The simFlight Network Forums

Lag for L-SHIFT Release?

Agrajag

Has anyone found a way to offset or improve the lag involved in holding down the left shift key when using voice recognition? 

I'd also be curious to know if this is what everyone experiences or if it's just my setup. My biggest VR hurdle is having so many of my commands just get "cut-off" even though I certainly held the key beyond my saying the command in question.

I know I have experienced this at times, but is not something that happens all the time.  For me, it seems to happen when the game has been running for a while with heavy traffic at a big airport like KATL or KJFK.   Are you saying that this is something that happens to you all the time, or just some of the time?  What are your system specs?  Are you sure that you have killed as many background apps as possible?  Are starting the game with "Run as Administrator"?

Andrew

I have a decent system, i7-8700k, 4ghz, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1070. Runs X-Plane 11 with no problem.

It happens all the time. I find that if I say "United 456 Runway 27, Cleared to Land" that I finish saying Land and have to hold the SHIFT key for another full second or so before it will appear in the text box and I can then let go. About a 15% of all my commands (now that I watch this all the time -- it used to be much higher) end with response of "Negative" because what they got was all but the last word. Clear to.... Cleared for.... Contact.... Continue.... etc.

I could make sure I'm running as Administrator and I do keep my Chrome session open which usually has about 8 or so tabs going. Little else going on. I find Window Speech Recognition seems to respond more quickly and thought about switching over to it instead, but given its open vocabulary it would end up making many more mistakes.

I have the same problem. It just seems to take some commands longer than others to be recognized. Cleared to land is one I always clip if I am not careful. I have developed the habit of just quickly checking the text readout on the screen. Once the complete command appears in the text window, it is ok to release the mike button.

George

2 hours ago, GKibby said:

I have the same problem. It just seems to take some commands longer than others to be recognized. Cleared to land is one I always clip if I am not careful. I have developed the habit of just quickly checking the text readout on the screen. Once the complete command appears in the text window, it is ok to release the mike button.

That pretty much describes it perfectly. I do the same thing. Sneak a peak up there to see that the last word is in the text window. It's when I get busy that I can't always do it and then it's just doubly bad. 

This seems to be like a caching issue of some sort. I worked on a popular Flight Simulator tool that had speech recognition and we never had this issue. As long as you said it, the system would catch it. It might take a moment for it to process, but it took in the recording whole. I have to think there's a way to take in the speech as a whole and then apply it. Not sure which way would be faster, but again, I just know we never had this issue with the other product.

Good morning. I think I have an answer but I am not where I can try it out. I've spent the whole summer in a rehab facility for continuing knee problems. The good news is I go home tomorrow and will be reunited with my computer (with 3 new airports to install and learn). I will try to recreate the problem and get back to you.

George

22 hours ago, Agrajag said:

I've never actually tried Cortana. Not even sure it's enabled. How would you recommend I test that? (And thanks for monitoring this)

Please go through the main voice recognition setup described here: 

Cortana is not really needed for T3DP but it helps to verify that Voice Recognition is enabled and running in your computer. You should follow the basic procedure to setup cortana in your windows OS. https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/change-cortanas-voice-windows-10