The simFlight Network Forums

Parallel runways

KymriskaDraken

This is possibly more of a general question than a sim-specific one.

I know that there are restrictions on the use of parallel runways - they have to be 2000-odd feet apart - but what activities need to be separated?

For instance, at LAX I normally have landings on 24R and takeoffs from 25R. However, to reduce taxi times I would like to use 24L for departures from that side of the terminal. if I have landings on 24R does that mean that I can't use 24L for either arrivals or departures? Or, is it permitted to have a plane land on 24R and then clear a take-off from 24L once the landing plane has completed its landing roll and come to a stand?

Kev

2 hours ago, crbascott said:

At LAX you can use the inner runways (24L/25R) for departures without really worrying at all about the landing planes on the outer runways (24R/25L). No need to wait for them to come to a stop. 

That the real life setup for lax right 

EGLL -
They are supposed to be alternate, allowing for failed landing
In reality the two controllers (arrivals / departures) are sat beside next to each other
The departure controller then has to wait about 10 seconds from the aircraft landing before approving takeoff
The arrivals controller can then send a "green light" signal to the departure controller if they are busy talking to another aircraft, which the extinguishes after 15 seconds as the next aircraft may overlap

However in Tower 3D this is quite difficult to implement, as using this method the gap increases (using the Successful Landing method)

My method is as soon as the aircraft landing appears on the runway, I get the next aircraft to line up and I approve the lined up aircraft to takeoff
It is as close as you can get to real life and within the limits of Tower 3D

This excludes the rare occasions of dual arrivals and departures
Dual arrivals are (were prior to 2020) common before 09:00, 15:00 to 15:15 and between 16:30 and 18:30
The most useful is the runway swap at 15:00, and the best use of this is the swap from 27R to 27L, and aircraft Terminal 4 and cargo benefit from this resulting in dual departures