The simFlight Network Forums

Tower 3d Pro - KLAX North (24L & 24R) Schedule

Pedantic G

Looking to build a 24hr schedule to run KLAX as the Northern runway controller just dealing with Runways 24R and 24L. Is there a quick way to get a download of the flights/aircraft used on a specific day anywhere rather than sift through flightaware/flight radar etc or watch the live streams?

Has anyone done this already and would be willing to share for me to adapt?

Gary

2 hours ago, gazza2868_UK said:

Looking to build a 24hr schedule to run KLAX as the Northern runway controller just dealing with Runways 24R and 24L. Is there a quick way to get a download of the flights/aircraft used on a specific day anywhere rather than sift through flightaware/flight radar etc or watch the live streams?

Gary

No flight tracking websites offer anything close to what you want.

2 hours ago, gazza2868_UK said:

Gary

Gary,

I think you are familiar with the challenges I've created for Tower_MP. I used a combination of FlightAware and LiveATC to to determine the exact runway used in real life. It is very time consuming and this is just for a one-to-two hour schedule. It is much easier to build a "normal" custom full day schedule. 

And if you want to be realistic, you have departures and arrivals on 24L/24R that begin/end on the South side. Not sure how you plan to deal with that, but no matter what it is going to take some effort.

Craig 

Thanks Craig & Joe,

Thought as much. Was just thinking of doing something a little different for a change and trying something out. Appreciate your comment Craig that you have departures and arrivals on 24L/24R that begin/end on the South side which would add a little ground traffic work as well for a challenge. 

May bite the bullet when I have a couple of hours free to watch live traffic and flight radar etc and take copious amount of notes and build something for punishment and test it out.

I did something similar for KDFW/Tower!2011 because trying to handle the entire airport with full traffic was pretty much impossible for me. Plus being my "home" airport I wanted it to be realistic  instead of north/south though KDFW is split east/west. And I know for a fact that where planes park has little to do with where they depart/arrive (especially during busy periods).

I would start with a full custom schedule then split the schedule based on departing/arriving airport as 95%+ of departures to the western airports departed from the west side and vice versa. I did do a little research for departures that were primarily straight north/south.  

So, if I wanted to just control the west side I knew that I would still have to handle some taxiing on the east side.  

I'm hoping in the next version FT will add the ability to control more granular positions which would make multiplayer even more fun/realistic. But for those people who prefer single player, maybe add some AI to handle the positions not being controlled by the player. 

• Like 1

Thanks Craig,

Was looking at taking a full schedule and doing just that for the north/south split, basically drawing a line across the US and departing northern states flights from 24L (ie Northern Cal, Colorado, Illinois, Alaska etc) and ignoring the southern states, LATAM etc. Need to work out the International ones and from memory I recall seeing something (I think it was your notes on the LAX challenge) that all A380's and A340's have to depart from 24L due to wing span issues for 25R taxiing?

Was watching the live feed earlier today and it seems to follow this pattern for departures but arrivals are a bit all over the place to be honest and also there were a few Mexico and Florida bound flights leaving from 24L.

Like you, I find the bigger airports (LAX, JFK etc) a real challenge to keep on top of in single player mode (really must bite the bullet and work out how to set up the multiplayer function and give it a go) but being from the UK time differences may be an issue.

It's not all about the volume of traffic for me, as sadly I do like to sit back and actually watch the planes and the variation of liveries etc on the ground moving around the airport sometimes and really hope in the next version of Tower 3D  Pro that the graphics can be made better but kudos to the developers who do listen to feedback and seem to take on board all the forum comments. In the six months I have had the game there have been some vast improvements in game play and with the new Munich airport some more liveries to watch. As a Brit really looking forward to the promised UK airport soon (VIC!), whatever it will be!

As an aside, I did a couple of hours today on LAX using 24L & 24R and setting the traffic density at 60% which gave an average of 45 odd movements per hour which was quite manageable and enjoyable to operate singularly. Not totally realistic but was still a challenge in getting the southerly terminal flights to and from the runways.

G

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Daemien67 said:

Interesting idea Gazza, My dad is a United Pilot based out of LAX and so I've been interesting in doing a similar thing but for LAX South ground/Tower.

Daemein,

Not had time to build the schedule yet due to other demands but try running LAX using 25R for departures and 25L for arrivals (you can try and sneak some departures on 25L if you get the space as well!) and set the density to around 60-65% to get a feel for running the South Tower/Ground scenario. Not strictly to how it runs but can be enjoyable and still demanding in single player mode, especially if running one of the customs schedules from ATControl Joe, Craig Scott etc

G

On 5/10/2018 at 3:28 PM, ATControl -- Joe said:

No flight tracking websites offer anything close to what you want.

Funny how I read what Gazza was asking for completely different. Not a schedule that routes all traffic in the airport to 24R/L, but a schedule that removes all traffic from other runways in favor of just focusing on the real traffic that occurs in a given day for a specific set of runways. I imagine you could just cut that out of the data so that you only get arrivals and gate departures that end up on 24R/L.

This would simulate being the N ramp/ground/Tower controller while ignoring south traffic