The simFlight Network Forums

E-Jets v3 - Control Issues

Ádám Balogh

Hello,

The v2 was very smooth, I really enjoyed hand flying it. However, v3 behaves very hectically. I have my null zone set to zero, but still I feel that I fly it with switches. For example, at takeoff, I slightly pull my yoke, and nothing happens. Then all of the sudden the nose jumps into the air. Landing is even worse: I cannot make smooth maneuvers because the plane does not nothing on my fine yoke inputs but banks suddenly after a point. Also, at landing around 10-20 feet I do not pull the yoke to let the plane land smoothly, but it simply reclimbs to 20-30 feet. I never made a nice and smooth landing using v3, only high bank, high touchdown rate landings far from the center line. Almost all my landings with v2 very smooth and very neer the center line.

There is an issue with the transition from ground handling to air handling and vice versa which has been reported several times previously without much response from FeelThere.

The rotation on takeoff results in varying degrees of 'jump', depending on weight and flap settings. The transition from descent through roundout to touchdown is also not realistic, with sudden changes in descent rate not connected with turbulence or  wind shear.   It often seems like a greatly exaggerated modelling of ground effect.

As the OP pointed out, these particular phases of flight were handled much better in v2.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Biggles2010 said:

There is an issue with the transition from ground handling to air handling and vice versa which has been reported several times previously without much response from FeelThere.

The rotation on takeoff results in varying degrees of 'jump', depending on weight and flap settings. The transition from descent through roundout to touchdown is also not realistic, with sudden changes in descent rate not connected with turbulence or  wind shear.   It often seems like a greatly exaggerated modelling of ground effect.

As the OP pointed out, these particular phases of flight were handled much better in v2.

Like I said before I agree with the takeoff issues but landing i think is fine.

36 minutes ago, FeelThere said:

Once SP2 will be out we will look into this too.

Thank you

Vic

Thank you Vic. Much appreciated.

5 hours ago, Matty260191 said:

Like I said before I agree with the takeoff issues but landing i think is fine

The effect on landing is certainly less exaggerated than on takeoff, but I could not really describe it as fine.

To be fair, I find the airborn handling when manual flying to be improved in v3  compared with v2. But takeoff and landing need some refinement.  

The takeoff jump can be largely avoided by using less nose up trim and starting rotation about 15 knots above the correct Vr, but this should not be necessary.

I find the transition from glidepath to landing is not as controllable as it should be, due to what I can only describe as unpredictable vertical motion, not due to weather effects.

Watching Ejet cockpit videos I see the real aircraft handling as I would expect, based on my past experience on medium and large military jets. Curiously the v2 Ejets handled takeoff and landing much better than v3. I note the v3 Ejets require much more positive trim on the glidepath compared with v2, and I think may exaggerate the transition from 'flying' to 'landing'.

Anyway hopefully this will be corrected at some point.

Interesting video. Thanks for posting.

I see you were using a flaps 4 takeoff at a low fuel weight, which seemed to give a fairly smooth liftoff at the correct speed. How have you found it with a flaps 2 takeoff, and possibly higher fuel weights?

The landing looked nicely controlled.  From your video it certainly looks like the A/T adjustments have had a positive effect. The throttle has a big impact on trim at low speed.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually it became worse. The control issues are still there, but now the autopilot does not work. It could not follow the VNAV path, throttle increased to above 90% N1 and the plane was sinking too slowly. Even worse, it began the descent for approach much before the glideslope. I had to take over early and made my worst landing in my life: -813 fpm and more than 5 degrees bank. I am not a perfect lander, but I cannot remember landing this plane below -400 fpm and v2 below -200 fpm. The current version is unflyable.

12 minutes ago, Ádám Balogh said:

Actually it became worse. The control issues are still there, but now the autopilot does not work. It could not follow the VNAV path, throttle increased to above 90% N1 and the plane was sinking too slowly. Even worse, it began the descent for approach much before the glideslope. I had to take over early and made my worst landing in my life: -813 fpm and more than 5 degrees bank. I am not a perfect lander, but I cannot remember landing this plane below -400 fpm and v2 below -200 fpm. The current version is unflyable.

your wrong dude.....not sure what is causing your issues but you one of the very few who claim its unflyable.

Why? Is it normal that the plane starts descent miles before reaching the glideslope? Is it normal that the plane does not decelerate on approach with idle thrust?

Anyway, I am flying for 17 years by now, and there were only a few planes I had problems with. I had no problems with E-Jets v2, they where very smooth. V3 jumps around, even autopilot cannot fly it smoothly on a windless approach, it pitches up and down, banks to the right and left. If I take it over in the wrong moment, the plane is out of the correct pitch and bank.

1 hour ago, Ádám Balogh said:

Why? Is it normal that the plane starts descent miles before reaching the glideslope? Is it normal that the plane does not decelerate on approach with idle thrust?

Anyway, I am flying for 17 years by now, and there were only a few planes I had problems with. I had no problems with E-Jets v2, they where very smooth. V3 jumps around, even autopilot cannot fly it smoothly on a windless approach, it pitches up and down, banks to the right and left. If I take it over in the wrong moment, the plane is out of the correct pitch and bank.

I honestly think the issues are unique to yourself as I know there were issues but nothing that drastic. 

SP2 is installed. In my first flight with it I was appraoching LYPG. The approach starts very low, about 1200 feet which is closer than 5 nm. That is why I set flaps to 5 and slowed to approach speed (Vref+5) before catching the GS. As soon as I reached that speed the plane started its descent and I got lots of "glideslope" aural warnings. Normally I catch glideslope around 160 knots and flaps 1 or 2. That works.