's PANEL.CFG file. Those are the controls sent for Shift+n.

On my VFR cockpit I have a toggle lever for Left and Right views. The "off" position is set to select the default forward view but with the cockpit panel part lowered right down so its top is where the top of my hardware panel it.  But for the Left and Right views I used a combination of two Pan controls, one panning left and the other panning down, so the view swung around and raised a bit to to compensate for the lowering of the main view.

That system is powered off at present, but if you are interested in such a way I can show you what I did next time I power it up (maybe later today, but more likely tomorrow).

Mind you, this was with P3D5. i don't know if the same facilities exist in FSX-SE, though they probably do.

Pete

Hello Roger,

Noticed you posted this on Avsim too, hopefully this will help.

Alabeo provided camera definitions for the fuel selector panel in the aircraft.cfg :) This will make it easy.

1) First you need to provide a "hot key" entry & number to your aircraft.cfg camera definition for the view "Fuel Selector". I have modified mine as such. Make a backup of the cfg if wanted.
Warning! Do not go "willy nilly" on the hot key numbers. Numbers 0-4 (i believe) are reserved in the master camera.cfg file. I used 9, the max, as the value just in case you use some other kind of camera software IE ez-dok. ( don't know, dont own ) 

[CameraDefinition.003]
Title = "Fuel Selector"
Guid = {195EAB58-9E4A-2E2A-A34C-A8D9D948F079}
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = No
SnapPbhAdjust = None
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = None
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = FALSE
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 1.00 //0.45 I optionally put in 1.0 for ease of reading the fuel selector panel, originally 0.45
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ZoomPanScalar = 0.75
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Cockpit
PitchPanRate=20
HeadingPanRate=60
InitialXyz=0.25, -0.1, 0.1
InitialPbh=80, 0, 0
HotKeySelect=9 // This is the  new entry

2) In FSUIPC assign your rocker as such:

"Control sent when button pressed" = VIEW CAMERA SELECT 9, parameter 0 or leave blank
"Control to repeat while held" = unchecked
"Control sent when button released" = VIEW VIRTUAL COCKPIT FORWARD, parameter 0 or leave blank

It works great except... On release of the button it goes back to default VC view, not where you may have been before with zoom, position etc.. ( not really a big deal )

Hope this helps,
Roman

Roger,
An edit after another test..

22 minutes ago, spokes2112 said:

On release of the button it goes back to default VC view, not where you may have been before with zoom, position etc..

When the button is released, using VIEW CAMERA SELECT 1  "should" return you to the original direction, position, zoom etc.. in the VC
"Should" = I cannot be 100% positive with this view select number, my master camera.cfg file is highly modified, checked my backup and it was 1 also.
If it doesn't work try VIEW CAMERA SELECT 0, VIEW CAMERA SELECT 2, VIEW CAMERA SELECT 3 etc.. One of the numbers will get you back.

Roman

Hi Guys,

Hello again Roman.  Thanks to both of you for your interest.  I saw this last night but I'd spent all day Google-trawling for answers and my eyes were going round in circles.

I did find the camera view and it is in the Alabeo  aircraft.config file not surprisingly called Fuel Selector!   

I'll report back later.

Rog

Right.  Reporting back.

After your help I have resolved the problem - just hope these settings 'hold'!

I now have the two snap-to views using the rocker switch.  Each has a hotkey assignment and I used 8 and 9 for the reasons you suggested.  (I don't have Ezdoc either and now I don't need it!).  However regarding the zoom adjustment that didn't seem to make any difference so I moved the camera instead!  Changed (by trial and error) each of the config entries - the xyz settings.  Now really good for a quick look.

Final question on the same topic.  Do you think I'll be pushing my luck to use Camera 7 for a hotkey for another view which would be useful.  The ADF is hidden behind all the quadrant stuff and I can't see the settings very well.

The I'll let you be and just sing your praises!  (I will anyway!)

Good news Roger !

1 hour ago, rojo2021 said:

Do you think I'll be pushing my luck to use Camera 7 for a hotkey for another view which would be useful. 

I believe you could do it.. Although, just to make sure, go to C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Cameras.cfg and check that file for all the HotKeySelect= entries. If 7 is not used in any of them then it is free to use with no side effects. 

May I ask a favor? I noticed my backup Cameras.cfg files are not good backups.. I don't have a stock backup.
In lieu of attaching yours here (path above) I did a little work & setup a view that shows the garmin, nav/com 2 & the adf, all without seeing the quadrant levers.. ( kind of tough )
This replaces the mostly useless 2nd Row Passenger camera.

[CameraDefinition.007]
Title = "Garmin, NAV/COM 2, ADF"         // "2nd Row Passenger"
Guid = {0456199A-99D4-11DC-B263-66CC55D89593}
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = Yes         // You could optionally change this to No
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = YES
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 0.30         // 0.40
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ZoomPanScalar = 0.4
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Cockpit
PitchPanRate=20
HeadingPanRate=60
InitialXyz=0.3, -0.275, 0.555         // 0.6, 0.1, -0.65
InitialPbh=0, 0, 0        // 2, 0, 345
HotKeySelect=7

Roman

Hi Roman,

I checked and set up camera 7 to move close to and above the ADF and peeking/tilted down so I get a view clear of the frequency behind the levers.  Works a treat.  Like before I didn't adjust the zoom instead I changed the xyz settings and the pitch is set to 60 degrees (in initial pbh).

I'm not too clear what you'd like me to do as a favour.  Your amended view of the radio stack seems good to me.  Are you wanting me to test it?  I would need to change the Hotkey as I have used 7 already.

By the way just for the benefit of anyone following this thread I came across a couple of useful things  when I was searching.  One is under 'FS Tips and Addons - understanding cameras in FSX'.  The other was 'Camera configuration in FSX' by Gabor Hrasko (in English!)

Edited by John Dowson
Links added

2 hours ago, rojo2021 said:

I'm not too clear what you'd like me to do as a favour.

No worries Roger, what I was asking for is a stock cameras.cfg file.. I have 1 highly modified one, and 5 backups. None of my backups were of the bone stock one. 😒 Alas, after reading thru the SDK it was found that FSX keeps a stock, unmodified one in the FSX root folder.. Now I have 2 stock ones just in case.

With that,  I can be 100% certain of the hot keys used by the master cameras.cfg file. 1 thru 4.. That leaves 0 & 5 thru 9 available for your own use.

3 hours ago, rojo2021 said:

Are you wanting me to test it?

No, already done & tested - thanks. I like it as it gives a full view of all the avionics close up ( GPS specially ) so my weary eyes can see it better. Plus it shows, as a bonus, the Nav 2 OBI & the ADF Indicator, a nice extra specially if the yoke is visible.

Glad it is working out for you 👍   
Roman