The simFlight Network Forums

What am I doing wrong?

What am I doing wrong?

When I purchased FSUPIC6, it installed into the Documents folder in the P3DV4 Add ons folder. I had to re-do all my mappings...  Good news was that my mappings were porting over to V5.

I just installed 6.0.8 and now it installed into the V5 Add Ons folder and now my mappings are once again gone. What am I doing wrong or what files do I need to backup before updating FSUIPC?

12 hours ago, ssanchez said:

I just installed 6.0.8 and now it installed into the V5 Add Ons folder and now my mappings are once again gone. What am I doing wrong or what files do I need to backup before updating FSUIPC?

Your "mappings" are not deleted. They are still in the FSUIPC6.INI file you placed into the P3DV4 Add ons folder. Now you reinstalled into the P3DV5 Add ons folder you just need to copy that file scross, overwriting any default one now generated.

As Thomas explained above, you are given the choice of where to Install FSUIPC, and whether you want two separate installations, one for each of P3D4 and P3D5. If you only choose one of those and don't provide an alternative folder then the installer will install into the relevant Add ons folder.

And, also as Thomas says, this is explained in the Installtion guide provided in the ZIP!

1 hour ago, ssanchez said:

My FSUIPC folder in Add-Ons V4 was wiped out when I updated to 6.0.8

Did you do this manually? Installing/uninstalling FSUIPC will only ever removes files it creates during the installation process, as well as log files. It will not remove .ini or .key files (or any other files, such as .mcro or .lua) so that these can be re-used, and these must be manually removed if needed.

I downloaded 6.0.8 then double clicked the installer. Followed the prompts. It said I already had FSUIPC 6 installed and that it needed to be removed, I said Ok, and boom... folder gone.
I was surprised that I needed to register again.

4 hours ago, ssanchez said:

It said I already had FSUIPC 6 installed and that it needed to be removed, I said Ok, and boom... folder gone.

Are you sure? FSUIPC6 will only remove the folder if its empty after removing the files it has installed. It will not remove key and ini files, and so the folder will remain if its not empty. Maybe you can attach the created uninstall log.

4 hours ago, ssanchez said:

I was surprised that I needed to register again.

You shouldn't need to register again. If the installer finds a .key file in your installation directory, it will populate the fields in the registration dialog, but you don't have to register - just click 'Skip'. If the dialog isn't populated, it means that no key file was detected. In this case, you either have to register again, or you can skip and copy your key file across from its previous location.

52 minutes ago, ssanchez said:

Note the last 2 lines where it removed the FSUIPC folder from my v4 add ons installation

Yes, it removes the FSUIPC6 folder from your v4 add-ons directory as you uninstalled and this folder is empty, after the add-on.xml file is removed. Its empty as you installed FSUIPC6 into your P3Dv4 Modules folder. It did this as this is the default location when installing FSUIPC6 if you previously had FSUIPC5 installed, and you just blindly accepted this location rather than choosing another.

52 minutes ago, ssanchez said:

tried to skip the registration, but when I fired up P3D, FSUIPC was the unregistered version...

If the registration fields were empty (in the registration page during installation) then this is because there is no key file in the folder where you installed. You just need to copy your previous FSUIPC6.key file from where it was originally registered (i.e. your P3Dv4 Modules folder) to the new installation location.

Please read the installation manual.

I'll just take screenshots next time I update.

The reason there were no keys is because the folder was wiped out.

Thank you. I'll report next time this happens. I have read the manual. I have had FSUIPC since FS9. I have created macros. I have created LUA files. The fact that I only have 13 posts here and half of them come from this thread should tell you is not usual for me to have this kind of issues.

I'll report if it happens again

48 minutes ago, ssanchez said:

The reason there were no keys is because the folder was wiped out.

As I have said, this is because that folder was empty. It did not contain your key file.

Just look at your uninstall log - notice this:
    Delete file: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Modules\FSUIPC6.dll
This tells me that you installed FSUIPC6 into your P3Dv4 Modules folder.  As I said, this will be the default location if you install FSUIPC6 to replace an FSUIPC5 installation. When you installed here (and using the add-on.xml install method), the installer will also create the FSUIPC6 folder and add-on.xml file here (from where it was removed):
    Delete file: C:\Users\sergi\OneDrive\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\FSUIPC6\add-on.xml
    Remove folder: C:\Users\sergi\OneDrive\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\FSUIPC6\

Nothing else is created (or should be) in that folder. When you uninstall FSUIPC6, it will be removed.
So, your FSUIPC6.key file would have been created in your installation directory, i.e. in C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Modules\

54 minutes ago, ssanchez said:

I'll report if it happens again

It won't happen again and it didn't happen in the first place. You just did not know where you installed.

58 minutes ago, ssanchez said:

I have read the manual. I have had FSUIPC since FS9. I have created macros. I have created LUA files. The fact that I only have 13 posts here and half of them come from this thread should tell you is not usual for me to have this kind of issues.

The installer for this version is very different from previous installers - it has been completely re-written, as FSUIPC6 now supports multiple simulator versions (i.e. P3Dv4 and P3Dv5), and also gives you the flexibility to have one installation for both sim versions, or separate installations.