The simFlight Network Forums

Random Voices

BillA

Hi all, Im still on Win 7 and have tower3D Pro. I have installed many extra voices from microsoft:

MSSpeech_TTS_en-AU_Hayley.msi

MSSpeech_TTS_en-CA_Heather.msi

MSSpeech_TTS_en-GB_Hazel.msi

They work just fine when I test them out with the windows narrator test, but how do I get tower3D to randomly choose different voices per callout? Ive seen many youtube videos with different voices per callout.

Thanks in advance..

3 minutes ago, BillA said:

I've seen many youtube videos with different voices per callout.

Different voices or same voices at different pitches/speeds?

if the former, then you are probably watching someone who is using a modified version with features that are only available to him. If the latter, these can be adjusted in the game settings.

I have mine set to different pitches and for speed kept it n fast, since random would put some really slow call outs. For random voices, yes I have seen videos of males and females and also with different pitches...now I can only choose female on my since the male voice only says Blah Blah Blah

how can I get the male voice?

I looked into this back when I bought the game and if I recall its Windows 7.  When you get to windows 10 the default speech has multiple voices to pick from and can do so randomly.  Its been almost two years since I looked into it so I may be recalling incorrectly but that was what I recall being the situation. 

7 hours ago, Ripskin said:

I looked into this back when I bought the game and if I recall its Windows 7.  When you get to windows 10 the default speech has multiple voices to pick from and can do so randomly.  Its been almost two years since I looked into it so I may be recalling incorrectly but that was what I recall being the situation. 

Yes, I think you are right and it's a limitation of Win7. Those that are running 10 have the advantage of multiple voices when using Tower 3D.

Thanks

So you are saying that in win 7 I could use both a male and female? I have tried everything on the net but no matter what I still get a blah blah on the male. Maybe I dont have the male voice installed on Win 7 but I dont know how to get it if its even out there. Any help please?

I don't have any Win 7 computers here that I can test on, so i can't be 100% sure how microsoft has changed how the speech engine now works on those computers. However, if the female voice is working correctly and the male voice isn't, then there is something wrong with how windows has the voices set up. ie. if the game wasn't sending the correct information, then both voices would be broken.

If you post your speech.log file, I'll have a look and see if there is some indication of what is going wrong. To make the file easier to work with (and smaller), first delete the existing speech.log file (a new one will get created), start the game and set the voice to male, load an airport and let at least one plane say "blah blah blah", then stop the game and post the log file.

Ok, these are the voices that it recognises as being installed:

Installed voices:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
idx: 0 enabled: True
 Microsoft Anna, Microsoft Anna - English (United States)
 id: MS-Anna-1033-20-DSK
idx: 1 enabled: True
 Microsoft Mary, Microsoft Mary
 id: MSMary
idx: 2 enabled: True
 Microsoft Mike, Microsoft Mike
 id: MSMike
idx: 3 enabled: True
 SampleTTSVoice, Sample TTS Voice
 id: SampleTTSVoice

Anna is from Win 7, so that is why the female voice works.
Mary and Mike are from Win XP, so the TTS engine will most likely reject these.

SampleTTSVoice is the bad male voice.

Sample TTS voice was probably a text-to-speech voice designed to demonstrate the difference between fully-recorded words (how he was made) and phonetics-mixing (how Microsoft Sam and all other TTS voices were made). So because of this, whatever word is not in his dictionary he'll pronounce as "blah" (example: "Hello, my name is Sample TTS voice!" will be pronounced as "Blah blah blah blah Sample TTS voice.").

I did some research. Microsoft never released a male voice for Win 7 and I couldn't find any free ones either.

If you wanted to try and see if "Microsoft Mike" does work, then you'll need to edit window's registry, not recommended unless you know what you are doing. Sorry, if I had a computer with Win 7 on it, then I would have been able to make a file to remove them for you.
The two keys that would need to be deleted would be the SampleTTS keys in both:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech\Voices\Tokens\
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Speech\Voices\Tokens\

Otherwise, unfortunately, there may be no working male voices for Win 7.

@BillA Could you run this batch file and post the 2 files it creates ("Voices1.reg" & "Voices2.reg") that it creates. The 2 files will be in the same folder that the batch file is run from.

I should then be able to create a registry file to remove the SampleTTS voice. You never know, this might also allow "Microsoft Mike" to work as the male voice.

Cheers,
Daniel

P.S. After downloading, right-click the file, select properties and see if there is a 'Unblock' checkbox near the bottom right-hand corner. If there is, tick it and click ok.

Extract Voices Win 7.bat

the batch file does not create any folders? I dont see 2 files, I had it on the desktop and then moved it into a the Tower3D folder and tried there..

I know I dont see a Mike to choose from for example the narration menu in win 7, I do see a Maria which is what its using. 

Whoops, sorry, files will be created where "regedit" is. So that means they will probably be in "C:\Windows\System32".

Updated the batch file in previous post to create them in "C:\" (root folder of C Drive) if you don't want to go looking for them. 🙂

This should get rid of the "blah blah blah" voice.

It also looks like this is installed by "Microsoft Speech SDK 5.1", so you could also remove it by uninstalling that. You only need that SDK (Software Development Kit) if you are developing software that uses that microsoft feature. The same goes for any other SDKs.

I'm not sure if you will get the male voice or if it will fall back to using a female voice. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Daniel

Remove Sample TTS Voice.reg

Ok, I removed the Microsoft Speech SDK 5.1 and did the reg file you provided. Now when I go to tower and choose male I get the same female voice of Maria that is used when I choose female.

Its like I  need to install the male voice in win 7

Yes, you need to install a male voice for male voices. I was hoping that the MS Mike one (that is shown in your log file) would work, but it looks like it is too old and the speech synthesizer is rejecting it (the one in Win10 rejects all of the Win7 ones). However...

On 8/18/2020 at 9:37 AM, WildCard said:

Microsoft never released a male voice for Win 7 and I couldn't find any free ones either.

So it does look like you might be stuck with only a female voice, but at least you'll be able to understand what she is saying. 🙂