The simFlight Network Forums

Developing with FSUIPC7

earthdog

Although the SDK is far from complete, i want to take a look and explore the development capabilities that i have with MSFS using FSUIPC.

What are the ways that i can develop apps?

I can understand that using the .NET DLL is an option. Is there anything else? LUA? or something else?

Thank you.

You can use Lua as plugins to FSUIPC7, but not  for stand-alone applications. For external/stand-alone applications, we provide the 64-bit external user kit for C/C++. There are a variety of other SDKs built on this, for .net, java, C, Delphi, Python, Visual Basic, etc. They should all work with FSUIPC7. See 

The SDK there is a bit old and needs updating, but should still be valid. I'll add the latest FSUIPC6 SDK at some point.

There is also a new java SDK (32-bit and 64-bit) which was kindly provided a week or so ago, that is more efficient than the current version. I'll add that to the SDK shortly.

John

Also, there is extensive documentation on FSUIPC's Lua interface. You can download this (for FSUIPC4) here: 

I will be adding the FSUIPC5/6 documentation to that page shortly (next few days), which is more up-to-date, although some facilities (e.g. mouse related functions) won't be working in FSUIPC7.

John

Thanks for the plethora of info. So if my platform/tool of choice is .NET and C# (managed) my only choice would be the .net dll?

I dont write in C++ to get advantage of the C++ 64bit lib.

EDIT: I just saw the examples in FSUIPC SDK and i saw that including the fsuipc.cs enables me to work with C#. Is this relevant to new MSFS? And what are the differences in using the .NET Client DLL?

34 minutes ago, earthdog said:

And what are the differences in using the .NET Client DLL?

The .NET DLL from Paul Henty would be a much smoother way to go. There are lots of functions for doing all the common things (as far as I understand from browsing other folks posts -- i only program in C/C++).

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, earthdog said:

i saw that including the fsuipc.cs enables me to work with C#. Is this relevant to new MSFS? And what are the differences in using the .NET Client DLL?

As Pete says, you should really try Paul Henty's .net dll client first. Its more modern and kept up-to-date by Paul, and has already been updated to work with MSFS. Please see https://forum.simflight.com/forum/167-fsuipc-client-dll-for-net/

You can try the fsuipc.cs method if you prefer. However, I've never used/looked at this and don't know if it will be working with FSUIPC7/MSFS.

John

10 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

As Pete says, you should really try Paul Henty's .net dll client first. Its more modern and kept up-to-date by Paul, and has already been updated to work with MSFS. Please see https://forum.simflight.com/forum/167-fsuipc-client-dll-for-net/

You can try the fsuipc.cs method if you prefer. However, I've never used/looked at this and don't know if it will be working with FSUIPC7/MSFS.

John

I just did, downloaded with Visual Studio project and i am connected to MSFS...I will go this way for now..I will leave C++ for gauges (if i need to work with one)... thanks.

3 hours ago, earthdog said:

I just did, downloaded with Visual Studio project and i am connected to MSFS...I will go this way for now..I will leave C++ for gauges (if i need to work with one)... thanks.

I don't think C++ is a .Net language. The .Net languages are the managed ones like C#. As John says, Paul's DLL does offer advantages when using such languages.

ete

8 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

I don't think C++ is a .Net language. The .Net languages are the managed ones like C#. As John says, Paul's DLL does offer advantages when using such languages.

ete

Of course it isn;t...I ment using VIsual Studio and native simconnect...

55 minutes ago, FredoFrance said:

Hi Pete, i just downloaded the latest FSUIPC7 (25/8). But i still got those lags/chops.

Is there are fix you are working on ?

Or is it something elses i need to download ?

Please see 

Also, please do not post in an unrelated topic. And check this sub-forum first to see if your issue has already been reported.

John

On 8/25/2020 at 4:46 PM, John Dowson said:

You can use Lua as plugins to FSUIPC7, but not  for stand-alone applications.

I thought FSUIPC7 was currently only this beta stand-alone application, so I don't quite understand what you mean by that? Can I use Lua as it is now or not?

4 minutes ago, Firefly said:

I thought FSUIPC7 was currently only this beta stand-alone application, so I don't quite understand what you mean by that? Can I use Lua as it is now or not?

FSUIPC's support for Lua is for plug-ins -- i.e. Lua programs being executed by FSUIPC and using libraries provided by FSUIPC. That's exactly the same in FSUIPC7.EXE as it is in FSUIPC6.DLL. The fact that FSUIPC7 is an EXE instead of a DLL doesn't affect this at all.

If you want to use the Lua language separately, nothing to do with FSUIPC, then of course you can do -- you'd need the Lua compiler or interpreter (see lua.org).

Pete

1 hour ago, Firefly said:
On 8/25/2020 at 4:46 PM, John Dowson said:

You can use Lua as plugins to FSUIPC7, but not  for stand-alone applications.

Adding to what Pete has said, I meant that you can use lua plugins in fsuipc7, but if you are using a lua stand-alone application (i.e. not ran as an FSUIPC plugin) then you would have no access to the lua libraries provided by FSUIPC to talk to the sim. The specific libraries provided by fSUIPC are only available for FSUIPC plugin scripts, not lua stand-alone applications.

• Like 1