The simFlight Network Forums

One bug and a suggestion

PilatusPilot32

First of all kudos to the developers!  As both a pilot and a software developer, I can definitely appreciate the intricacies of creating a product like this.  You've done a fantastic job, and the voice recognition is superb.  

First, one bug that I've noticed:  Aircraft landing on runway 25L at LAX that exit on the first taxiway (H1), when instructed to taxi (no matter how .. via H, via H1 H) always turn around and go back out onto the runway then down taxiway gulf.  Unless there is adequate separation with landing traffic, I usually just delete the planes that exit on H1.

Now, a suggestion:  At LAX, the crossing taxiways between B and C (C1, C2, C3, C4, C5...) (and all other airports with short crossing taxiways) are not depicted in any way (even when zooming in).  If they are actually in the game (I have not tested), it would be useful to depict them as it would be nice to issue "HOLD SHORT" commands using these taxiways.

Now for the only thing that needs an upgrade/fix:

Your taxi instructions need to be able to include a "CROSS RUNWAY XXX" so that aircraft do not stop on their taxi route.  For instance, when an aircraft lands on runway 25L at LAX, you need to be able to issue an instruction that says "AMERICAN 859 TAXI TO TERMINAL VIA H P C CROSS RUNWAY 25R" so that the aircraft does not stop.  Having to tell an aircraft to "CONTINUE TAXI" only once they are close to the runway isn't correct and wastes time.

That one fix would be huge, and the other commands that would help, or make the simulation more realistic would be:

1.  A standalone "CROSS RUNWAY" command (to replace continue taxi) that can be issued at any point during the taxi.  "AMERICAN 859 CROSS RUNWAY 25R" 

2.  Also, if you're making it more realistic, with the "CROSS RUNWAY" commands you should add a "HOLD SHORT OF RUNWAY" command.

Again though, you guys have done a fantastic job on this simulation/game, and I look forward to seeing some updates come out!

PilatusPilot32

8 hours ago, PilatusPilot32 said:

First of all kudos to the developers!  As both a pilot and a software developer, I can definitely appreciate the intricacies of creating a product like this.  You've done a fantastic job, and the voice recognition is superb.  

First, one bug that I've noticed:  Aircraft landing on runway 25L at LAX that exit on the first taxiway (H1), when instructed to taxi (no matter how .. via H, via H1 H) always turn around and go back out onto the runway then down taxiway gulf.  Unless there is adequate separation with landing traffic, I usually just delete the planes that exit on H1.

Now, a suggestion:  At LAX, the crossing taxiways between B and C (C1, C2, C3, C4, C5...) (and all other airports with short crossing taxiways) are not depicted in any way (even when zooming in).  If they are actually in the game (I have not tested), it would be useful to depict them as it would be nice to issue "HOLD SHORT" commands using these taxiways.

Two items that should help you out.....

For the H1 -- It's not a bug, it's direction.  I've included the screen cap of H1 at LAX and the nearby G taxiway on the left.  H1 permits taxi eastbound towards 25R.  The nearby G taxiway is basiscally at 90degrees to all other routes that meet it so it allows turns to the right or left to go on H as needed.   Easy to remember -- H1 is built as a highspeed for 7R (i.e. why it's shape is similar to H3 which is also a eastbound taxi only as well.)  So any smaller jets such as (Skywest, BUG, Lakes Air, etc) that get off on H1 you need to issue them a taxi for H - J - B - (then whatever subsequent) to get them to the terminal.  Remember, H ends and J gets picked up, so if you only tell it H, the system says "well great, you want H, but H can't go left, so where next?"  You don't need to give H1 to get the plane going when they're already on H1 at that point .

To pair this with your 2nd question, go here :  http://www.airnav.com/airport/KLAX  Down the right side is the Airport Diagram (pdf).  Highly recommend saving the link to the page as the ground chart gets updated.  Print it out or put it on your second monitor when you play the game.  Easy to reference when you need to make a callout that is not listed.  laxground.thumb.png.10df1c9bb292e53a8a1900e31501d753.png

19 hours ago, ATControl -- Joe said:

Two items that should help you out.....

For the H1 -- It's not a bug, it's direction.  I've included the screen cap of H1 at LAX and the nearby G taxiway on the left.  H1 permits taxi eastbound towards 25R.  The nearby G taxiway is basiscally at 90degrees to all other routes that meet it so it allows turns to the right or left to go on H as needed.   Easy to remember -- H1 is built as a highspeed for 7R (i.e. why it's shape is similar to H3 which is also a eastbound taxi only as well.)  So any smaller jets such as (Skywest, BUG, Lakes Air, etc) that get off on H1 you need to issue them a taxi for H - J - B - (then whatever subsequent) to get them to the terminal.  Remember, H ends and J gets picked up, so if you only tell it H, the system says "well great, you want H, but H can't go left, so where next?"  You don't need to give H1 to get the plane going when they're already on H1 at that point .

To pair this with your 2nd question, go here :  http://www.airnav.com/airport/KLAX  Down the right side is the Airport Diagram (pdf).  Highly recommend saving the link to the page as the ground chart gets updated.  Print it out or put it on your second monitor when you play the game.  Easy to reference when you need to make a callout that is not listed.  

Joe,

Thanks for your input!  I already have all of the taxi diagrams.  It was merely a suggestion that they be displayed in the game.

As for the bug with traffic exiting on H1 (this is happening landing on 26R and making the sharp turn onto H1), there is no reason why traffic cannot move westbound on taxiway H from the high speed taxiway.  This happens in real life and happens at other high speed taxiways in the game.

At any rate, no matter if they can or can't, no taxi instructions should ever result in the aircraft taxiing back out onto the runway (this was the bug I was reporting) without your express permission to do so.

Keep up the good work guys!

43 minutes ago, PilatusPilot32 said:

Joe,

Thanks for your input!  I already have all of the taxi diagrams.  It was merely a suggestion that they be displayed in the game.

As for the bug with traffic exiting on H1 (this is happening landing on 26R and making the sharp turn onto H1), there is no reason why traffic cannot move westbound on taxiway H from the high speed taxiway.  This happens in real life and happens at other high speed taxiways in the game.

At any rate, no matter if they can or can't, no taxi instructions should ever result in the aircraft taxiing back out onto the runway without your express permission to do so.

Keep up the good work guys!

I assume you mean 25L. I assume these are smaller planes exiting here. You can always issue an EXIT AT TAXIWAY or VACATE RUNWAY command to have them exit farther down - which is probably more realistic anyway.

1 hour ago, crbascott said:

I assume you mean 25L. I assume these are smaller planes exiting here. You can always issue an EXIT AT TAXIWAY or VACATE RUNWAY command to have them exit farther down - which is probably more realistic anyway.

You are correct, I meant 25L.  I have since started using the EXIT and VACATE commands, but when it's really busy you don't always have time to issue those.

Maybe something as simple as having aircraft be smart enough not to make 130 degree turns on to high speed taxiways when exiting on there own would probably be a good idea :-)

• 3 months later...

I was trying a new route to the apron to avoid runway 25R holdings.  Wanted to send aircraft down H to B16 and around to C but that section of H between B16 and T does not register.  Every direction routes around that one section.  Was that missed when labeling all H sections?  Is there a fix?