The simFlight Network Forums

Tower 3D pro! - LAX - Gate Issue

ashman99

Whenever I play LAX and have watched others play on Youtube; I never seem to find any planes taxi to gate 30 and gate 37A in terminal 3 and gate 48A in Terminal 4. There are jet ways there which seem like the planes would use but never do. I don't believe it matters on aircraft size as I see sometimes that the simulation will park any size of aircraft at any gate in KPHX. But just curious does it depend on the size of the plane using the gate? Or could it be just a bug at LAX?

- Ashton

4 hours ago, ashman99 said:

Whenever I play LAX and have watched others play on Youtube; I never seem to find any planes taxi to gate 30 and gate 37A in terminal 3 and gate 48A in Terminal 4. There are jet ways there which seem like the planes would use but never do. I don't believe it matters on aircraft size as I see sometimes that the simulation will park any size of aircraft at any gate in KPHX. But just curious does it depend on the size of the plane using the gate? Or could it be just a bug at LAX?

- Ashton

Size matters!

Going back to some early research I did, each gate has a parameter called termlimit with values of 0, 1, or 2 indicating the maximum usable plane size at that gate. If I'm not mistaken 0 is for props & turboprops, 1 is for regional jet & narrow body jet, and 2 is for wide body jet. 

At LAX gates 30, 37A, 48A, and 75B are defined as termlimit="0" which means only props and turboprobs can park there. More than likely in this case, the developers used this definition to help with troublesome pushbacks. Unfortunately just as you are seeing, that means these gates can become unusable.

1 hour ago, crbascott said:

Size matters!

Going back to some early research I did, each gate has a parameter called termlimit with values of 0, 1, or 2 indicating the maximum usable plane size at that gate. If I'm not mistaken 0 is for props & turboprops, 1 is for regional jet & narrow body jet, and 2 is for wide body jet. 

At LAX gates 30, 37A, 48A, and 75B are defined as termlimit="0" which means only props and turboprobs can park there. More than likely in this case, the developers used this definition to help with troublesome pushbacks. Unfortunately just as you are seeing, that means these gates can become unusable.

Thank you for answering my question! Those are some interesting findings; it would make sense since Alaska Horizon previously gated with their Dash's at Terminal 3. Is there any way to be able to edit the termlimit for those particular gates to a higher number to accommodate Delta using their jets there now without breaking the airport or pushbacks? If not; totally okay; but just wondering..

17 minutes ago, ashman99 said:

Is there any way to be able to edit the termlimit for those particular gates to a higher number to accommodate Delta using their jets there now without breaking the airport or pushbacks? If not; totally okay; but just wondering..

This would be nice, *cough* Stuttgart *cough*,  but unfortunately no, it's in the programming 😔

39 minutes ago, hexzed said:

This would be nice, *cough* Stuttgart *cough*,  but unfortunately no, it's in the programming 😔

What do you think the likely chances are that the Devs would update the termlimits for these gates in a future SP? I know that they recently just had an SP for LAX with new liveries and such but I honestly don't believe that I'm the first person to see this gate error and just barely bring it up? I remember when KLAS had difficulties with Terminal E and they were able to clear that up. (Even if they updated it to just a regional jet usage; as most US Carriers don't use props anymore/In reality Jetblue and Virgin Amer. used all the gates at Terminal 3 before delta took over.) Just disappointing we aren't able to use every gate manageable at the airport.

7 hours ago, ashman99 said:

What do you think the likely chances are that the Devs would update the termlimits for these gates in a future SP? I know that they recently just had an SP for LAX with new liveries and such but I honestly don't believe that I'm the first person to see this gate error and just barely bring it up? I remember when KLAS had difficulties with Terminal E and they were able to clear that up. (Even if they updated it to just a regional jet usage; as most US Carriers don't use props anymore/In reality Jetblue and Virgin Amer. used all the gates at Terminal 3 before delta took over.) Just disappointing we aren't able to use every gate manageable at the airport.

The SP for LAX was for Real Color and is managed (along with Real Traffic) by a different developer. All these bugs and nuances are fixable, but sadly FeelThere decided to lock down the base game and associated airports almost 9 months ago. 👎

For Tower!2011, we had the the ability to modify/create airports and airplanes. That ability was not included with Tower!3D Pro but FeelThere has hinted that customization might be added back in the next version. 👍 Unfortunately, we are now in a waiting game for the (much needed, in my opinion) next version. ☹️

3 hours ago, crbascott said:

For Tower!2011, we had the the ability to modify/create airports and airplanes. That ability was not included with Tower!3D Pro but FeelThere has hinted that customization might be added back in the next version. 👍 Unfortunately, we are now in a waiting game for the (much needed, in my opinion) next version. ☹️

Dang, that would be very nice. I'll put my vote in for that once the FT folks open up the request lines...