The simFlight Network Forums

Left Shift Key

bcooley66

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem:

When pushing the left shift key to talk, it will eventually stop working to issue commands. It usually happens to me after about 30 minutes of play time. When it happens, all I get is a beeping noise when I push the key, and not voice transmission takes place. I've noticed a few time when I have pushed the button, that a windows box will pop up asking about windows sticky keys? Does this have something to do with the problem that I am having? Please help, as this is really annoying, and it usually happens when the simulation is starting to get real busy! Frustrating to say the least!

On 6/2/2017 at 6:28 PM, bcooley66 said:

When pushing the left shift key to talk, it will eventually stop working to issue commands. It usually happens to me after about 30 minutes of play time. When it happens, all I get is a beeping noise when I push the key, and not voice transmission takes place. I've noticed a few time when I have pushed the button, that a windows box will pop up asking about windows sticky keys? Does this have something to do with the problem that I am having? Please help, as this is really annoying, and it usually happens when the simulation is starting to get real busy! Frustrating to say the least!

Yes, as Andrew said disabling the sticky keys is a must.

Outside of that I've experienced two issues when issuing voice commands: (1) window focus and (2) app performance.

1) Window focus doesn't appear to be your problem, but for best results in a multi-monitored setup you should make sure the main 3D window has focus prior to issuing a voice command.
2) App performance can be an issue - at least that's what I have noticed on my system (which easily exceeds minimum requirements). For me, 3D Pro is definitely a GPU hog and on occasion it can be a CPU/Memory hog. When performance seems to be struggling I find that I need to wait at least two seconds after pressing the Left Shift key before speaking the voice command. If I speak too soon it will either not recognize any of the speech or misinterpret the command. Again, this doesn't happen every session but when it does it seems to be 30-60 minutes into a session and when the app/my system is bogging down.  

Craig

On 2017-6-3 at 0:28 AM, bcooley66 said:

There is a forum feed for this problem, but I think when the popup appears right click the popup.  then click preferences then click the sticky key to disable it. Know doubt if I'm wrong someone will put me right.

7 hours ago, Sky King said:

I also have encountered the app performance issue. Also, for some reason at KLAX (and sporadically other airports), voice rec has a real problem with "via". Has anybody encountered this and have a workaround?

The times I have used voice, I have not had any problems with the "via" command.  It has accepted both "ve ya" and "vi ya" and seems to be the most forgiving on pronunciation.

RickyJ