The simFlight Network Forums

Fuel pump high

szeliga90

Hi. I'm trying to find a FS control/Offset which would allow me to set Fuel pump to High in for example Beechcraft Baron G58. Currently I'm using offset x3125 but that unfortunately only switching between fuel pump off and fuel pump low. I also tried to open the FSUIPC7 console log and find out what event is triggered whenever I will change the switch position using mouse but unfortunately that doesn't detect any event. Is there any way at all to map a joystick button press to set Fuel pump to High or is that something currently missing?

@szeliga90 Based on the original MS spec, the control for the Fuel Pump is 66237. This turns on/off all fuel pumps (up to 4). The status of the Fuel Pump switch is indicated by offset 0x3104 (0 off/1 on). You can also use the offset 0x3125 to set the available pumps on/off (bit 0=pump 1, bit 1=pump 2, bit 3=pump 3, bit 4=pump 4).

There are also controls 66339-66343 that toggle the electrical fuel pumps (all/1/2/3/4). This has the same effect as above.

I can find no Fuel Pump High option and I don't have the B58 in my available aircraft to check. I suggest this setting is outside the defined offset/control range and relies on internal variables  (Lvars) not yet exposed through SimConnect.

@Scotfleiger Are you aware whether these Lvars are planned to be exposed in the way FSUIPC7 will be able to use them? If that would be the case is it possible to map them as easy as FS contols/Offsets or would it require something more complicated like lua scripts?

Also, the Beechcraft Bonanza G36 which I think is included with standard edition of MSFS has the same type of fuel pump switch. So if it's anything you could check and perhaps find out something more I would be very grateful. 

9 minutes ago, szeliga90 said:

@Scotfleiger Are you aware whether these Lvars are planned to be exposed in the way FSUIPC7 will be able to use them? If that would be the case is it possible to map them as easy as FS contols/Offsets or would it require something more complicated like lua scripts?

Also, the Beechcraft Bonanza G36 which I think is included with standard edition of MSFS has the same type of fuel pump switch. So if it's anything you could check and perhaps find out something more I would be very grateful. 

I am as much in the dark as you regarding Lvars and their inclusion in SimConnect. Normally, default aircraft do not use Lvars, only those from 3rd party developers like PMDG.

I will take a look at the G36.

@szeliga90 On the G36 the Aux Fuel Pump switch moves from off to high via low. This is the same when using the mouse or the control 66237. The offset 0x3125 goes from 0 to 1 (bit 1). If you look under Options/Controls, filter ALL and search for Fuel you will see those controls I mentioned before. We are limited to these at the moment.

• Thanks 1

@Scotfleiger Thank you for checking it. That is interesting but I'm getting different results. For me the Aux fuel pump is switching between off and low regardless of which control/offset I'm using. I tried <custom control> 66237, Offset Byte Set (to x01 on button press, to x00 on button released), Offset Byte Setbits/Clearbits to x01 on button press/release and the results are the same for all of them.

On top of that if I would manually switch the Aux fuel pump switch to high with the mouse and then try to use controls mentioned above they stop working at all and the switch just stay on high whether i would press the joystick button or release it.  Although FSUIPC console indicates that Event TOOGLE_ELECT_FUEL_PUMP1(for offsets)/FUEL_PUMP(for control) took place

25 minutes ago, szeliga90 said:

I tried <custom control> 66237

Why as a "custom control"? Isn't "FUEL PUMP" listed in the dropdown?  That's 66237.

Either way, it looks like they've not (yet) exposed the correct controls for this action. But before giving up for now, can you try assigning to FUEL PUMP but with parameters 0, 1, 2 (for off, low, high), just to see.

I will do some tests here. But probably this will need to go on the list to report to ASOBO. No point in doing so yet -- we need to collate the responses from all FSUUIPC7 users, test them all after the next update from ASOBO, then report any still outstanding.  However, when you look at how many panel operations for FX and P3D aircraft needed either Mouse Macros or L_Var access, I suspect many such things will need to wait until it is clear how those or their equivalents can be dealt with. Even if we had a module running within the MSFS process, AFAIK there's no way for it to connect with the outside (yet)!

Pete

I just tried "FUEL PUMP" control (I know its the same as custom control 66237 but as Scotfleiger mentioned specifically 66237 I though will call it like that to be clear that we are on the same page) with different parameters in G58 and regardless of the parameter provided control just toggle fuel pump state between off and low for both pumps.

If I set with mouse pump 1 to low and leave pump 2 as off, then regardless of the parameter provided pump 1 would change to off and pump 2 would change to low.

If one of the pumps would be set with mouse to high then only the other one will react to "FUEL PUMP" control again regardless of provided parameter

I can confirm this behavior:
   - FSUIPC offsets and the Fuel Pump control act as toggles between off/low
   - no parameter to the Fuel Pump control - this just acts as a toggle
   - FSUIPC correctly updates the fuel pump offsets when in off/low
   - manually setting the fuel pump(s) to high does not show any events/controls, and does not update the FSUIPC offsets
   - once the fuel pump(s) are set to high, the FSUIPC offsets and controls no longer have any affect

I will raise this with Asobo.

John

• Upvote 1

The B58 fuel pump hi/lo is fake. In high or low the pump is on, otherwise it is off. It also uses G:Vars (FSX 2D panel) which are not accessible to simconnect/fsuipc/lua. 
Visual status :

(A:General eng1 fuel pump switch,bool) 0 != d (G:Var1) ! * +

The click command :

(A:General eng1 fuel pump switch,bool) if{ (G:Var1) if{  0 (&gt;K:TOGGLE_ELECT_FUEL_PUMP1) } els{ 1 (&gt;G:Var1) } } els{ 0 (&gt;G:Var1) 0 (&gt;K:TOGGLE_ELECT_FUEL_PUMP1) }

The most confusing code i've ever seen!
"If OFF and G:Var is cleared, turn pump ON. If ON set G:Var (for visual HI). If ON and G:Var is true then clear G:Var, finally turn pump OFF " 

In FS2020 the code in the VC is most likely transposed from the above using L:Vars or S(SP)/L registers.
Probably just best to live with OFF/LOW.

Roman

• 3 years later...
On 8/28/2020 at 3:13 AM, John Dowson said:

I can confirm this behavior:
   - FSUIPC offsets and the Fuel Pump control act as toggles between off/low
   - no parameter to the Fuel Pump control - this just acts as a toggle
   - FSUIPC correctly updates the fuel pump offsets when in off/low
   - manually setting the fuel pump(s) to high does not show any events/controls, and does not update the FSUIPC offsets
   - once the fuel pump(s) are set to high, the FSUIPC offsets and controls no longer have any affect

I will raise this with Asobo.

John

@John Dowson, how did Asobo respond to your enquiry?

11 hours ago, David Wilkinson said:

how did Asobo respond to your enquiry?

This is a very old post - I have no idea, sorry. I probably didn't even raise this with them following Roman's post,

But things have changed a lot since this post. To control the fuel pump in the G58 (and G36) you can use the available presets and maybe there are also some Input Events for this (I haven't checked). You can also use both presets and Input Events via offsets.

John

9 hours ago, John Dowson said:

This is a very old post - I have no idea, sorry. I probably didn't even raise this with them following Roman's post,

But things have changed a lot since this post. To control the fuel pump in the G58 (and G36) you can use the available presets and maybe there are also some Input Events for this (I haven't checked). You can also use both presets and Input Events via offsets.

John

Yes John thanks.

I got it working.  Unfortunately in my naivety, years ago, I built my cockpit using all SPDT toggle switches so I only have the physical option of "Pump OFF" or "Pump HIGH".

Also, for the fuel pumps, electrical circuits 4 and 5 control whether the pumps have power.

“A:CIRCUIT SWITCH ON:4, bool”, and  “A:CIRCUIT SWITCH ON:5, bool”

So, for the left pump switch:

“Set LVAR:VAR_FUEL-SWITCH_PUMP_1 to #"; where # is the state of the switch. 0=Off, 1=Low, 2=High.'

and Set CIRCUIT_SWITCH_ON:4 to 1 (or 0 for off)

For the right pump switch:

Same as above except use “Set LVAR:VAR_FUEL-SWITCH_PUMP_2” and

for the electrical circuit use “Set CIRCUIT_SWITCH_ON:5 to 1” (or 0 as appropriate)

Regards

David

54 minutes ago, David Wilkinson said:

I got it working.

Ok, great.

55 minutes ago, David Wilkinson said:

Also, for the fuel pumps, electrical circuits 4 and 5 control whether the pumps have power.

“Set LVAR:VAR_FUEL-SWITCH_PUMP_1 to #"; where # is the state of the switch. 0=Off, 1=Low, 2=High.'

For the right pump switch:

Same as above except use “Set LVAR:VAR_FUEL-SWITCH_PUMP_2” and

for the electrical circuit use “Set CIRCUIT_SWITCH_ON:5 to 1” (or 0 as appropriate)

Ok, interesting. That looks different from the available presets. Maybe you can share your assignments (presets?) so that other users can use these - i.e. post your assignments here.

Regards,

John

That looks different from the available presets. Maybe you can share your assignments (presets?) so that other users can use these - i.e. post your assignments here.

Hello John, 

I couldn't find a way to do it in the FSUIPC7 User Interface (although I'm sure there is a way). But FSUIPC7 didn't expose the Lvars I shared above so I was stumped (which is what brought me to this conversation).

I am confident that you John, could though, by using the method you outlined to me in another post I put up on a different subject (Left & Right alternator switch assignments)

. . . . . . . define your own presets. Alternatively, you can add the lvars BKSQ_alternatorSwitch_R and BKSQ_alternatorSwitch_L to free/spare FSUIPC offsets and assign to the provided offset controls to set/clear the lvars via the offsets.

Of course, in the process, replacing the Alternator switch lvars with "LVAR_FUEL-SWITCH_PUMP_1" & "LVAR:VAR_FUEL-SWITCH_PUMP_2" and remembering to use the appropriate sim command "CIRCUIT_SWITCH_ON:4" or  "CIRCUIT_SWITCH_ON:5" as pre-conditions.

While searching around for a lead/tutorial on how to define custom presets and assigning spare FSUIPC offsets I accidentally discovered that SPAD.neXt does expose them from the "Online snippets" search.  I was able to download the settings directly into my switch configurations and it was done. 🙂

Now I am moving on to the same battle with the De-icing switches (Fuel Vent & Stall Warning) that do not seem to appear in any list anywhere.  So I will still be searching for some logical, unambiguous instructions about how to define presets etc as mentioned above.

8 hours ago, David Wilkinson said:

But FSUIPC7 didn't expose the Lvars I shared above

What do you mean by this? FSUIPC7 will give access to all lvars.

While searching around for a lead/tutorial on how to define custom presets and assigning spare FSUIPC offsets I accidentally discovered that SPAD.neXt does expose them from the "Online snippets" search.  I was able to download the settings directly into my switch configurations and it was done.

Please show me this "snippet" - it should be relatively straightforward to turn that into a preset.

Now I am moving on to the same battle with the De-icing switches (Fuel Vent & Stall Warning) that do not seem to appear in any list anywhere.  So I will still be searching for some logical, unambiguous instructions about how to define presets etc as mentioned above.

Are you using the Asobo G58? If so, there are presets for de-icing: G58 PROP DEICE ON and G58 PROP DEICE OFF, and there are several de-ice lvars that you can look at. Alss, look at the Input Events - there are these:
    DEICE_Pitot_1<;FLOAT64>
    DEICE_Propeller_1<;FLOAT64>
    DEICE_Windshield_1<>
    DEICE_Airframe_1<;FLOAT64>
    DEICE_Engine_1<>
Thee are also Input Events for the fuel pump you can try;
    FUEL_Pump_1<;FLOAT64>
    FUEL_Pump_2<;FLOAT64>

14 hours ago, David Wilkinson said:

But that lvar doesn't exist, at least not in the Asobo G58, so I don't know how this can possibly work.

I think you should be looking to use the Input Events for both the Fuel pump switches and the de-ice switches. I will take a look later (or tomorrow) to check these and see what values/parameters  you need to use.

On 3/24/2024 at 11:14 AM, John Dowson said:

I think you should be looking to use the Input Events for both the Fuel pump switches and the de-ice switches. I will take a look later (or tomorrow) to check these and see what values/parameters  you need to use.the de

I have checked these now (in the Asobo G58). The FUEL Pump 1 and FUEL Pump 2 input events work with a parameter of 2 for off, 1 for lo and 0 for high, The deice input events all work with a parameter of 1.0 for on and 0.0 for off.

John

4 hours ago, David Wilkinson said:

I am using the Black Square B58P. 

Ok, then you can use the presets
    G58 Fuel Boost Pump R Switch Off
    G58 Fuel Boost Pump R Switch Lo
    G58 Fuel Boost Pump R Switch Hi
I am not sure why there are not similar presets for the left pump, but you easily add these by adding the following to your myevents.txt file:

//Black Square/Baron G58/Fuel
G58_Fuel_Boost_Pump_L_Switch_Hi#1 (>A:CIRCUIT SWITCH ON:4, Bool) 2 (>L:var_FUEL_Switch_Pump_1, number)
G58_Fuel_Boost_Pump_L_Switch_Lo#1 (>A:CIRCUIT SWITCH ON:4, Bool) 1 (>L:var_FUEL_Switch_Pump_1, number)
G58_Fuel_Boost_Pump_L_Switch_Off#0 (>A:CIRCUIT SWITCH ON:4, Bool) 0 (>L:var_FUEL_Switch_Pump_1, number)

4 hours ago, David Wilkinson said:

I found that SPAD.neXt reads the aircraft's AnalogBaron.xml file and I just select the Lvar I want to use from a dropdown list.  Job done.

Maybe, but this is the FSUIPC support forums and therefore I need to show how this can be assigned in FSUIPC for other users who come across this, not how to assign this is using Spad.Next. Anything that you can assign in Spad.Next, you can also assign in FSUIPC.

John

22 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

. . .  this is the FSUIPC support forums and therefore I need to show how this can be assigned in FSUIPC for other users who come across this, not how to assign this is using Spad.Next. Anything that you can assign in Spad.Next, you can also assign in FSUIPC.

John

Yes John, I appreciate both aspects of what you say here, and whole heartedly agree.

I wasn't resisting you, or trying to push an alternative app, I was just responding to your questions and letting you know how I got it going.