The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC 3999z9b and CFS2 Axis Assignments

Hi folks, first post here in the forum :)

I purchased FSUIPC version 3999z9b several weeks ago and installed it for use in Combat Flight Simulator 2. Everything seems to work just fine except for the axis assignments.

I can configure an axis assignment in FSUIPC, and during that entire CFS2 session it works just fine. But, if I exit CFS2 and then run the game again, all of my axis assignments are lost.

The weird thing is that the entries are definitely being saved in my "FSUIPC.ini" file:

[Axes]
0=0Y,256,D,7,8,0,0
1=0Z,256
2=0Z,B,16256,16383,66202,0,66202,0

...but FSUIPC doesn't seem to reload/read those entries when re-running the game.

Strangely enough, the advanced calibration features seem to function though. I also have this in my "FSUIPC.INI" file:

[General]
LeftBrake=0,16383
RightBrake=0,16383

...and that seems to function just fine (FSUIPC reads and reloads those settings when exiting and re-running the game).

I realize that CFS2 is not supported anymore, but was simply wondering if this was a bug with the newest version of FSUIPC, or if I'm doing something wrong.

Now, to throw a cog in the wheel here:

I DID notice though that version 3.999 of FSUIPC does INDEED read and reload the axis assignments in CFS2. Everything in that older version of FSUIPC seems to work just fine with CFS2. The only problem with using that older version though is that it appears that the variables "monitoring" features of FUIPC don't seem to function at all... YET they DO with the newest version 3999z9b of FSUIPC.

P.S. FYI, What I'm doing with the above axis assignments and FSUIPC's advanced calibration settings is using the downward elevator movement on my joystick to apply nice and smooth analog brakes :) Lastly, I'm using the throttle to apply water/methanol injection when it's moved to the extreme full-throttle position :)

Edited by Rich Nagel

1 hour ago, Rich Nagel said:

The only problem with using that older version though is that it appears that the variables "monitoring" features of FUIPC don't seem to function at all... YET they DO with the newest version 3999z9b of FSUIPC.

To deal with this oddity first, could you explain what you mean by  variables "monitoring" features? I don't understand the reference.

On the main point, if FSUIPC really did "forget" to load the axis assignments then there would have been a lot of other support messages arriving here.  FSUIPC3 has not been changed for a long long time and is no longer under development.. Even FSUIPC4 is now 11 years old, but still being developed because of FSX-SE and Prepar3D.

I think about the only thing which could make it appear to do that is if the USB device were disconnecting and reconnecting with a differently Joystick ID. If you are using Windows 8 or Windows 10 I do believe this is possible as Windows itself now no longer sets those IDs -- only the drivers do, and many of those don't either.

All I can suggest is using the JoyIDs program to set a joystick ID yourself.  Also, use Joystick Lettering (page 25 in the user guide). That might help track it. The JoyIDs method is referred to in the FAQ subforum, see the topmost thread, entitled " Fixing joystick connections not seen by FSUIPC".

Pete

Hi Pete,

Sorry, I didn't use the correct term for "variables monitoring features". What I was referring to was the "Specific value checks" on the "Logging" tab of FSUIPC.

The newer 3999z9b version of FSUIPC works properly for CFS2 for the value checking. I was using various offsets (in conjunction with the "AdvDisplay" and "FS Title Bar" options) to ensure that my 'downward elevator to analog brakes' mapping was working properly.

In the newer 3999z9b version of FSUIPC, the values are reported correctly. But, in the older 3.999 version of FSUIPC, the values are always reported as "0" (this for any value that I tried to log or monitor).

BTW, I'm running Windows XP, and my joystick's ID is always the same. In my "FSUIPC.INI" file here are the entries:

[JoyNames]
0=Logitech Extreme 3D
0.GUID={B6477AC0-AFEB-11E3-8001-444553540000}

...which matches what is in my "CFS2.CFG" file:

[JOYSTICK_MAIN {B6477AC0-AFEB-11E3-8001-444553540000}]

I tried what you suggested of using joystick lettering (as well as the JoyID program), but that didn't help.

After editing my "FSUIPC.INI" file with "AutoAssignLetters=Yes", here was what was added to it after re-running CFS2:

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=Yes
0=Logitech Extreme 3D
A=Logitech Extreme 3D
A.GUID={B6477AC0-AFEB-11E3-8001-444553540000}

Then when I set my axis assignments, this is what was added under the "[Axes]" section:

0=AY,256,D,7,8,0,0

...instead of "0=0Y,256,D,7,8,0,0"

Like I posted previously though, after exiting CFS2 and then restarting it, the axis assignment doesn't seem to load in, although the above lines are still in my "FSUIPC.INI" file.

FWIW, If I click on the "Reload all assignments" button (after pressing the "Rescan" button to select the axis), the "0=AY,256,D,7,8,0,0" line (or the "0=0Y,256,D,7,8,0,0" line, if have "AutoAssignLetters=No") is deleted from my "FSUIPC.INI" file.

Anyhow, the older version 3.999 of FSUIPC seems to read and load the axis assignments with no problem, so I suppose that I'll just simply stick with that version :)

The value check logging isn't really that much of a problem (it doesn't seem to function in the older version), but that's not something that I would be using normally.

Anyways, thanks for the help... with the older version of FSUIPC, I love my newly mapped analog brakes :)

BTW, I have another question, concerning LUA scripting.

Is there any way that I can toggle on and off my axis remapping 'on the fly' using a keyboard hotkey? I read quite a few messages about LUA scripting here in the forum (which is how that I think that I may be able to do this, via a LUA script), but that got my head spinning <grin>.

19 minutes ago, Rich Nagel said:

Is there any way that I can toggle on and off my axis remapping 'on the fly' using a keyboard hotkey?

Well, yes, but you'd have to assign the axis to a lua script instead of any FS control, then decide what to do in that script. You can send the value to the correct FS control there.

On this:

22 minutes ago, Rich Nagel said:

If I click on the "Reload all assignments" button (after pressing the "Rescan" button to select the axis), the "0=AY,256,D,7,8,0,0" line (or the "0=0Y,256,D,7,8,0,0" line, if have "AutoAssignLetters=No") is deleted from my "FSUIPC.INI" file.

This is very very strange indeed. The AutoAssignLetters is not in any way related to wither Reloasd or Rescan buttons. It simply isn't involved unless a new USB device is seen.

Maybe it would be a good idea to show me your FSUIPC.INI file. Paste it into a message.

I'm afraid FSUIPC3 is really out of full support now, but if there's something obvious you can fix you end I can let you know. I don't even have FS9 any more, let alone CFS2.

Pete

Thanks for the info about the LUA script... that will give me some ideas about where start :) I might post a new message here in the forum to see if any other members might be able to code an example script :)

As far as the "AutoAssignLetters", I simply meant that the line that was deleted was different; depending on if it was enabled or not (e.g. "0=AY,256,D,7,8,0,0" was deleted if "AutoAssignLetters=Yes", or "0=0Y,256,D,7,8,0,0" if "AutoAssignLetters=No").

Here is the contents of my "FSUIPC.ini" file (note that it's for the older version 3.999 of FSUIPC, hence the "UpdatedByVersion=3999"):

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=No
0=Logitech Extreme 3D

[General]
UpdatedByVersion=3999
GenerateRain=No
StormsAutomatic=No
PatchWeatherToADV=Yes
PlanLoadNoPosition=No
ApplyVisFix=No
AutoTaxiWind=No
WindTransitions=No
CopyDewPtToDayNightVar=Yes
WindSetVariance=No
SubterraneanWindFix=Yes
MagWindsToFST=No
WindVarFactor=7
StormProbability=0
StormMinTemp=10
StormParameters=1030530
CloudForJetTrails=No
SendWeatherAlways=No
SendWeatherInterval=60
RainStopper=75
RainStarter=75
WhiteMessages=No
ThrottleSyncAll=No
GraduatedVisibility=No
LowerVisAltitude=6000
UpperVisAltitude=25000
UpperVisibility=6000
GenerateCirrus=No
WindShearSharp=No
UpperWindGusts=No
GustsRelative=Yes
ExtendMetarMaxVis=No
PatchSimApAlt=No
MouseWheelTrim=No
MouseWheelTrimSpeed=1
BrakeReleaseThreshold=50
AxisInterceptIfDirect=No
DontResetAxes=No
DisconnTrimForAP=No
ZeroElevForAPAlt=No
AutoClearWeather=Yes
ExtendTopWind=No
WindSmoothness=5
SmoothPressure=No
PressureSmoothness=5
SmoothVisibility=No
VisibilitySmoothness=2
MaxSurfaceWind=0
WindLimitLevel=200
WindDiscardLevel=400
WindAjustAltitude=No
WindAjustAltitudeBy=2000
MinimumVisibility=0
MaximumVisibilityFewClouds=0
MaximumVisibility=0
MaximumVisibilityOvercast=0
MaximumVisibilityRainy=0
OneCloudLayer=No
ThinClouds=No
ThinThunderClouds=No
CloudThinness=1000
ThunderCloudThinness=10000
CloudTurbulence=No
CloudIcing=No
WindTurbulence=No
SuppressAllGusts=No
ExternalOptionControl=Yes
AutoTuneADF=No
KeepFS98CloudCover=No
ShowPMcontrols=No
MagicBattery=No
RudderSpikeRemoval=No
ElevatorSpikeRemoval=No
AileronSpikeRemoval=No
ReversedElevatorTrim=No
SuppressCloudTurbulence=No
SuppressWindTurbulence=No
SpoilerIncrement=512
JoystickTimeout=20
PollGFTQ6=Yes
BlankDisplays=No
AxesWrongRange=No
AxisCalibration=No
SuppressSingleline=No
FixWindows=No
LuaRerunDelay=66
MainMenu=&Modules
SubMenu=&FSUIPC ...

[JoystickCalibration]
AllowSuppressForPFCquad=Yes
ExcludeThrottleSet=Yes
ExcludeMixtureSet=Yes
ExcludePropPitchSet=Yes
SepRevsJetsOnly=No
ApplyHeloTrim=No
UseAxisControlsForNRZ=No
FlapsSetControl=0
ReverserControl=66292
Reverser1Control=66422
Reverser2Control=66425
Reverser3Control=66428
Reverser4Control=66431
MaxThrottleForReverser=256
AileronTrimControl=0
RudderTrimControl=0
CowlFlaps1Control=0
CowlFlaps2Control=0
CowlFlaps3Control=0
CowlFlaps4Control=0
MaxSteerSpeed=60
LeftBrake=0,16383
RightBrake=0,16383

[Sounds]
Path=C:\Games\FLIGHT\CFS2\Sound\
Device1=Primary Sound Driver
Device2=SigmaTel C-Major Audio

[Axes]
0=0Y,256,D,7,8,0,0
1=0Z,256
2=0Z,B,16256,16383,66202,0,66202,0

[Buttons]
ButtonRepeat=20,10

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Again, many thanks for the help, Pete :)