The simFlight Network Forums

What's the verdict on KPHX?

Avwriter

I see that KPHX is on sale for the first time.  It is one of the few airports I never got around to picking up.  Since I have a bunch of other parallel layout airports (KLAX, KATL, KMCO, EDDM), I am curious if others find that KPHX has a unique enough layout to make it worth while?  Of course the fact that Craig has already done a full week of schedules for it is already a big plus 😉  Seriously, though, do you guys find yourselves coming back to this one often, or not so much?

Andrew

I play KPHX "often enough" (for someone loving JFK, that is). For me, it definitely leaves enough options for variation, like 8/26 for the northside and the 7s/25s for the southside, or 8/26 departure-only and the 7s/25s arrival only and vice-versa, or not using one of the runways at all, or closing down certain taxiways like S/T (due to the bridge being damaged)...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avwriter said:

I see that KPHX is on sale for the first time.  It is one of the few airports I never got around to picking up.  Since I have a bunch of other parallel layout airports (KLAX, KATL, KMCO, EDDM), I am curious if others find that KPHX has a unique enough layout to make it worth while?  Of course the fact that Craig has already done a full week of schedules for it is already a big plus 😉  Seriously, though, do you guys find yourselves coming back to this one often, or not so much?

Andrew

For various reasons, I like it a lot. I've flown through there quite often so the familiarity makes it fun for me. The design is solid and allows for controlling using realistic operations (runway, taxiways). There are some busy time periods in my schedules that are challenging for SP and MP as well, so that doesn't hurt. 🙂 Of all the airports released so far, I'd rank KPHX in the upper half (probably above 3 of the 4 you mentioned above).   

It is predominantly American and Southwest, but a few other airlines show up on occasion. To that point, if you have a few other airports Real Color for KPHX may not be necessary.