The simFlight Network Forums

Confusing Installation

Doc_Z

I have FSUIPC 6 installed. If I make a FSUIPC7 folder, do I move everything from the 6 folder to the new one?  What do you mean about renaming the FSUIPC6.ini file?  Appears you want that renamed to FSUIPC7. ini, is that correct?  And I shuld move the conents of the earlier file -- LINDA, etc., to the new folder?

Hi,

there is no need to un-install any other FSUIPC installation as FSUIPC7 is only for MSFS 2020 but not for any other FS/ P3D. So you just create a new folder of your choice and place the files from FSUIPC7 into it. If you want to use a already setup of i.e. FSUIPC6 for P3Dv5 you can copy i.e. the FSUIPC6.ini file into that folder and rename it to FSUIPC7.ini, so FSUIPC7 will use this. Other content that will work with MSFS and was placed into your i.e. FSUIPC6 location can be copied into this folder as well. You will have to try if it already works correct.

Thomas

24 minutes ago, Doc_Z said:

In other words,  7 doesn't work for P3d. Leave 6 alone where it is. Only start 7 when I use MSFS?

Of course -- different versions of flight sim have needed different versions of FSUIPC. To expand on Thomas's list:

FSUIPC7 is for MSFS
FSUIPC6 is for P3D4 or P3D5
FSUIPC5 is for P3D4 (but no longer supplied)
FSUIPC4 is for FSX and P3D1-3
FSUIPC3 was for FS2004 and possibly before (no longer sold)
FSUIPC2 was for FS2002 but now defunct
FSUIPC1 was for FS98 and FS2000 also now defunct.

Pete

So I assume there is no longer a need for a modules folder per se, or if we want to use one for uniformity with previous FSUIPC installs, we should put FSUIPC7.exe, FSUIPC7.ini, FSUIPC7.key, and any Lua scripts, etc all in the modules folder and that should work.

Al

15 hours ago, ark1320 said:

So I assume there is no longer a need for a modules folder per se,

The need for the 'Modules' folder was removed in FSUIPC6 (although you can still install there if you prefer). These days, its better to install add-ons outside of the sim folders if possible. And I would certainly do this with MSFS as not only does the folder structure/locations seem quite complex, locations are different between MS Store vs Steam installations.

As Pete says, best just to create an FSUIPC7 folder somewhere outside of your sim folders.

John 

1 hour ago, John Dowson said:

As Pete says, best just to create an FSUIPC7 folder somewhere outside of your sim folders.

I did that, and simply put my modules folder in that FSUIPC7 folder.

I forgot to ask above, is there a particular version(s) of Simconnect that need to be run for FSUIPC7, or does that all happen 'automatically'? And if you are running Lua scripts automatically under [Auto, does it make any difference with FSUIPC7 if the sim or FSUIPC7 is started first?

Thanks,

Al

4 minutes ago, ark1320 said:

did that, and simply put my modules folder in that FSUIPC7 folder.

Ok, but you really don't need the modules folder, but up to you.

5 minutes ago, ark1320 said:

I forgot to ask above, is there a particular version(s) of Simconnect that need to be run for FSUIPC7, or does that all happen 'automatically'?

Its all automatic, you don't need to install (or "run"?!) any SimConnect.

John

1 hour ago, John Dowson said:

Its all automatic, you don't need to install (or "run"?!) any SimConnect

I'm in the middle of trying to get some of my Lua scripts working in MSFS. It looks initially to me that with FSUIPC7 you kept the same offset address/parameter associations as with previous versions of FSUIPC. Is that a pretty good assumption in most cases?

Also, I was looking at the color code you provided with the offset spreadsheet for FSUIPC7 ( thank you for that! ), but noticed some offsets are not color coded at all, just gray -- what does the gray mean?

Thanks,

Al

8 minutes ago, ark1320 said:

It looks initially to me that with FSUIPC7 you kept the same offset address/parameter associations as with previous versions of FSUIPC. Is that a pretty good assumption in most cases?

Yes, all offsets are maintained between versions and don't change, although maybe some new ones are added and others may not work.

9 minutes ago, ark1320 said:

but noticed some offsets are not color coded at all, just gray -- what does the gray mean?

It means the status is unknown/untested. Many (most hopefully) will work, I just haven't gotten around to verifying them yet.

4 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Yes, all offsets are maintained between versions and don't change, although maybe some new ones are added and others may not work.

It means the status is unknown/untested. Many (most hopefully) will work, I just haven't gotten around to verifying them yet.

John, Pete,  -- thanks so much for your continued outstanding support!!

Al