The simFlight Network Forums

Schedule creation - Airport Data

pocketdynamo87

Hey guys,

I'm currently working on a few custom schedules. I think I've got the hang of it pretty well by now. However, I can only find current airport data, which means of course reduced traffic due to the pandemic. Now, I'd like to create a few schedules with more traffic, according to pre-pandemic schedules, for example for KEWR and PHNL. Does anyone have an idea were I could get data for these airports for the summer 2019 season, for instance?

Once I compiled those, I'm happy to share the schedules with you guys.

13 minutes ago, scoobflight said:

Historical airport traffic data can purchased from sites like Flightaware.  Very expensive.

That's what I suspected... Actually, I have a business plan subscription to Flightradar 24 at the moment. With that, I can trace individual flights back to three years prior, but I can't find the option to view the complete activity at a given airport further back then 36 hours or so.

52 minutes ago, EliGrim said:

You could try https://www.flightera.net/ but if I'm not mistaken, the data here goes back 3 years as well and information on gates or terminals will also be hard to get. I assume with your FR24 membership you get the same information.

Ah! Thanks for the link, I didn't know that. That is most interesting! You can actually search for arrivals/departures on specific dates and it'll provide the data for you. That's what I was looking for!

36 minutes ago, pocketdynamo87 said:

That's what I was looking for!

Really? Is a mass download of flights possible (like on FR24 and FA) or do you have to view each flight individually? This site has been mentioned before but pulling a day’s worth of flights (or a week’s worth) looks to be a brutal exercise.

Maybe I'm not aware what exactly is possible with FR24 and FA. How do you download data from FR24, for example? I would just copy and paste it to a word file - or directly into EliGrim's Custom Schedule Creator. While I can't do the latter with the data from flightera.net, I can certainly copy and paste it to a word document. Only obstacle is that it doesn't display the aircraft type used for the flight... You'll have to click on the flight number to see that. So yes, that is a lot more work... And, of course, you'd have to type in every flight manually to the schedule creator.

On 8/29/2021 at 7:46 PM, crbascott said:

This site has been mentioned before but pulling a day’s worth of flights (or a week’s worth) looks to be a brutal exercise.

That is the website I use, but from memory it is limited to the last five years
You can search by route, then open each flight in its own tab within browser
However, no more than about 20 searches are permitted within a 15 minute period, the IP address then becomes blocked for 30 minutes
It took me about three days to complete OMDB and about four days to complete EGLL using this method

4 hours ago, MJKERR said:

That is the website I use, but from memory it is limited to the last five years
You can search by route, then open each flight in its own tab within browser
However, no more than about 20 searches are permitted within a 15 minute period, the IP address then becomes blocked for 30 minutes
It took me about three days to complete OMDB and about four days to complete EGLL using this method

Thanks for confirming ... a brutal exercise indeed.