The simFlight Network Forums

airports.txt adding airports?

james143611

Hello all,

Trying out this scheduling stuff, not done one before but having a go at it, as I love doing timetables and schedules

I have backed up the original airports.txt on my desktop so I can use the one in the airports folder to have that as the current one for it to work with my schedule, as I needed to change Buenos Aires (EZE) from SABA to SAEZ.

Now, if there isn't an airport included I guess I can add one to use? I'm trying to add Cotswold Airport EGBP but as it's not in the .txt I'd need to add it, I assume these are custom and not 'hard coded' so to speak in that you can only use what's supplied?

If I could add one, I found the co-ordinates on a google search are 51.6705 N 2.0482 W, so going by the airports.txt format would I add it like this:

GBA COTSWOLD_AIRPORT_ENGLAND_UK                   51.67 N   2.04 W EGBP

Would that be right?

Any help appreciated!

James.

@james143611 Yes, you can add airports. The most important part is the format - if the format is wrong, the game won’t load.

In reality, the lat/lon is really not that important because if may or may not even be used. At most it is used determine the direction a plane might turn after departure. Although it appears to be in a degree decimal minute format, for everything I’ve looked up the existing values appear to represent degree and degree minutes. Logically that makes no sense, but I've given up trying to understand Nyerges Design. Nevertheless, it’s not that big of a deal because a precise number is inconsequential.

6 hours ago, crbascott said:

@james143611 Yes, you can add airports. The most important part is the format - if the format is wrong, the game won’t load.

In reality, the lat/lon is really not that important because if may or may not even be used. At most it is used determine the direction a plane might turn after departure. Although it appears to be in a degree decimal minute format, for everything I’ve looked up the existing values appear to represent degree and degree minutes. Logically that makes no sense, but I've given up trying to understand Nyerges Design. Nevertheless, it’s not that big of a deal because a precise number is inconsequential.

Ah thank you!

I did wonder if the lat/lon just determined its direction, I shall use that line as above, looks like the format is IATA code, airport name (using the _ as a space), Lat/Lon and the ICAO code.

Thanks for the help

James

The most important thing about the file format is the spacing. The game breaks up each line by column.

1         2         3         4         5         6         7
  AAA ANAA_FRENCH_POLYNESIA                     17.25 S 145.30 W NTGA 

3-5    IATA
7-45   NAME (not used)
48-EOL DATA

The data section is then split up by whitespace into geolat, geolat_dir, geolon, geolon_dir & icao.

The name is never used and can contain spaces.

The data the game provides for latitude and longitude is a mixture of decimal degrees and degree.minutes (sexagesimal degrees), however the game uses all of the values as if they were decimal degrees and uses great circle math to determine what heading a plane should fly after takeoff.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WildCard said:

The most important thing about the file format is the spacing. The game breaks up each line by column.

1         2         3         4         5         6         7
  AAA ANAA_FRENCH_POLYNESIA                     17.25 S 145.30 W NTGA 

3-5    IATA
7-45   NAME (not used)
48-EOL DATA

The data section is then split up by whitespace into geolat, geolat_dir, geolon, geolon_dir & icao.

The name is never used and can contain spaces.

The data the game provides for latitude and longitude is a mixture of decimal degrees and degree.minutes (sexagesimal degrees), however the game uses all of the values as if they were decimal degrees and uses great circle math to determine what heading a plane should fly after takeoff.

Thanks for confirming. 

• 3 weeks later...