The simFlight Network Forums

Tower 3d Pro - Holding pattern left/right command

Pedantic G

Hi all,

Looking through the operating manual I noticed a command for arrivals of `Enter holding pattern left/right` etc. 

Does/has, anyone use/used this command and if so what for as have never heard this used on any of the videos.

I assume the aircraft maintains a steady flight level during the pattern until you give the cleared to land command and also you need your wits about you to watch for collision alerts for following traffic or does it work like a stack process with reducing altitude as it completes the circle?

If not, can't think of the benefit of using this in 3d Pro

I just tested it, and the plane will climb to 15000 feet, fly runway heading then circle around and come back in for landing.

Similar if you tell it to go around, then tell it to enter final, but with a tighter turn radius.

Good job i was keeping an eye on it though or i would have got a penalty for not clearing it to land 😬

Ben

@gazza2868 as @hexzed tested it is not a "holding pattern" but instructing the pilot to re-enter a landing traffic pattern. A possible use is when a GA or slower plane is getting caught from behind by a faster plane to avoid a collision. You'll then need to feed this plane back into arriving traffic which could present a whole other set of issues. 🙂

The annotated user manual that @rameus shared has a good description:
Aircraft can enter a traffic pattern for landing when a safe landing is difficult. Be aware the aircraft will automatically re-enter the final descent path after the base leg of the pattern. This could create a dangerous situation as other aircraft may also be on their final descent to the runway. Be sure to maintain proper anticipated separation. 

I feel it's always easier in the "small plane, big plane" scenario  just to tell it to go around and contact departure for re sequencing. This prevents the problem with the mid air collision (and subsequent long and drawn NTSB investigation😋)

Of course this is just my preference

Ben

10 hours ago, hexzed said:

I feel it's always easier in the "small plane, big plane" scenario  just to tell it to go around and contact departure for re sequencing. This prevents the problem with the mid air collision (and subsequent long and drawn NTSB investigation😋)

Of course this is just my preference

Ben

I do this as well, however, they have to fly off the end of the radar before they reappear in the landing pattern on the other side of the radar, so it takes a while before the come back.

@hexzed and @Rob25, @gazza2868 made the statement that he "can't think of the benefit" of the command in question. I addressed that - more than likely I'd issue a go around in the scenario I mentioned too but that is somewhat irrelevant. So, in specifically addressing the point in the original post, is there a situation where you'd use the CALLSIGN, ENTER LEFT/RIGHT PATTERN RUNWAY XX command?

Personally, no i have not and would not use that particular command.

i do notice though it specifically states in the manual, "commands for local traffic".

So this would have some merit if you set up a say a custom ga  training schedule  scenario?

Capture.PNG