The simFlight Network Forums

KBOS taxi on Runway instructions

Pedantic G

Hi all, 

Got back to running Boston again today and watching on FR24 noticed that they use the runways a lot when helping to sort out the taxi mess you can easily get into with KBOS.

Remember not so long back that someone in a thread posted the set of instructions of the commands to add to allow this to happen and the file and lines space you should add this to. (If I remember it works for arrivals only, not departures)

Can someone point me in the direction of the thread it was in or repost in this thread?

Many thanks in advance.

Gary

found it in this thread 🙂 https://forum.simflight.com/topic/85525-new-airports-for-tower-3d-pro/?page=5&tab=comments#comment-522200

These are the seven lines I added and it works 90% of the time.

#airplane1; TAXI TO TERMINAL VIA ;#runway1;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO TERMINAL VIA ;#taxiway1;#runway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO TERMINAL VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#runway1;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO TERMINAL VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#runway1;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO TERMINAL VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#runway1;#taxiway5;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO TERMINAL VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#runway1;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO TERMINAL VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6;#runway1

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Pedantic G said:

Can someone point me in the direction of the thread it was in or repost in this thread?

I think I know what thread you're addressing. Yesterday I searched intensively for it and also went through my activities. It seems that the thread has been deleted.

I do the following in the tower3d.rec file:

I replaced the line

#airplane1; TAXI TO TERMINAL VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6

with

#airplane1; TAXI TO TERMINAL VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO TERMINAL VIA ;#runway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO TERMINAL VIA ;#taxiway1;#runway1;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO TERMINAL VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#runway1;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO TERMINAL VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#runway1;#taxiway5;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO TERMINAL VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#runway1;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO TERMINAL VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#runway1

and

#airplane1; TAXI TO RAMP VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6

with

#airplane1; TAXI TO RAMP VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO RAMP VIA ;#runway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO RAMP VIA ;#taxiway1;#runway1;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO RAMP VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#runway1;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO RAMP VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#runway1;#taxiway5;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO RAMP VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#runway1;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO RAMP VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#runway1

and

#airplane1; TAXI TO APRON VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6

with

#airplane1; TAXI TO APRON VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO APRON VIA ;#runway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO APRON VIA ;#taxiway1;#runway1;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO APRON VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#runway1;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO APRON VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#runway1;#taxiway5;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO APRON VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#runway1;#taxiway6
#airplane1; TAXI TO APRON VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#runway1

Now I can, for arrivals, use none or "one" runway in the taxi instructions. I overwrite one taxiway at a time. (For example: from taxiway1 via runnway1 to taxiway3, and not to taxiway2.) In my tests this worked best for me.

Then I've replaced the line

#airplane1; RUNWAY ;#runway1; TAXI VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6

with

#airplane1; RUNWAY ;#runway1; TAXI VIA ;#taxiway1;#taxiway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6
#airplane1; RUNWAY ;#runway1; TAXI VIA ;#taxiway1;#runway2;#taxiway3;#taxiway4;#taxiway5;#taxiway6

With this, I'm able to use taxi instructions for departures, with one runway in the second position. And the runway must be in second position! Example for KPHL: DAL123, RWY 27R, TAXI VIA H 17 S...

In the tower3d.rec you could also put the runway in first place, but in second place you have more control over the taxi path. Putting the runway in a place further back (than the 2nd position) didn't work reliably or even at all in my tests.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This is great because IRL RWY 15L/33R is used frequently as a taxiway for aircraft arriving on 4R. The sim doesn't seem to understand the command "Runway 33R" but it does understand simply "33R" so that's fine. The taxiway connections between Y, 33R, and M are a little funky but other than looking a little weird that's not a huge problem.

The one major issue though is once you give the command to cross onto 33R from Y the aircraft will not stop and hold short of any other runway even if you give it instructions to hold short of a specific runway. That's a problem if you're also using 4L. The only way to get the aircraft to stop is to use the non-specific "Hold position" command which means you constantly have to watch the taxing aircraft. That kind of defeats the time-saving benefit of using 33R as a taxiway. You avoid the massive buildups that can occur around the M/33L, Q/4L, & F/4L intersections but you end up with a totally new problem of runway incursions on 4L.

Does anyone know of a way to get the aircraft to stop at 4L? (or whatever other runways you might be using this modification on).