The simFlight Network Forums

tower 3d pro keeps crashing

Dvb1998

7 hours ago, Dvb1998 said:

i've not done a reinstall

You should do that!

Based on the error.log an Access Violation occurs, which means that a certain section of e.g. memory cannot be accessed.
For games, the problem can often be solved by a complete reinstallation.

Other reasons can be that an outdated or faulty DirectX version is installed, no current drivers for graphics card or sound card are installed or configured incorrectly, or a third-party software blocks parts of the game...

• What Windows Version are you using?
  • What DirectX Version are you using? (Press Win-Logo + R, type dxdiag and click OK; Version is shown on the first page.)
  • Are you using the latest drivers for your graphics card and sound card?
  • Have you verified the game files integrity through Steam? (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335)
  • Are the files E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Tower 3D Pro\tower3d.exe and E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Tower 3D Pro\tower3d_Data\TowerSpeak\towerspeakbridge.exe on the exception list or marked as save applications in your anti-virus software?
  • How do you start the game as Admin? (Do not start Steam with admin rights!)
  • Do you have (home office related) software installed that could interfere with the UnityPlayer the game uses, like Citrix Receiver or Citrix Workspace.

- win 10 pro version 2004 build 19041.610

- DX 12

afbeelding.png.5e4851fb147957d06aa96610bc3ec44d.png

- i have the latest update for my devices

- game files have been verified, did not fix it, neither did reinstalling via steam

- game is started as admin, by marking it as always start as admin via the properties of the .exe

- i do not have citrix products installed. only MS office stuff.

Assuming that your hard drive or RAMs are not defective, it is still possible that some installed software, such as an antivirus or other security software, could still have a negative impact.
Unfortunately, an Access Violation is not a very specific error. Annoyingly, it can have a variety of causes, from rights or memory management under Windows down to the BIOS. Further measures could include steps such as a clean boot or other actions that, if not done properly, could be potentially harmful to your system. Since I am not a certified technician, I will not suggest any further steps here.

Have you already contacted the developer FeelThere directly, with reference to this thread?
https://feelthere.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
The developer should be able to interpret the logs better than I am.

If the developer can't help, I hope they can, it might also be an idea to post in Microsoft's Windows Forum or an independent Windows Forum. There will certainly be some users who have a lot of experience with Access Violation issues.

thank you for the help for now.

i don't assume it'll be hardware related, as this is the only program i'm having issues with.

i'll contact the developers via the link, s i was under the assumption that they were checking here as it is linked on their site as support.

1 hour ago, Dvb1998 said:

was under the assumption that they were checking here as it is linked on their site as support

They do, but a contact through ZenDesk seems to be a bit more effective.
If your problem can be solved, which I hope it can, it would be great if you could leave a short post with the solution, in case someone else has the same problem.

@Dvb1998 I see your Windows version´s latest update is 2004. We know for sure that there are some issues the 2004 update brought to our Tower3DPro game that were solved by uninstalling the 2004 update. However a newer update was released on October 27th if I´m not wrong, the 2010 for Win10. Is there a way you could obtain this update and see if the issues you are experiencing are solved? 

26 minutes ago, FeelThere Ariel said:

We know for sure that there are some issues the 2004 update brought to our Tower3DPro game that were solved by uninstalling the 2004 update.

Weren't these problems related to speech recognition because Windows has reset certain settings by outsourcing Cortana? As far as I can see, v2004 should not be the cause for an Access Violation if installed correctly. (I am of course not omniscient!)
Please do not get me wrong. If the problem can be solved by installing the current Windows version, I would be very happy for @Dvb1998.

i have not yet had the 2010 update of windows.

however, i have done a bios update since then, and it appears to have solved the issue, as i have now played for 1.5 hours straight without crashing.

thus it appears to have been a bios issue of some sorts

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Dvb1998 said:

i have not yet had the 2010 update of windows.

Assume you mean v 2010
You can obtain this by automatic downloads in Windows v10
However you can also force it, and I recommend it

I have nine PC, and they have all updated now
The PC running Tower 2011 and Tower 3D updated a few months ago now

3 minutes ago, MJKERR said:

Assume you mean v 2010
You can obtain this by automatic downloads in Windows v10
However you can also force it, and I recommend it

when i let windows look for updates, it does not progress past V2004.

could be a regional thing, as my device language/location is set to NL

1 minute ago, Dvb1998 said:

when i let windows look for updates, it does not progress past V2004
could be a regional thing, as my device language/location is set to NL

It should not matter, as I managed to force an update to v2010 within a few minutes

2 hours ago, Dvb1998 said:

it appears to have been a bios issue of some sorts

An Access Violation may well be related to an outdated or faulty firmware (here the BIOS).
Thanks for the info.

Concerning the Windows update, I am with @crbascott.

31 minutes ago, crbascott said:

Personally, I wouldn't force anything if you don't need to.

Personally, I hold back on Windows updates until they have been checked and found safe by independent sources, e.g. computer magazines.
There have simply been too many problems with Windows updates in the past. The last big problem was Update KB4549951 in April, which caused crashes and random, unsolicited reboots for hundreds of thousands of users. It usually takes Microsoft 2 weeks to 2 months to fix such problems and provide an improved update.

Edit: For updates that close a critical vulnerability, I take the risk and install them as soon as Windows is suggesting it.

Edited by EliGrim