The simFlight Network Forums

Tower3D Pro: Need help troubleshooting schedule/terminal files

koohead

OK, took a crack at modifying some schedule files I found, and when I try to start the game now it gets stuck at 54%. Based on some searches, I'm sure I have a typo somewhere in the files I've edited....but I haven't been able to find it 😞 anyone have some time to take a look? Attached is my output log, schedule file, and terminal file. thx!

output_log.txt kphx_schedule.txt kphx_terminal.txt

1 minute ago, crbascott said:

@kooheadJust doing a quick check and it looks like you have some time formatting issues.  You need to make sure your hours have the leading zero. For example 9:33 should be 09:33.

ah. OK. will change the column format. thx! Is there a post somewhere that outlines the format requirements for the various txt files? 

I have most all of the custom schedules for PHX plus I also use @EliGrim's Schedule Builder and his new Schedule Creator.  I've created master text files for my airplanes, airports, airlines and terminal text files for each airport I have.  The master files include a combination/consolidation of everything from the various custom schedules that I have.  I usually then only have to replace the commercial and GA schedule text files when I change from one custom schedule to another.  I've attached my current PHX master text files if you want to give them a try.  However, my terminal file was fairly accurate until they closed down Terminal 2 and moved ASA, BTQ, QXE, NKS and UAL to the new (renovated) Terminal 3.  I believe that it has more gates than the game's Terminal 3, so I'm hoping I won't lose any flights to "no free terminal" issues (going from a total of 24 available gates between the two terminals to 15 total available gates at Terminal 3).  Not sure which Terminal 3 gates are for which airlines (north terminal or south terminal) so I just put the airlines from Terminal 2 into both the game's Terminal 3 north and south terminals to spread the flights out to help avoid losing flights due to the game's Terminal 3 configuration with potentially limited gates.  Also, in most custom schedules EJA, MNU, JSX, GAJ, SLH, VTE would usually be included in the custom schedule's GA schedules (they are private chartered airlines) so they normally wouldn't need to be specifically listed in Terminal 1 (GA).  However, FlightAware which I use for Schedule Creator includes them in their commercial airline schedules; therefore, it is easier for me to list them in Terminal 1 and then I don't have to rebuild their flights into the Schedule Creator session's GA schedule.  

The “B738” is in my PHX airplanes master text file or you can copy and paste or enter this into your PHX “airplanes.txt” file:

B738-738-BOEING 737-800                           -NARROW BODY JET

Hope this helps.

PS.  If anyone knows where specific PHX Terminal 3 airlines' gates are located (north or south terminal), I'd appreciate if you could let know. 

kphx_airlines.txt kphx_airplanes.txt kphx_airports.txt kphx_terminal.txt

Thanks MJKERR for noticing the error with that BA flight.  pretty sad considering i've personally taken that flight many many times 🙂

I can look into the GA flights but pretty sure that's contained in a separate schedule file? I'll try removing those files as well.

Thanks for including your master files Ron...I tried to use your airplanes file but hung at the same point. My schedule must be calling 738 or 739 wrong?? the 3rd column of the schedule file should just be the 3 char plane designation as found in the 2nd column of the airplane file correct?? 

As far as how I created this schedule, I took a custom schedule from ATControl-Joe and tried to match up the airlines and plane types with what was in the RC manifest files (so that I would not have any white planes).  I didn't change any times or airports or any of that. I believe his download contained an airplane.txt files as well, so that was what mine was (didn't make any edits). I did make edits to the terminal file, trying to move all GA flights to the now non-existent Terminal 2 and moving all Cargo flights to the South Cargo terminal.  Other than that...didn't make any changes.

I guess I'll start over and make one set of changes at a time and see where things blow up 🙂

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MJKERR said:

I use flightera.net to find out the history of specific departures (up to 18 months old, so we are up to September 2019 now)

Thank you for your response and suggestion/info; however, @EliGrim just fulfilled my request in @koohead's other KPHX Thread.  However, I'll keep it in mind in case I need it for a future airport (never hurts to have extra knowledge).

32 minutes ago, koohead said:

I did make edits to the terminal file, trying to move all GA flights to the now non-existent Terminal 2 and moving all Cargo flights to the South Cargo terminal. 

Unfortunately, the error messages in the log file can be cryptic. The issue has nothing to do with the B738, but is actually due to the terminal edits you made. It's ok to move cargo airlines to one terminal, but the game engine and/or airport is expecting an entry for Terminal_west_cargo and Terminal_east_cargo in your kphx_terminal.txt file.

Instead of deleting these entries and assuming you don't want anything to use these "terminals" I would suggest adding the following to your terminal file: 

Terminal_west_cargo: XXX
Terminal_east_cargo: XXX

In addition to the above issue, you are going to be dropping a few flights because of an invalid airport code (MSD). I believe the airport code you actually want to use is SJD. Unfortunately, Joe had a tendency for bugs and his GA schedules were not realistic. 

9 minutes ago, crbascott said:

Unfortunately, the error messages in the log file can be cryptic. The issue has nothing to do with the B738, but is actually due to the terminal edits you made. It's ok to move cargo airlines to one terminal, but the game engine and/or airport is expecting an entry for Terminal_west_cargo and Terminal_east_cargo in your kphx_terminal.txt file.

Instead of deleting these entries and assuming you don't want anything to use these "terminals" I would suggest adding the following to your terminal file: 

In addition to the above issue, you are going to be dropping a few flights because of an invalid airport code (MSD). I believe the airport code you actually want to use is SJD. Unfortunately, Joe had a tendency for bugs and his GA schedules were not realistic. 

Thank you! 

37 minutes ago, crbascott said:

Interesting, earlier today I modified my PHX terminal file by removing all the airlines from Terminal 2 (however I did leave the "Terminal_2:" in the file) but I didn't use any place holders ("XXX") and the PHX session started just fine.  However, I do think using a place holder is probably a good idea so I'm going to put one in for Terminal 2 and for any future modifications I might make.

1 hour ago, Ron C said:

Interesting, earlier today I modified my PHX terminal file by removing all the airlines from Terminal 2 (however I did leave the "Terminal_2:" in the file) but I didn't use any place holders ("XXX") and the PHX session started just fine.  However, I do think using a place holder is probably a good idea so I'm going to put one in for Terminal 2 and for any future modifications I might make.

If I’m not mistaken, leaving an entry blank could result in any airline using that terminal. Hence the use of XXX.

thanks everyone for the help. once I fixed the terminal file everything loaded without issue.  I'll have to play around with the airports and see what I can do to fix all the issues. I suppose I can add to the airport file, or just change the schedule. Another project for another day...

2 hours ago, crbascott said:

If I’m not mistaken, leaving an entry blank could result in any airline using that terminal. Hence the use of XXX.

2 hours ago, EliGrim said:

You are not mistaken.

Makes sense, I guess.  I'm not a programmer whiz kid, but I didn't know an airplane in this game could on its own just decide to taxi to or spawn at a terminal that it wasn't assigned to in the terminal file (if that is what you are saying).  However, I accept your expertise that it can happen.  Anyway, I had already put a place holding "XXX" for my Terminal 2 before your posts.  Thank you guys for providing the info and insight (you learn something new every day). 

3 hours ago, Ron C said:

I didn't know an airplane in this game could on its own just decide to taxi to or spawn at a terminal that it wasn't assigned to in the terminal file (if that is what you are saying)

If you have a terminal with no assigned airlines and one or more airlines that are not assigned to a terminal, they will use the free terminal if there is a suitable gate for the size of the aircraft. It is more unlikely that the terminal will be used if all airlines in the schedule are assigned to other terminals. I can't say if they then will spawn at this "free" terminal, this didn't happen during my tests back then, but it can happen under certain circumstances that airlines will taxi to this terminal. To be on the safe side, it is therefore advisable to use an unused code for the terminal that is not supposed to be served.

6 hours ago, EliGrim said:

f you have a terminal with no assigned airlines and one or more airlines that are not assigned to a terminal, they will use the free terminal if there is a suitable gate for the size of the aircraft. It is more unlikely that the terminal will be used if all airlines in the schedule are assigned to other terminals. I can't say if they then will spawn at this "free" terminal, this didn't happen during my tests back then, but it can happen under certain circumstances that airlines will taxi to this terminal. To be on the safe side, it is therefore advisable to use an unused code for the terminal that is not supposed to be served.

Thank you for the explanation.  I now understand and it also now makes more sense to me.

• koohead changed the title to Tower3D Pro: Need help troubleshooting schedule/terminal files
18 hours ago, MJKERR said:

There appear to be two configurations :

There’s actually three. Gates have a parameter called termlimit and there are three values that allow the following planes to park:

0 - props
1 - anything but heavy
2 - all, including heavy.

But, unfortunately, this parameter is not visible to us so there’s really nothing we can do with it.

4 hours ago, MJKERR said:

Does not seem to apply at EGLL

There’s more to life than just EGLL. 😀 If you run a test at KPHL using Terminal D you’ll find 2 gates that only props can park at and two gates where only an A388 can park.

4 hours ago, MJKERR said:

Tested with DH4 and this too would use any stand

A DH4 can park anywhere. The termlimit parameter specifies the max plan size allowed.