The simFlight Network Forums

BOS winds qustion

MustangPauli

Has anyone had winds out of the south at BOS? I really want to do a session using the 22s but every single time I load the airport I get northerly winds.

I just tried loading BOS 12 times in a row and I got northeasterly winds eight times and northeasterly ones the remaining four times. I know the winds in the sim are based on yearly averages but, does that mean they are fixed on the most common patterns? Or does it mean that every time the sim is loaded you'll get say a 90% of a northerly wind at BOS and 10% for a southerly (or whatever the actual breakdown is, I'm just making those numbers up)?

I know I can just ignore the winds and use the 22s anyway but very often the speed is too high to ignore and aircraft will refuse landings/takeoffs.

Craig,

For once I disagree with you :)

When I ignore the annoyingly non-prevailing and overly strong winds that are all to common in T3DP when random weather is selected I often get pilots refusing to taxi because the “crosswind is too high” (that should be tailwind). Also aircraft go around from short finals for the same reason. It is a rather annoying ‘feature’ of the simulation that Is high on my ‘please fix list’.

Wayne

33 minutes ago, winsaudi said:

Craig,

For once I disagree with you :)

When I ignore the annoyingly non-prevailing and overly strong winds that are all to common in T3DP when random weather is selected I often get pilots refusing to taxi because the “crosswind is to high” (that should be tailwind). Also aircraft go around from short finals for the same reason. It is a rather annoying ‘feature’ of the simulation that Is high on my ‘please fix list’.

Wayne

Winds have no affect on the planes. I didn't say pilots.

Crosswinds, headwinds, tailwinds have no affect on plane performance.

1 hour ago, Sky King said:

While Wayne's statement is technically true, Xwinds,headwinds, tailwinds all have significant impact on the plane's groundspeed which means that landing/takeoff performance will be affected. See http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726501 for a discussion of this.

SK

Wow, I guess I need to clarify myself again. Winds have no affect on the planes in this sim. Geez @Sky KingI thought you'd give me credit for being smart enough to know that wind in real life is a major factor. 

Craig,

Again I disagree with you (this is becoming a habit). Aircraft will not taxi to a runway with a strong tailwind factor "Take-off is delayed, the crosswind is too high" and on short finals after being cleared to land on a runway with a strong tailwind the aircraft do not land "Going around, the crosswind is too high".  So in this sim the wind does have an effect which is why it is so annoying that it seems to be modelled incorrectly.
Wayne

1 hour ago, winsaudi said:

Craig,

Again I disagree with you (this is becoming a habit). Aircraft will not taxi to a runway with a strong tailwind factor "Take-off is delayed, the crosswind is too high" and on short finals after being cleared to land on a runway with a strong tailwind the aircraft do not land "Going around, the crosswind is too high".  So in this sim the wind does have an effect which is why it is so annoying that it seems to be modelled incorrectly.
Wayne

OK - I disagree with all your disagreements. How about that!

You are totally misunderstanding my point. I'm not saying wind doesn't affect gameplay.

I am saying that in this sim the wind does not affect the plane's performance, dynamics, speed, etc. For that 20 nm final - whether it is a headwind, tailwind, crosswind, sunny, foggy, or rainy - a plane will always fly the same speed, land the same distance, etc.

So, for that reason, I very seldom mess with weather settings. If I want to operationally change active runways "due to wind" I'll setup a random timer or decide to do it on a whim whether it is single player or multiplayer.

Craig -- with the qualification of 'in this sim', surprisingly I agree. IMHO, the weather part is the weakest part of the sim. Too bad they don't use a version of simconnect (to P3D weather add-ons like Active Sky, etc) to allow real weather to be imported into the sim.

Also, is the random timer outside of the sim?

Regards,

P.

1 hour ago, Sky King said:

Craig -- with the qualification of 'in this sim', surprisingly I agree. IMHO, the weather part is the weakest part of the sim. Too bad they don't use a version of simconnect (to P3D weather add-ons like Active Sky, etc) to allow real weather to be imported into the sim.

Also, is the random timer outside of the sim?

Regards,

P.

Woo hoo! Finally, someone agrees with me. :)

Yes the random timer is outside of the sim. Occasionally, I'll use this site - https://www.random.org/clock-times/ - to generate the time, then tell Alexa to set an alarm for that time. :)

Craig

@crbascott, when you adjust your situation at those random times are you setting active runways based on the in-game wind gauge or do you use other fictitious values? Do you also introduce random outages of some nature to block a taxiway or a runway?

No, I usually ignore the wind settings and create whatever situation I want.  Occasionally, I'll close a runway. Actually, at KLAS I'll do that a little more often as too many commercial planes like to use 19R for arrivals when the 19s and 25s are active. This will force them to use 25L which is a little more realistic..

I'm also working on another challenge on the Discord server based on the current real-life situation of 25R being closed at KLAX.

Craig,

I agree to your disagreements.  However, I prefer to use random weather so I have to cope with whatever the sim gives me and I like to run one 24-hour cycle (in bite sized pieces) at one airport before moving on to another. However, the sim's random winds seem to be overly strong and do not reflect prevailing winds so the RL preferred runway configurations are often unworkable.  Shall we end this here to avoid boring the other forum members? :)

Wayne