The simFlight Network Forums

We request a more direct routing

hartleecub

I hope this a/c response to taxi clearances has been eliminated in Tower3D. A more circuitous routing is sometimes

needed, like at SAN...if the a/c doesn't like it, too bad. Trust that the controller has a plan and follow the clearance.

You can request an alternate route all day but if it's not approved, move along.

Mike

Strongly agreed.  I find this particularly annoying at KATL, when cargo planes land on the south runway, but need to travel to the North Cargo ramp, it is so far away that there is no routing that they will accept in spite of the fact that there are numerous viable ways to get there. It leavse the arriving aircraft permanently stuck on the exit from the runway, and all I ever hear is , "We request a more logical route..."   I request some more logical pilots!

Makes sense.  Of course, if there was a way to see what gate/ramp a particular flight was destined for, then it would be simple matter for reassigning the runway prior to landing.  Will T!3D or T!3DPro allow the user to see the destination gates of arrivals while still in the air?

On 25 mei 2016 at 9:59 AM, FeelThere said:

For T1Pro we plan to assign landing runways based on terminals and gates so the plane should land (if possible of course) to the closest runway of it's gate.

Another reason to leave the basic version and wait for Pro...

Being relatively new to ATC, how often are landing runways assigned based on terminal/gate? Using DFW as an example, when listening to LiveATC it seems runway assignment is based on arrival direction especial during peak times - west arrivals land 18R and east arrivals land 17C and 17L. Any exceptions require supervisor approval.

Craig

There is a tendency for arrival direction to take precedence, especially during times of heavy arrival traffic.  However, when the traffic flow is lighter, gate location will often receive more priority.  Keep in mind though that this is a generality, and that every airport develops its own distinct nuances.  Runway and taxiway layout obviously can make a huge difference in what makes more sense at a given field.