The simFlight Network Forums

Problems with KJFK

Kenneth Axi

There seems to be a problem with KJFK and issuing taxi commands: Whenever I have approved a pushback and by mistake issue wrong way to taxi to runway, the game will accept that but when I then correct the plane to taxi the way I intended - the game starts to crawl slower and slower until it completely freezes up. It is easily repeatable - happens EVERY time and with a busy airport with KJFK this happens a lot! What to do?

Edit: It seems that I only have this problem on JFK. If I do Atlanta and do the same - it is not a problem. The game figures out my correct route pretty fast and everything is ok. So I really think this problem is connected to just the JFK-map somehow.

Edited by Kenneth Axi
Added more info to indicate that it is specific problem to JFK

Thats normal it does that when the game can't figure out the path right away. Eventually it will find a path with the taxiways you gave it. But if it doesn't then try just give a genaric pash and see what path it takes. If nothing else works then the only other thing to do is to delete the plane. Also JFK is one of the most intense map in the game. It could be as simple as your unit just can't process the game fast enough to keep it at a high FPS. Or it could be that the games having a hard time being able to keep everything rendered. 

57 minutes ago, mc16v said:

issue a hold position command before giving the corrected taxi route, it may help but depending on the route may still need thinking time

Tried that but the result is still the same. For some reason the game can't figure out the route even if the route is really straight forward. Once the wrong path has been issued - nothing resolves the slowing down/freeze. Not even deleting the airplane. 

16 minutes ago, ml0130 said:

Thats normal it does that when the game can't figure out the path right away. Eventually it will find a path with the taxiways you gave it. But if it doesn't then try just give a genaric pash and see what path it takes. If nothing else works then the only other thing to do is to delete the plane. Also JFK is one of the most intense map in the game. It could be as simple as your unit just can't process the game fast enough to keep it at a high FPS. Or it could be that the games having a hard time being able to keep everything rendered. 

Done that - and to no avail. Even deleting the plane doesn't prevent the freezing of the game. I have a really fast computer and always have really high FPS. A pretty new gaming setup.

9 hours ago, Kenneth Axi said:

Done that - and to no avail. Even deleting the plane doesn't prevent the freezing of the game. I have a really fast computer and always have really high FPS. A pretty new gaming setup.

I guess the reason is the job to calculate the taxiways is not aborted when you delete the plane. It just keeps going until it finds a solution - and dumps it after noticing that the plane has been deleted.

It happens when you have long taxiways and many intersections, because the game not only takes the assigned taxiways, but it calculates taxiways inbetween, in case you didn't include some taxiways.
For example: A plane came off 22R at KB and goes into F. You say something like "taxi to terminal via K B G F", going into G and then turn right into F for the gates. One possible way to now calculate would be K B G Y Z F with the plane crossing 22R twice (something similar happened to me, lately, with another instruction).

I always have these problems getting incoming flights in 4R. Whenever a plane exits at FB there's never a way to get it home, not even an Endevour, let alone a FedEx. 22L is problematic only for cargo flights. In general, every flight taxiing a long way on A or B takes longer to calculate, like a Speedbird going from V to 13R via B MC P PF.

(That, by the way, dear developers, would be another argument for progressive taxi in the next Tower version... "left on B, hold short of MC" has way fewer calculations to make... ;) )