The simFlight Network Forums

FS2020 puase offset

mattia1513

Depends upon the pause mode used at present. 

There are 3 different styles of 'pause' in MSFS:
1. Active pause (default key: PAUSE): this is more like a lat/long/alt freeze - it freezes the plane, but the world moves on. Be careful when using this!
2. Sim pause (default key: ESC): takes you to the MSFS menus. Not really a pause, more of a temporary stop!
3. The real pause (no default key): this is the proper pause and is activated by the Pause On and Pause Off controls (no toggle)

The third one is the one that FSUIPC7 currently uses (as there is no way to detect the others at present). This pause mode also updates offset 0x0264 correctly.

I've checked offset 0x0262, and that works for pausing/unpausing (with the real pause).

For the time being, I'll mark offset 0264 as partially working, until we can get the pause state correctly from the other pause modes.

John

17 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

Did you assign a key or button to PAUSE ON, and use it? Or you could try PAUSE SET with parameter 1.

I am not sure PAUSE SET works. Best to use PAUSE ON and PAUSE OFF. You can also add offset conditions and overload, if using a key or a single press button/switch. Alternatively you could assign to 'Offset Word Set' to offset 0x0262, with a parameter of 1 to pause and 0 to unpause.

John

22 hours ago, mattia1513 said:

thanks for your reply, i hope that in the future any trype of pause can be recognized. We have a vitual airline and now if the pilots pause the simulator the acars continues to record the flight time

I should hope they would provide such facilities. I have posted in the 3rd party forums to ask about this.

I also noticed this:
It has been brought to my attention that time does tick on regardless of what kind of pause you use! If you use the REAL pause you will see the clock stop… but if you unpause you will see it jump forward in time! The same goes for the ESC pause…!  Just so you know. Nothing you can do about it, unfortunately. Doesn’t change the fact that the real pause and ESC should be used instead of Active pause.

So even the pause we can use doesn't work as it should!

John

• 3 weeks later...

hello Pete & John,
I just installed version 7.0.0-Beta> Build September 14, 2020, to take advantage of the changes concerning the 'Pause' Updates.
I notice that it still does not work for me: I only have 2 responses of the offset 0x264 => 0 or 4 for 'ESC' but no reaction regarding the Dynamic PAUSE ('Pause' key of FS2020) ,
Do you think this is normal?
Thank you beforehand,
Didier

7 minutes ago, Didier LAMANT said:

but no reaction regarding the Dynamic PAUSE ('Pause' key of FS2020) ,
Do you think this is normal?

Yes, I'm afraid so. That's the 'Active Pause' which still can't be detected.

You should switch to using one of the other pause controls - either Pause On/Pause Off, or Pause Set.

John

I develop ACARS software for a VA and we've had trouble with active pause as well. Our heuristic is basically, if the aircraft is moving according to the ground speed, but the coordinates are identical to the last tick, assume active pause is enabled. It's a bit naff but it works well enough. Hopefully we will eventually get a way to query this properly via SimConnect..

• 3 weeks later...

To add to the discussion/nightmare 😮

I'm also "trying" to determine the PAUSE states offset x264 (given the Active Pause can't be detected) and discovered the following, not sure if it's with FSUIPC or an Asobo problem, I'm guessing the latter;

Using the "P" keyboard pause, the value returned is 2 and this clears down to 0 when the Ctrl-"P" is seen. You get a "pause" and "un-pause" as expected.

Using the ESC-style pause, heading to the menus, the value returned is 4 and this clears down to 0 when the second ESC is seen. You get a "pause" and "un-pause" as expected.

So far, so good...

If you - in EITHER ORDER - use the "P" to pause and THEN use ESC to head to the menus, the value returned is 6, all well and good, HOWEVER, reversing either pause state in either order NEVER changes the value to 0 it remains at 6 "forever", until you return to the main menu and restart a flight. You do get a "pause"/"un-pause" in the sim but the value is stuck!

Tried in both the C170 and A320...

This is also for an ACARS-style program "BAVACARS", attempting to recognize pauses in flight, which we time-limit.

For now I'm using a position vs. speed, poor second choice method, to determine it, but at least THAT does handle the "Active Pause" into the bargain.

Not sure if this helps, if it's an FSUIPC issue or needs to pass to Asobo...

1 minute ago, John Dowson said:

@IanAbel I'll look into this tomorrow. This was working in the previous release, so looks like something must have changed in the recent update.

John, funny, that's what I thought!! I was SURE I'd got it all working as "expect" and was just doing a final test yesterday before a release of my ACARS when I discovered the problem. I'm betting on the last update 1.9.3.0  broke it

5 hours ago, John Dowson said:

@IanAbel Could you try the attached version where it should be working again. Offset 0x3365 should now also correctly reflect when the sim is in the menus:

FSUIPC7.exe 587.5 kB · 2 downloads

Seems like the pause is working correctly now, I'm not seeing the In Menu flag setting though. Both P the ESC result in 6 returned, then each are cleared down correctly.

Example: hit ESC get the "4" value, but then opening any menu such as General/Assistance/Controls  etc, doesn't seem to change the x3365 value... remains at zero.

12 minutes ago, IanAbel said:

Example: hit ESC get the "4" value, but then opening any menu such as General/Assistance/Controls  etc, doesn't seem to change the x3365 value... remains at zero.

No, the x3365 value only supports 'main menu', i.e. when you cancel the flight. In dialog menus are not currently supported - they will be accessible when in escape pause.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, would be nice. But this is also not the best pause state to use - the others are usually better. I don't know why this is the default 'Pause' in MSFS. Its not really a 'pause', but a lat/long/alt hold (or so it seams...).

To be honest, I'm not sure why folks are using this - better to remap and/or use the other pause controls.

John.