The simFlight Network Forums

Updater

ml0130

With what steam does with auto-updating when there is an update out. For the users that don't use the steam vision could the team look into possibly rolling out someone type of mass update program? Why I'm thinking of this is because it can get annoying to go through every link every couple months to see if there's an update out. Also, this could be a way to get rid of having to get a new download link every time one expires. But still, have some kind of key to validate that the user got it a legit way. Plus having an updater could be good if you need to reinstall the game to fix a problem with the files.

22 minutes ago, ml0130 said:

With what steam does with auto-updating when there is an update out. For the users that don't use the steam vision could the team look into possibly rolling out someone type of mass update program? Why I'm thinking of this is because it can get annoying to go through every link every couple months to see if there's an update out. Also, this could be a way to get rid of having to get a new download link every time one expires. But still, have some kind of key to validate that the user got it a legit way. Plus having an updater could be good if you need to reinstall the game to fix a problem with the files.

if u get the newsletter they will l tell u what updates are avilable an also on the forums u can see what updates are out as well

Ariel, have a look at the date shown on the sticky for the current Version Sheet. On the right  it still shows May 23. Unless you look at it regularly, you don't know it has been updated. In all the other posts, the latest updates also updates the date/time( if it is the same day).

When you update the sheet can you please update the date on the right of the screen. Then we can immediately see if there is an update.

The sheet is fully appreciated by all, but thus would be a good quick reference to go looking for an update.

TA

Kev M

• Like 1

Kev, thank you for the suggestion, most appreciated! 🙂 However, I believe that the dates/times are updated when other members post new comments. Given that this post is the original from May 23 and no other comments are allowed, the date will never change (or I have not found any way to change it 😐). Any other sugestions are welcome 🙂

Ariel,

All understood. I thought that might have been the case.

I see that Sky King has updated the date by adding another post, but as you say, you don't want it clogged up with additional posts. This keeps the update info clean.

Is it possible to put the info into another format, maybe pdf, or such, and attach it as an additional post to the sticky with perhaps the wording of "updater files updated to reflect new XXX airport or whatever the change is. That way the updater posts get a new date stamp. It would give a record of the updates via the posts date stamp. The .xxx updater info files can be downloaded/opened as we wish.

Anybody got a better idea, plse put it in here.

Kev M

4 hours ago, FeelThere Ariel said:

Well post a new comment every time something is released/updated explaining what has been updt/rlsd and delete the previous post each time. Thank you for all your great ideas. We´ll delete Sky King´s post later 🙂

Ariel,

Perhaps the post announcing an update could list the changes?  Other products call these 'version notes' which are very helpful to the user community. 

Wayne