The simFlight Network Forums

Panel Buttons Activated Upon Start-up

I purchased a Honeycomb yoke and successfully programmed the buttons using the registered version of FSUIPC. But when I start an SFX SE flight with the default CRJ700, the following buttons are already activated on the VC control panel:

Speed Hold

Approach Hold

FD switch

Radio stack window

Spoilers activated

Landing Gear alarm sounds as that switch appears to be activated as well

This occurs even when the program is initially started; not just when I'm changing aircraft. None of the above switches are activated upon start-up when I use my SideWinder Precision 2 joystick. 

Whatever devices you have attached shouldn't make any difference to the initial state of the aircraft. FSUIPC only re-acts on changes, not the initial state of your devices buttons/switches. Did you try with your device disconnected? I suspect the problem would be the same.

If so, I would suspect that it is either related to the aircraft (do you use accusim or related software?), or software that you have installed for that device. I can't se how this can be anything to do with FSUIPC. Your logs don't even show this device - the only device FSUIPC sees is a 'SideWinder Precision 2 Joystick'.  You have a profile called 'Honecomb Yoke', but this is empty!

Maybe you have additional software installed for your Yoke that is taking control of this device?

John

If I create a CRJ700 flight with just my joystick connected, the plane loads fine with none of the buttons/switches I mentioned in my original post being activated.

If I create a CRJ700 with the joystick and Honeycomb yoke both connected, the buttons/switches are activated and the landing gear alarm sounds.

Then I tried this: I created a CRJ700 flight with just the joystick connected. The plane loaded fine without any buttons/switches activated. But as soon as I connected the yoke USB cable, the buttons/switches were activated and the landing gear alarm sounded.

BTW this problem occurs to varying degrees with other planes as well. 

Should I try Thomas' suggestion and re-enter all of the FSUIPC settings with FSX controllers disabled?

I do not use any accusim or related software.

I had to install drivers for the yoke which includes a simple GUI to configure the buttons & select profiles for planes.The reason I have an empty yoke profile is I found that some of the settings in the profiles supplied with the yoke were overriding the FSUIPC settings. So I created that empty yoke profile which solved that problem.

I assume that if I delete the drivers, the yoke probably won't work at all, correct?

29 minutes ago, Gregory_Douglas said:

Then I tried this: I created a CRJ700 flight with just the joystick connected. The plane loaded fine without any buttons/switches activated. But as soon as I connected the yoke USB cable, the buttons/switches were activated and the landing gear alarm sounded.

That reallt can only mean that the Honeycomb yoke (or more likely its software) is sending "on" signmals for its buttons even when you haven't pressed them or switched them on.

31 minutes ago, Gregory_Douglas said:

Should I try Thomas' suggestion and re-enter all of the FSUIPC settings with FSX controllers disabled?

Two things there:

1. John looked at your settings and you don't have any for that device.
2. you should ALWAYS disable controllers in FSX if you are making assignments in FSUIPC. it's one or the other, else you'll get conflicts.

33 minutes ago, Gregory_Douglas said:

I had to install drivers for the yoke which includes a simple GUI to configure the buttons & select profiles for planes.

That's where you need to look. I bet that's where the problem lies!

34 minutes ago, Gregory_Douglas said:

I assume that if I delete the drivers, the yoke probably won't work at all, correct?

If it is a standard USB joystick device (e.g. recognised as Windows as such -- look at Game Controllers) it needs no special driver. mostly those drivers are used for software which isn't very good at deciding how to use a device.

You might find it beneficial to uninstall their drivers.

Pete

On 7/4/2020 at 1:26 PM, Pete Dowson said:

You might find it beneficial to uninstall their drivers.

That did the trick. The drivers are not needed to operate the Honeycomb yoke. The drivers come with quite a few aircraft profiles but not much that I could use. Much better to not even install the drivers. From what I can tell, FSUIPC can do everything the drivers can do and more + better.

I'm trying to program one of the yoke toggle switches. The switch shows up on the panel of most FSX stock aircraft as a toggle switch labeled NAV on one side and GPS on the other. In the FSX control settings this switch is called "Nav 1/GPS toggle". I found a control in FSUIPC called "Toggle Gps Drives Nav1". When programmed to a button, this control toggles between NAV & GPS. I would like to program a yoke toggle switch so that one side activates "NAV" and the other side activates "GPS". What is the best way to do that?

10 hours ago, Gregory_Douglas said:

I found a control in FSUIPC called "Toggle Gps Drives Nav1". When programmed to a button, this control toggles between NAV & GPS. I would like to program a yoke toggle switch so that one side activates "NAV" and the other side activates "GPS". What is the best way to do that?

With any toggle control which you wish to use a latching switch instead of a button you need to look to see if there's an FSUIPC offset which will tell you the state. In this case there is -- this is the entry in the Offsets list (in your FSUIPC documents folder):

132C      4       NAV/GPS switch. 0=NAV, 1=GPS Ok

First assign both switch positions to that control. Then find the assignment lines in the settings file (FSUIPC4.INI) and edit them to make them conditional on the offset value. See the section ADDING OFFSET CONDITIONS in the Advanced users manual (page 27 or thereabouts).

Note that the simple alternative is simply to assign the switch to the same control in either position, and just make sure it's in sync with your panel when you start.

Pete