The simFlight Network Forums

Tower!3D KLAX Departure and Arrival Preferences

futureboy

In real life KLAX air traffic are the planes departing and arriving in a westerly direction (24L, 24R, 25L, 25R) or the easterly direction (6L, 6R, 7L, 7R).  Okay, so the answer is "It depends".  But other than that, that last time I was in LA, '86, the planes were arriving from over the ocean and departing over the city observing noise abatement rules of course.

What are other peoples personal preferences?

Thanks,
RickyJ

I like the variety available in both versions of Tower. I check Flightradar24 before I open any airport and use the same arrival and departure runways currently in use. There are a lot oi different combinations used due to various factors such as noise abatement, airport maintenance, and temporary runway obstructions. It keeps the game interesting. A minor runway assignment change can really change taxi patterns.

1 hour ago, GKibby said:

I like the variety available in both versions of Tower. I check Flightradar24 before I open any airport and use the same arrival and departure runways currently in use. There are a lot oi different combinations used due to various factors such as noise abatement, airport maintenance, and temporary runway obstructions. It keeps the game interesting. A minor runway assignment change can really change taxi patterns.

Strongly agreed.  I do the same myself.  Likewise, with each new airport, I do some googling about its runway and taxiway utilization patterns to get an idea of how things there are handled.  For some airports, this is much harder to come by than for others (discussion forums can be helpful if this is the case).  Even just watching airport documentaries and Youtube videos by spotters can often reveal useful info.

It is 1645 hours EDT on Saturday, 9/17/16. LAX is a perfect example of a different ground traffic pattern. Runway 24L appears to be closed. Arrivals are still using 24R & 25L but all departures are on 25R. All departures from the North side taxi past the South terminal and add to the normal congestion. The lineup for takeoff is really long!