The simFlight Network Forums

T3D Pro: performance questions/running slow

CL30

Maybe some of you computer wizards can help a non-wizard out!  So, I can run TIST/LAX/PHL on max settings just fine on Tower 3D Pro, but ATL I can only run at night as it bogs down way too much.  As a result, I've tried lowering the graphics to the lowest levels and can still only run ATL smoothly at night.  

However, last night I installed RealTraffic and now it bogs down at night as well making it almost unplayable.  Maybe I need to delete RT...? 

My 'puter exceeds the min specs, but maybe it's just not beefy enough to run the beauty of these add-ons??

• Win 10 64bit
  • i7 - 6500 @ 2.50 GHz
  • 12GB RAM
  • GeForce 940M (2GB, I believe)
  • Running SP2 on T3D Pro

This is very disheartening. My primary specs are lower, but nothing to sneeze at ( I7 4th generation and Nvidia 870 3GB and 16GB Ram - aachoo) and I thought it was me, but with near bleeding edge, 6th generation I7 ( 7th generation is out) and 940M (albeit mobile graphics chip) GeForce 1080 is out with the 2080 on the horizon. Kind of makes me want to question what the developers and testers are running.

As far as maximum versus minimum settings for KATL go, I have not seen a difference in frame rate. I will get between 6fps at the slowest when the tower view is to the West and 32fps at the fastest when the tower view is to the East.  I always get a 60fps frame rate when sitting inside the cockpit.

RickyJ

46 minutes ago, futureboy said:

This is very disheartening. My primary specs are lower, but nothing to sneeze at ( I7 4th generation and Nvidia 870 3GB and 16GB Ram - aachoo) and I thought it was me, but with near bleeding edge, 6th generation I7 ( 7th generation is out) and 940M (albeit mobile graphics chip) GeForce 1080 is out with the 2080 on the horizon. Kind of makes me want to question what the developers and testers are running.

As far as maximum versus minimum settings for KATL go, I have not seen a difference in frame rate. I will get between 6fps at the slowest when the tower view is to the West and 32fps at the fastest when the tower view is to the East.  I always get a 60fps frame rate when sitting inside the cockpit.

RickyJ

Yeah, the view to the West kills mine, but to the East (less visual "stuff") it runs fine.  I'll have to try the cockpit view!

Well I was just playing KJFK with real traffic and real color KJFK on Tower!3D Pro SP2 from 1800 and I had to shut it down because it was lagging so badly, it was simply unplayable.  And I'm running an 8 core AMD-8350 (okay so technically it's a quad but still) at 4GHz with 8GB ram and 2GB video.  VERY disappointing as I was getting absolutely slammed and loving every second of it!  Lol  But I had to shut it down because it was like playing a new release of MSFS (you know, how they always made new versions that could only be run on computers that wouldn't be out for another 2 years  :p )

Well here's the strange thing: I started one session and in about 5 minutes it was slower than dirt .. only a few aircraft too.  So I restarted and got a good 4 hours with NO issues at all.  Then the other day I'm about 40 minutes in and, I don't know the exact numbers but it LOOKED like about 2 FPS.

~ John

Sorry, I forgot about this thread.  No Vic, nothing else running at all.  At first I thought maybe it was a conflict with Bandicam recording but it does it even when not recording.  I run a very clean setup on that PC, virtually nothing running in the background, no automatic updates (I prefer to update everything manually), etc.  Now I'm seeing others are experiencing slowdowns too and they seem to be with the addon airports.  I don't have KATL (yet!  Sorry Andrew!  Had to do KJFK first.  :)  ) but KJFK has shown performance issues that I never saw/see at KPHL or KLAX.

~ John

• 4 weeks later...

Guys:

I noticed that Shadows and the Advanced Settings options are framerate hogs. I experimented with turning them off one after another until I got rid of the annoying "airplane shuffle" stuttering that was going on (even at TIST!).

It did the trick.

16 hours ago, Pdubya said:

Guys:

I noticed that Shadows and the Advanced Settings options are framerate hogs. I experimented with turning them off one after another until I got rid of the annoying "airplane shuffle" stuttering that was going on (even at TIST!).

It did the trick.

Thanks, will try it again.  Pretty sure I have everything turned off/lowest settings when I play ATL and it still bogs the computer down to an unplayable level, but I'll double check.  I've been playing LAX a lot now as a result.  Thanks!!

8 hours ago, CL30 said:

Thanks, will try it again.  Pretty sure I have everything turned off/lowest settings when I play ATL and it still bogs the computer down to an unplayable level, but I'll double check.  I've been playing LAX a lot now as a result.  Thanks!!

CL30: If you have tried just about everything, then your computer is trying to tell you it doesn't have what it takes to handle the load. Tower!3D Pro may look a bit simplistic, but there is a LOT of stuff going on simultaneously. Adding the graphical bells and whistles only stresses it more. I should know as I have pretty robust PC with a Haswell E i7 5930K CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, GTX1080 Nvidia card, SSD hard drives and still can't run it full tilt.

18 minutes ago, Pdubya said:

CL30: If you have tried just about everything, then your computer is trying to tell you it doesn't have what it takes to handle the load. Tower!3D Pro may look a bit simplistic, but there is a LOT of stuff going on simultaneously. Adding the graphical bells and whistles only stresses it more. I should know as I have pretty robust PC with a Haswell E i7 5930K CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, GTX1080 Nvidia card, SSD hard drives and still can't run it full tilt.

I can run the other airports just fine, it's just ATL that it doesn't like.  My computer's not a beast, but it's not a slacker either.  Well, maybe by today's standards it's a slacker, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to chime in on this topic as well.  I tried Atlanta the other day and it was daytime with rainy weather and it bogged down to the point of unplayability.  This was the first time I've tried it since getting Real Traffic/Real Color.  I thought perhaps it was an issue with the rain and switched to clear weather... but I didn't go back to Atlanta to test it.

As a follow up to this issue.  I went and played with quite a few quality settings and loaded ATL.  The ADIRS was completely blank.  I closed out of Tower!3d Pro and relaunched it and changed some more settings... and then switched tabs without applying... and then went back and toggled a couple settings and applied settings this time, and launched.  I played for over an hour (game time) worth about 650 points with no horrible lag.  I think it was reflections I turned off and Shadows?  Either way I played on 2x speed for about 25 minutes and then 1x for another 15 minutes roughly without issue.

Antialiasing (AA) Settings:

I did some research on the Tower3D AA settings a week or two ago and wanted to share my findings.

Selection choices are:

• OFF
  • FXAA
  • SSAA
  • DLAA

If you really want to make use of antialiasing but still minimize the hit to framerate, make sure to choose FXAA. It has the least impact of the three kinds of AA that FeelThere offers for use. Of course if you are desperate, just turn it OFF instead.

Paul

• 3 months later...

I'm averaging 60 fps at ATL with all options maxed out, 100%  traffic at 1300 in stormy weather with this setup, but I think the graphic quality is much better unchecking all options on the right side of the option list. All I use is DLAA and high on the other two choices, right above the AA selection. Even with this performance, I still have the momentary a/c stoppage at LGA on rwy 4 passing E - arrival and departing all a/c -  so I figure it's something in the game causing it. Have the latest drivers, etc.

Intel Core (TM) i5-7600K CPU @ 3.8 GHz
RAM - 32 GB
Nvidia GeForce 1080Ti card with 11 G
Asus ROG PG278QR 27" monitor @ 2560 x 1440 - 144Hz