The simFlight Network Forums

SIMCONNECT_MENU_x Controls

John/Pete,

I have an app (EFC737) that triggers SimConnect Text Menu items by sending SIMCONNECT_MENU_0,  SIMCONNECT_MENU_1 events through SimConnect to P3D. Testing with P3DV5 it seems that these events no longer function. They were as far as I know undocumented (in that they aren't listed as events in the SDK). 

I know that FSUIPC exposes these controls and gives users the option to assign them to key presses. I've tried that as well in P3DV5 and they don't work through that route either. They continue to function in P3DV4 using FSUIPC6 so looks like it's definitely P3DV5 related.

It appears LM have either by design or by accident removed these controls from P3DV5

I'll post it on the P3D forums.

Regards

Simon.

Pete,

Interesting, does this mean that in FSUIPC when you assign a Key Press to the Control "Simconnect Menu 1", in the background it is actually sending a keypress of 1 to P3D, rather than using the event?

If so, then something more interesting is going on because in P3D5 these controls don't seem to work either, at least not in my installation.

If I assign say Ctrl+F to Simconnect Menu 1, bring up a SimConnect menu (for example GSX) and then hit Ctrl+F, nothing happens. In P3DV4, using a shared install of FSUIPC6, it works fine.

I'll have a go at refactoring my app to use key presses instead and see what happens.

Regards

Simon.

1 hour ago, zillmer said:

does this mean that in FSUIPC when you assign a Key Press to the Control "Simconnect Menu 1", in the background it is actually sending a keypress of 1 to P3D, rather than using the event?

No. It is just that I never got consistent results with those Simconnect Menu events in P3D4.

1 hour ago, zillmer said:

I'll have a go at refactoring my app to use key presses instead and see what happens.

If you want to keep it at Ctrl+F you can assign to the added FSUIPC controls to send a keypress.

Pete

Hi guys,

I too have the problem where the FSUIPC 6.0.3 simconnect menu controls do not operate in P3dv5, but are fine in P3Dv4.

Also, and more importantly for me, I use 0xB000 et al to retrieve the menu items in order to display them on a custom page in my CDU. These values are not being populated in P3Dv5, so the LM simconnect message events must have been changed as well?

So based on your above messages I gather I should be having this discussion with LM.

I will post something in their forum and if I learn anything I will let you know.

James

28 minutes ago, 737-SimGuy said:

I too have the problem where the FSUIPC 6.0.3 simconnect menu controls do not operate in P3dv5, but are fine in P3Dv4.

Hi James,

They never worked for me in P3D4 either.   I have always had to assign to the normal keypresses, as you would operating on the P3D keyboard directly..

Do they work if you assign in P3d5, or does "not being populated" mean they aren't listed for assignment? (I wasn't sure what tat meant. Sorry).

Pete

20 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

Do they work if you assign in P3d5, or does "not being populated" mean they aren't listed for assignment? (I wasn't sure what tat meant. Sorry).

Pete

Hi Pete,

I was referring to the 0xB000 offsets there:

B000 4 bytes changed indicator (tick count at time)

B004 4 bytes type value (as documented for Lua)

B008 4 bytes display duration in secs (32-bit float)

B00C 4 bytes the ID of the SimConnect event

B010 4 bytes the length of the data followingB014he text data received (<= 2028 bytes)

These are what is not being populated with data in P3Dv5 when the SimConnect textmenu is active. They work perfectly in P3Dv4.

The "textmenu.cpp" in the P3Dv4&5 SDK are exactly the same regarding the event structure, so I'm thinking it is a bug on LM part. I have posted a message in LM SDK forum, but no response so far.

James

15 hours ago, 737-SimGuy said:

I was referring to the 0xB000 offsets there:

Ah, you mean the text intervention, so that displays can be diverted to another PC  via WideClient.

I've not got to testing that yet -- I've only just received the DX12 update for TruView (equivalent of your Immersive Pro) and was planning a test flight this afternoon.

Note: I was confused by your post because the thread was about the Events (Controls) to select an item in a displayed menu aren't working. It wasn't related to text interventin and diversion.

Anyway, if it isn't working in P3D5 that's serious enough for me to stay with P3d4 until that's fixed -- i thought I was only waiting for ActiveSky! 😞

Thanks for reporting it. I will also do so, after I've verified it myself later today, and will post in the developer's section.

Thanks,
Pete

11 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

I've not got to testing that yet

Verified! P3Dv5 doesn't send the SystemEvents for SimConnect Texts or Menus.

I've posted to L-M in the Beta (Developer's) forum.

[LATER]

The problem has gained L-M attention, both in the SDK forum and in the Developer's forum, so I expect we'll see results in due course! 

Pete

Pete

On 4/22/2020 at 3:03 PM, Pete Dowson said:

The problem has gained L-M attention, both in the SDK forum and in the Developer's forum, so I expect we'll see results in due course! 

Pete

Pete

Very good! I posted in their SDK forum as well as one other before me. glad to hear they read them as I received no response.

Thanks Pete,

James

Hi James,

We've locate the problem. It's our code, not P3Dv5. It was all to do with Version Checking. The Text events weren't supported till P3Dv4.2 (for creation) and 4.3 (for destruction0, and we had on tidy snippet of code using just the subversion, so P3Dv5 looked like 4.0!! Duh!

This is one of the troubles with trying to support multiple versions when facilities being used change. I wish sometimes we could force all users to keep their sim software up to date!

I expect John will include the fix in the next version of FSUIPC6.

Pete

On 4/25/2020 at 3:46 AM, Pete Dowson said:

Hi James,

We've locate the problem. It's our code, not P3Dv5. It was all to do with Version Checking. The Text events weren't supported till P3Dv4.2 (for creation) and 4.3 (for destruction0, and we had on tidy snippet of code using just the subversion, so P3Dv5 looked like 4.0!! Duh!

This is one of the troubles with trying to support multiple versions when facilities being used change. I wish sometimes we could force all users to keep their sim software up to date!

I expect John will include the fix in the next version of FSUIPC6.

Pete

Ok thanks Pete. I'll keep an eye out for it...

James

• 1 month later...

Hi Pete

i have the following entries in the ini active to address the simconnect window. in prepar3d v4.5 it worked wonderfully but no longer 
worked in v5.0. has anything changed in fsuipc 6.0? how can I get this working again?

4=P64,1,C67145,1     -{SIMCONNECT_MENU_0}-
5=U64,1,C67145,0     -{SIMCONNECT_MENU_0}-
6=P64,2,C67136,1     -{SIMCONNECT_MENU_1}-
7=U64,2,C67136,0     -{SIMCONNECT_MENU_1}-
8=P64,3,C67137,1     -{SIMCONNECT_MENU_2}-
9=U64,3,C67137,0     -{SIMCONNECT_MENU_2}-
10=P64,4,C67138,1     -{SIMCONNECT_MENU_3}-
11=U64,4,C67138,0     -{SIMCONNECT_MENU_3}-
12=P64,5,C67139,1     -{SIMCONNECT_MENU_4}-
13=U64,5,C67139,0     -{SIMCONNECT_MENU_4}-
14=P64,6,C67140,1     -{SIMCONNECT_MENU_5}-
15=U64,6,C67140,0     -{SIMCONNECT_MENU_5}-
16=P64,7,C67141,1     -{SIMCONNECT_MENU_6}-
17=U64,7,C67141,0     -{SIMCONNECT_MENU_6}-
18=P64,8,C67142,1     -{SIMCONNECT_MENU_7}-
19=U64,8,C67142,0     -{SIMCONNECT_MENU_7}-
20=P64,9,C67143,1     -{SIMCONNECT_MENU_8}-
21=U64,9,C67143,0     -{SIMCONNECT_MENU_8}-
22=P64,10,C67144,1     -{SIMCONNECT_MENU_9}-
23=U64,10,C67144,0     -{SIMCONNECT_MENU_9}-

Kind Regards

Ramon

Hi Ramon,

I took a look but there's nothing we can do about this in FSUIPC. The problem has been reported to LM, but I'm afraid I can't find these posts due to the limited search facilities provided ('_' is treated as a space and 'simconnect' and 'menu' entry are too common to be searched for!).

I think that you would be better off converting these to standard key presses (to select the appropriate menu entry), as discussed earlier in this thread.

Cheers,

John

Hi John

I have the buttons active in FSUIPC. I activated the buttons with fscontrol and assigned the simconnect windows 0-9, but they are not executed when 
i press the respective button. how can I assign the simconnect menus standard key presses (to select the appropriate menu entry) to a keypress?

Cheers,

Ramon

3 hours ago, Metall4You said:

I have the buttons active in FSUIPC. I activated the buttons with fscontrol and assigned the simconnect windows 0-9, but they are not executed when 
i press the respective button. how can I assign the simconnect menus standard key presses (to select the appropriate menu entry) to a keypress?

You are currently assigning to "SIMCONNECT MENU" controls in the Buttons & Switches tab in FSUIPC Options. If you look on the left side of that options tab you will see you can make buttons send keypresses instead. Keypresses 0-9 are what are normally used by users with a keyboard to select entries in a Simconnecvt menu. There's nothing wrong with you doing the same, but via a button or switch. Use what works.

Pete