The simFlight Network Forums

New download updates don't show any version values

Hi There

On your site you kindly inform us about this:

If you download a version which is not the same as displayed on this page, *please* empty your browser's cache or make sure you have specified the right download folder, thank you. Also try pressing Ctrl-F5 which should force a direct reload of the page in case your ISP is caching any links on this page.

However unfortunately your download zips only show: "FSUIPC5.zip" without any version number whatsoever. 
If one after the extraction of the zip file then check the actual "Install FSUIP5.exe" one will only get the version of the installer version itself and NOT the actual FSUIPC version. So how would you expect us to verify that we actually have downloaded the most recent version?  

Cheers,
Morten  

29 minutes ago, Morten said:

unfortunately your download zips only show: "FSUIPC5.zip" without any version number whatsoever. 

That's always been the case. it has to be, because there are many sites which cross-link back to the same file.

30 minutes ago, Morten said:

If one after the extraction of the zip file then check the actual "Install FSUIP5.exe" one will only get the version of the installer version itself and NOT the actual FSUIPC version.

That's actually the same thing -- the Installer is made to specify the version it installs. Also it never does any harm running the Installer. An old version will never overwite a later one.

Pete

Hello Pete

Really now, that is not a reasonable argument: (Because) "That it has always been the case". Old men as we are, better be rational and keep evaluating according to development in our present time. In other words, plane and simple, naming a Zip file according to the relevant version number is what EVERY other developer does in these days, away from you!

About detail properties for the  "Install FSUIP5.exe": It says, file version 5.1.5.1 which obviously gives no clue to the present FSUICP version 5.154 in this relevant case!      

Hi,

if you just go to the official page http://www.fsuipc.com/ you will see any needed information of what you download

image.png.b5074eb25504952fa54337a2e7adb1ad.png

If you go to the Download Links\ Udated Moduls here in the Forum above, you will find as well all information about version numbers

• 35,985 posts
  • LocationNear Stoke-on-Trent, UK

Note that mostly this Announcement will contain only the changed modules. You will almost always need the main release installed first. For those please also check http://www.fsuic.com

The FS modules here, when supplied without Installer, need copying into the FS modules folder once extracted.

Please note the format here. The links for all the updates are listed first. For interim releases only, notes about changes are listed separately, below.

FOR FS9 AND EARLIER ONLY

Install complete FSUIPC version 3.999z9b Install FSUIPC 3.999z9b for FS9 and before
-- For changes see the History document in the full install update.

FSUIPC version 3.999z9b only, for those with 3.999z1 or later already installed FSUIPC 3.999z9b
-- Fixes an ancient and obscure bug which nevertheless can crash FS on loading with certain INI file arrangements.
-- The z9b update merely enables Registrations purchased after the end of 2015 to work. The new registration period now applies till the end of 2025.

PFC driver version 2.41 for FS9 and earlier PFC 2.41
(ZIP includes documentation)

FOR FSX, FSX-SE and Prepar3D

Install complete FSUIPC version 4.974 Install FSUIPC4.974 for FSX, FSX-SE and Prepar3D versions 2.5, 3.0 - 3.4 (32-bit only: all versions to date of release)
Changes since 4.96 are now included in the History document in the FSUIPC Documents folder supplemented by the Changes document in the ZIP.

FSUIPC 4.974b DLL only, for current 4.974 users FSUIPC4974b.zip
-- This interim update provides an improved Lua ext library. Those included functions operating on external application windows now more reliably find and act on the top level window, as generally necessary to have effective keyboard and state changes (min/max etc) recognised and acted upon.

FSUIPC 4.974c DLL only, for current 4.974 users who move on to FSX-SE Beta build 63003.
Download FSUIPC 4.974c. Unzip the DLL and put it into your FSX-SE build 63003 Modules folder.
-- NOTE that this version is identical to 4.974b except when running in FSX-SE build 63003 where the following aren't working:

-- Wind smoothing (only used in conjnction with external weather apps)
-- Friction table access
-- Mouse macros
-- SimConnect text diversion
-- AI Traffic deletion (eg for ZAP facility and traffic limiting)
-- Reading and changing traffic settings by program

FOR Prepar3D 4 (64-bit)

Install complete FSUIPC version 5.154: Install FSUIPC5
This is the 64-bit version. Please see the History document installed for you in the FSUIPC Documents folder for details of the changes since the very first release, 5.10.
IMPORTANT: 5.124 and later versions are only suitable for use with P3D version 4.1 and later!  They will not work correctly with version 4.0.

N.B. An up-to-date list of assignable P3D4 controls is now produced automatically, in the PDF Documents folder, each time FSUIPC5 is used with a new build of P3D.

A list of changes in included in the downloaded ZIP file. Please do note the point about Mouse Macros needing re-making when you update P3D to version 4.4 or later.

PFCFSX driver for FSX, FSX-SE and P3D, and
PFCcom64 driver for P3D version 4

PFCFSX+PFCcom64
-- minor updates for FSX
-- 64-bit version for use with P3D 4 included

Thomas

Hi there Thomas 

I much appreciate your interest for this subject. However I'm sorry to tell you that you unfortunately completely missed out the very obvious and straightforward point to the subject, which is simply to add a version number to the zip file. That's all!

Cheers my friend      

Hi,

There is an easy solution, which I use since the beginning: When I download the ZIP file, I save it as FSUIPC_xxx.zip (with xxx being the version). By that I always know, which version I am installing and I can step back if there is a problem with the latest release (which did not happen as the tool is perfect). So this can be solved easily.

Rgds

Reinhard

Hi,

I didn't missed the point but do what a developer expect, having a look into the included Installing and Registration FSUIPCx.pdf that comes with any FSUIPC version. As there might be important information before installing blind.

This included PDF file is seen as soon you open the ZIP file that contains the Installer file. And that PDF file is always up-to-date with the actual version number of FSUIPC that will be installed.

image.thumb.png.6c1d2e1f0fdaa21a4aac5c563e94f444.png

Thomas

9 hours ago, Morten said:

However I'm sorry to tell you that you unfortunately completely missed out the very obvious and straightforward point to the subject, which is simply to add a version number to the zip file. That's all!

But, sadly, you missed the point that I made, which is that many sites, including the sales one here on SimMarket, link directly to the downloadable file and it just is not possible to have them all change at the same time we provide an update. That's why we have to use a generic name with no version number.

Pete

I will not be including the version number in the zip file name, for reasons that Pete has already explained. The version properties of the installer should reflect the version of FSUIPC that it installs, but I sometimes forget to update this. I'll try to remember in future.

I will close this topic.