The simFlight Network Forums

Starting FS2020

hvw

Hi Pete and John,

Wondering if it would be possible to fire up FS2020 from within FSUIPC7? I guess that most probably a RUNIF would accomplish that but then one would have to know the location of the fs2020 executable file. So far I wasn't able to find it. So I am thinking about a possibility to add a feature in FSUIPC that will start FS2020 by, for example, hitting a button.Just wondering 🙂

Thanks,

Hans

Hi Hans,

an interesting idea. It should really be the other way around, with FSUIPC7 starting automatically with MSFS, as it does for other FS versions. However, this will only be done once I've written the installer AND we know how to do this. I haven't seen how this can be achieved at the moment and am waiting for details on this from Asobo.

There are also complications due to the different installation processes using Steam and MS Store. But I'll keep this in mind.

Thanks for the suggestion.

John

Thanks John, yes of course it should be the other way around, I agree 100% with you, but I came to think about this because I start up FS2020 multiple times per day (as I do P3D). After I started up FS2020 I am being woken up by the fact that my throttles aren't working (they are assigned in fsuipc) and that I, for the umpiest time, forgot to run FSUIPC7 first :). Would it be possible to make FSUIPC stay resident after shutting down FS2020 then?

2 minutes ago, hvw said:

Would it be possible to make FSUIPC stay resident after shutting down FS2020 then?

Yes. Just uncheck the "Exit with FS" setting in the Options menu.

BTW I run MSFS with a "fastload" option, to bypass a load of the advertising stuff at the beginning. The desktop shortcut for this on my MS Store -installed installation is:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App -FastLaunch

in other words, using the Windows shell. I can't find a more direct shortcut.
I've not tried the above in a "RunIf" line and currently I'm not sure where the "" need to go -- but it will need some because there are spaces. You'l have to experiment.

Pete

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Actually, I've just tried a few combinations and can't get any to work at present. 

Pete

Same here. But I will try a few more attempts later.

The cmd in windows shell works great. (For your information, I have the DVD version of FS2020. I pre-ordered the MS version but all download attempts failed. MS was kind enough to grant me a refund and hence I bought the disk version. Now anxiously waiting for PMDG to release the 737). (Yes, I know, not relevant to this subject, I just couldn't resist). 

Hans

I've been using a Batch file to start MSFS -FastLaunch) and FSUIPC simultaneously. Works great so far. Tried sneaking an exe.xml file in location with no results. File locations may be different.

@echo offcd
start L:\FSUIPC7\FSUIPC7.exe
start C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App -FastLaunch

exit

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Torkermax123 said:

start L:\FSUIPC7\FSUIPC7.exe
start C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App -FastLaunch

No need for calling cmd.exe, calling start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App -FastLaunch is sufficient.
Also when you have spaces you need to quote and then the start command needs an extra quoted parameter, like start "" "G:\Flight Simulator\FSUIPC7\FSUIPC7.exe".

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jaxx said:

No need for calling cmd.exe, calling start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App -FastLaunch is sufficient.
Also when you have spaces you need to quote and then the start command needs an extra quoted parameter, like start "" "G:\Flight Simulator\FSUIPC7\FSUIPC7.exe".

Useful. thank you!

Pete

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

Actually, I've just tried a few combinations and can't get any to work at present. 

Pete

I use process.start in VB.NET and it does start MSFS, however for some reason it does not close MSFS via the process ID. Don't know if this helps but here ya go:

Dim  ClientProcess as process

Dim MSFS_Path as string = "shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App"

Dim myStartInfo As ProcessStartInfo = New ProcessStartInfo With {
            .FileName = MSFS_Path,
            .WorkingDirectory = System.IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(MSFS_Path),
            .Arguments = "-FastLaunch"
            }
        Try
            ClientProcess = Process.Start(myStartInfo)
        Catch ex As Exception
            Logger.Log(ex.Message)
        End Try

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jaxx said:

Thanks a lot, works like a charm 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Billy_Biggles said:

This works

start G:\FSUIPC7\FSUIPC7\FSUIPC7.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe /C start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App -FastLaunch 

Yes, but as noted above, no need for calling cmd.exe, calling start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App -FastLaunch is sufficient.

• Like 1