The simFlight Network Forums

Depatures & Arrivals in the same session

707FAN

A quick question for the schedule guru's (I'm being lazy)
Can the program handle an arrival and a departure with the same flight number  and operator in the same session.
e.g.

BA 590 Arr 19:02 from HNL
BA 590 Dep 19:59 to JFK

This would be in the same hour session. I am assuming that for this to work, the arrival time would have to be first and a reasonable time lag  (transit time) for the departure.

I would imagine that it would get confused if the times were not in that order.
This is for a realistic Retro schedule that I am creating. (well, as realistic as possible)

All info helps

Kev M

If you make the schedule idiot-proof, so that you never need a go-around on any runway and make sure you have a gate under any circumstance - yes.

Otherwise, you might get the departure spawning with a new plane while the old one is still on the field or approach (with one blocking the other) or arrive at the gate and request taxi in a less than realistic timeframe for the turnaround (worst case: immediately after de-spawning the arrival).

19 hours ago, hexzed said:

It would be better just to change the flight number.

@hexzed That's what I have done in the past. Usually increment the flight number by one, provided it doesn't give duplicate numbers for the same operator. If so, I find some a unique number. This mostly happens to US domestics & some Foreign flights. I am interested to see what happens. 

14 hours ago, DeltaVII said:

If you make the schedule idiot-proof, so that you never need a go-around on any runway and make sure you have a gate under any circumstance - yes.

Otherwise, you might get the departure spawning with a new plane while the old one is still on the field or approach (with one blocking the other) or arrive at the gate and request taxi in a less than realistic timeframe for the turnaround (worst case: immediately after de-spawning the arrival).

@DeltaVII I am doing SFO and there only seems to be QF & BA that do through flights. I'll give it a go & arrange the Arrival to be early in the hour and allow about 1.5 hrs transit and see what happens. I do hourly schedules with each hour starting from about 45 mins before the hr. and includes the playing hr + 4 hrs i.e. a total of five hours. 

Thanks to both for the info

Kev M

I did it in some of my more fun schedules playing like I had a weather situation diverting planes to the airport I was at.  I had them arrive early enough to ensure they landed and then it was up to me to get them to the gate before that same flight popped up for a departure towards the end of the session.  Giving myself 30 minutes between their arrival into the pattern and the supposed push worked decently but any go around or delays and I'd have issues with two flight numbers active having to delete one. 

Since the game does not always stick to the planned approach sequence, I personally would advise against using the same flight numbers for an airline. In most cases it works fine, but I have also experienced unwanted duplicates of flights when the same callsign is used more than once. A certain willingness to take risks can be fun, but here I would say: Better be safe than sorry. 😉