The simFlight Network Forums

Taxiing

osulover15

13 hours ago, crbascott said:

Criticism is always easier than constructive solutions. How would you have the commands work in the next version of Tower?

I wouldn't have them in the game at all.

It should just be taxi to terminal

2 hours ago, osulover15 said:

I wouldn't have them in the game at all.

It should just be taxi to terminal

Which would be incorrect for JFK, because they use ramps (although ramp is non-standard phraseology). On-block / off-block handling is managed by the ramp controller, not the ground controller, who starts to work with an aircraft as soon as it seeks to leave the ramp and enter either A or B.

It would also be incorrect for EDDM, because a lot of aircraft parking spots aren't connected to a terminal. They end on the apron, with bus transfer to the terminal. And apron is international standard phraseology.

• Upvote 1

@osulover12,

I am by no means an expert on this but from the reading I have done, ramp seems to have started because some airports actually had 'ramps' so they served seaplanes too, which used the ramp and it stuck, but is mainly in the US and Canada.  It seem that Apron is the more accepted 'correct' term for the area. As commented by DeltaVII a lot of parking is on the apron and you board the plane with a set of stairs, which is the way it was for many years.  I think the reason Terminal has become more common is the addition of JetBridge, Skybridge or what ever you want to call it (another thing with more than one name), and exit the plane directly into the terminal or the concourse (woops another one with more than one name).  Of course then you get in you car and drive on the highway, thruway, road, street, avenue......oh this is getting confusing.  Different areas use different terms for the same thing, as long as you know what they mean what does it matter?  Use the one you like. I use ramp since I have listened to a lot of JFK comms, but it doesn't bother me when someone uses Terminal.  A controller that has been using Ramp for 25 yrs isn't about to change unless someone makes him so each airport uses the term they want to.  Most don't change terms unless it becomes a matter of safety. 

Just my 3 cents.

Peabody

By the way: What's the name for the guy/gal on the ground handling an aircraft's preparations for the start, coordinating between cockpit crew, OPS, gate personnell, apron workers etc. including overseeing load distribution, TOW, pushback?

Yeah, right: Ramp Agent...

Another good (enough) reason to use "ramp".

1 hour ago, DeltaVII said:

By the way: What's the name for the guy/gal on the ground handling an aircraft's preparations for the start, coordinating between cockpit crew, OPS, gate personnell, apron workers etc. including overseeing load distribution, TOW, pushback?

Yeah, right: Ramp Agent...

Another good (enough) reason to use "ramp".

Depending on the region. In Germany we use the term Ramp Agent as you decribeed it. In the US Ramp Agents are what we call "Loaders" and Ramp Agents are called Dispatchers(?) while Dispatchers in my opinion work in an OCC. So, I prefer the term Turnaround Coordinator...

Back to topic: I would prefer to thel tha A/C to "Taxi To Position XYZ"...

And next question for Taxi Out: Would it be possible to implement command like "Long/Short Push", "Extend Push/Pull Forward Abeam Position" or at least "Face East/West/North/South"?

On 6/13/2018 at 10:00 AM, Speedbird2779 said:

And next question for Taxi Out: Would it be possible to implement command like "Long/Short Push", "Extend Push/Pull Forward Abeam Position" or at least "Face East/West/North/South"? 

That's not a bad suggestion. I quite often hear the cmd to "XXX push back, tail facing North/South. This can be used in congested terminal areas, where a one direction flow is needed to keep arrivals & departures all flowing in the same direction.

Kev M