The simFlight Network Forums

Needed/suggested fixes for KATL

Avwriter

I am starting this thread to note a few errors and small improvements that would improve the KATL add-on.  I am happy for others to make their own observations, but please do keep to the subject.  If you see something wrong in the add-on, note it (preferably with a screenshot).  I just wanted to make it easy for Vic to see.

-Could the gates at Terminal F have been coded by mistake as small gates instead of large ones?  Heavies do not seem to show up there.  Using the same schedule, if open the terminal file and assign all the international flights to Terminal E, they show up, but if I assign the same flights to Terminal F they do not.  Instead, F usually gets a bunch of DAL Mad Dogs and other smaller craft.  I tried removing DAL entirely form the terminal, and then it just showed up mostly empty.  Terminal F is the primary terminal for international flights at KATL, and most of the planes there are larger ones (777s, A330s, A340s, 747s).   Terminal E is also used for international flights, but only when there is not enough room at Terminal F.  

-Tower height needs to be raised a bit.  See this other post with photos/screenshots about this issue:

-Planes approaching Runway 8L clip the trees off the end of the runway on short final.  This is very hard to get a good screenshot of because it is so far away (really needs to be a video), but I will try when I get a chance.

-Downtown Atlanta appears to have been nuked!  The Atlanta skyline really needs to be present north of the airport for things to look right.  I assume that this was a performance sacrifice, but I wanted to make a suggestion.  The city is about 8 miles from KATL as the crow flies.  It does not look nearly as large from here IRL, as it does in many pictures/postcards that you may have seen, which are usually taken with a telephoto lens zoomed in all the way.  There just needs to be a smallish clump of distant skyscrapers along the horizon.  The shot below (from the tower looking over the North cargo ramp) should give a good idea, and even this view would be the view at full zoom in the game.  Maybe it is asking too much (I do understand that you have to declare it finished at some point), but it would be a nice touch, just to offer a hint of human life out there ;-).  What do you think VIc?  Would it affect performance much?  If so I understand. 

A0656_web-1411x900.jpg

-During storms/rain, the building textures look really strange, almost transparent, and the broad tarmac give the appearance of being flooded under several inches of water.  In the first image below note especially how the buildings in the distance look black.  In the second image look how the area to the left of Terminal F appears to be completely under water.  It is not a big problem, but I wanted to document it in case it was easily fixable:

2017-05-29 16_29_02-Tower! 3D Pro.png

2017-05-29 16_29_25-Tower! 3D Pro.png

18 minutes ago, crbascott said:

Was looking at the RT KATL schedule and noticed there are no arrivals for hour 20. I guess this is a Nyerges issue, but needs to be fixed nonetheless. Thanks!

Craig

PS - The attached PDF has an hour by hour breakdown by departures and arrivals. 

katl_schedule.pdf

Thanks Craig.  That PDF is very helpful.  I can assure you KATL definitely does have arrivals in the 8:00 pm hour :-)   Also surprises me that they have considerably fewer departures than arrivals between 7-9 am.  Early morning is usually a big departure push.  Of course, as we know Nyerges schedules tend to be a bit flaky.  Oh well.

Andrew

Just popping up to let you know that we are following this thread. Atlanta downtown will not be added due to performance issues. When most of the gates are used by airplanes we are having almost tenfold increase on polys compared to LA. By adding anything not crucial to the gameplay is a no-no :)

Thank you

Vic

11 hours ago, FeelThere said:

Just popping up to let you know that we are following this thread. Atlanta downtown will not be added due to performance issues. When most of the gates are used by airplanes we are having almost tenfold increase on polys compared to LA. By adding anything not crucial to the gameplay is a no-no :)

Thank you

Vic

Thanks Vic for letting us know.  I figured that is what it was, but just wanted to ask.  For many years, there was a shopping area in the city called Underground Atlanta.  I will just pretend that this is a post-apocolyptic version of Atlanta where all of the city has gone underground, but that there is still a suspiciously large amount of traffic going in and out of the airport :-))     

I assume you will comment on the other items as soon as you have something to say.  Especially concerned about getting heavies into Terminal F.

Andrew

10 minutes ago, FeelThere said:

So far my concern is Terminal F and the semi transparent buildings. We are just about to wrap up Tracon!2012:SE and this is the next task for us.

Thank you

Vic

Thanks for the update, I do hope we can sort out the issue with the heavies in time as well.

Andrew

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, crbascott said:

With all the speech and installation issues rampant on the board, its' been a little quiet regarding airport fixes and the such. Any update on ATL (specifically Terminal F and RT)?  

Very much agreed.  I have deliberately not brought it up for a while (I feel I did enough nagging prior to release), when Vic last commented on it here, he said it was next up after 2011SE.  That was a few months ago, and now they are getting ready to release a new product, when the problems with the old one have still not been addressed.  Would be nice to know whether the problems with KATL were just forgotten about, or if they presented a greater challenge than anticipated?  Its a bit disappointing.

Andrew

7 hours ago, Avwriter said:

Very much agreed.  I have deliberately not brought it up for a while (I feel I did enough nagging prior to release), when Vic last commented on it here, he said it was next up after 2011SE.  That was a few months ago, and now they are getting ready to release a new product, when the problems with the old one have still not been addressed.  Would be nice to know whether the problems with KATL were just forgotten about, or if they presented a greater challenge than anticipated?  Its a bit disappointing.

Andrew

Andrew, 

I'm on board with you guys.  It's def disappointing that a current game being sold on a platform like Steam is not getting attention.  I loaded into KATL today and found a host of items not going as planned.  Vic I have given some screen caps below of all the weird items.  Seems like your KATL is falling apart.SWbug3.thumb.png.14367bc48afdd5be5b09a351e3f3f091.png

1.  Aircraft taking off down the extreme right side of a runway.   Strange.

2.  Aircraft leaving gates and accept taxi instructions and their airplane icon on AIDRS stays as if it was still parked at the gate.  Strange.  And to compound it, it was giving the same SWA1784 2 departure strips.

3.  Traffic is missing at various times.  I played the 7am hour earlier today and there was a period of 20 minutes where the airport was a ghost town.  Not a single arrival or departure to be found.  I put the game on 4x speed just to let it find the next flight.  Strange.

8RtakeoffBUG.png

SWbug1.png

SWbug2.png

On 5/30/2017 at 5:49 PM, crbascott said:

Was looking at the RT KATL schedule and noticed there are no arrivals for hour 20. I guess this is a Nyerges issue, but needs to be fixed nonetheless. Thanks!

Craig

PS - The attached PDF has an hour by hour breakdown by departures and arrivals. 

katl_schedule.pdf

Craig,

I'm noticing major holes in the flight schedules too.  I just played the 4pm hour at KATL and there was nowhere near 65 departures and even less arrivals.  Something is definitely fishy with the game right now at KATL.  Hoping Vic & the crew get on this.

On 8/26/2017 at 5:20 PM, ATControl -- Joe said:

2.  Aircraft leaving gates and accept taxi instructions and their airplane icon on AIDRS stays as if it was still parked at the gate.  Strange.  And to compound it, it was giving the same SWA1784 2 departure strips.

SWbug1.png

SWbug2.png

I had the same SWA1784 glitch from the same gate.  I ended up deleting one and playing on.  I didn't think to stop and save the logs at the time.  :-(

Edited by Fizziii
Trimmed quoted text to reduce size.

2 hours ago, Fizziii said:

I had the same SWA1784 glitch from the same gate.  I ended up deleting one and playing on.  I didn't think to stop and save the logs at the time.  :-(

What we have here is an issue with Real Traffic. That particular flight number is in the schedule file 3 times. Once as an arrival and twice as a departure. The sim does not like duplicate flight numbers.

MKE, ATL, 739, DL,  659, 14:54, 12:00, 1, DL
MCO, ATL, 73W, WN, 1784, 14:53, 12:00, 1, WN
MUC, ATL, 763, DL,  131, 14:52, 12:00, 1, DL

ATL, GSO, M90, DL, 1466, 12:00, 15:54, 1, DL
ATL, BWI, 73W, WN, 1784, 12:00, 15:53, 1, WN
ATL, BWI, 73W, WN, 1784, 12:00, 15:53, 1, WN

ATL, RSW, 739, DL, 2396, 12:00, 15:53, 1, DL

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2017 at 11:12 AM, FeelThere said:

So far my concern is Terminal F and the semi transparent buildings. We are just about to wrap up Tracon!2012:SE and this is the next task for us.

Thank you

Vic

Any news on patching the above problems in KATL?  I know you guys are busy, but it has been many months (and two new add-on releases) since the problems were identified.  Leave it like this for so long.

Thanks, 

Andrew